Siamese Dream, The Smashing Pumpkins
JVM
Jun 27 2007, 07:45 PM
Learning Roadie
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...se_Dream_Review

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 27 2007, 08:36 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (JVM @ Jun 27 2007, 01:45 PM) *

Album: Siamese Dream
Artist: The Smashing Pumpkins
Genre: Alternative Rock
Label: Virgin Records
Length: 1 Hour exactly
Track Listing:

1. Cherub Rock (4:58)
2. Quiet (3:41)
3. Today (3:19)
4. Hummer (6:57)
5. Rocket (4:06)
6. Disarm (3:17)
7. Soma (6:39)
8. Geek U.S.A. (5:13)
9. Mayonaise (5:49)
10. Spaceboy (4:28)
11. Silverfuck (8:43)
12. Sweet Sweet (1:38)
13. Luna (3:20)

Released roughly 2 years after their debut into the music world with Gish, The Smashing Pumpkins were not in an easy state of mind. In fact, tensions had probably never been higher since the band formed in '88. Frontman Billy Corgan himself had stated that if the album was not successful, it would mean the end of the Pumpkins. Instead, everything turned out perfectly and the album went multi platinum and became one of the Pumpkins defining moments.

Sound: 10/10. The Pumpkins have perfected their sound on this album. Full of amazing guitar solos, heavy riffs, soft acoustic parts, and dreamy soundscapes. It's not over produced or under produced (as far as the Pumpkins go, anyway, who may have upwards of 20 guitar tracks on a single song).

Lyrics/Vox: 8/10. Corgan has perfected his style by this point, and while he's probably not the absolute best lyricist of all time, he does what he does exceptionally well. He doesn't sound like anyone else.

Overall: 9/10. Throughout the course of the album, we encounter heavy riffs, angry and personal lyrics, and sonic wonderlands. It's the Pumpkins at both their heaviest, and their softest. Is it their best album? Personally, I would say yes, followed closely by Mellon Collie, the band's next album. One of my favorite albums.

I would give him 9/10 for lyrics/Vox. For the reasons you stated. Living in Lawrence Kansas (college town), I have to observe that about 6 or 7 years ago i saw a long line to the door of the Grenada theater who had camped out overnight, on perhaps the coldest night of winter. I walked up to a guy and said "what are you all doing?" He said (through chattering teeth) "Pumpkins".

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jun 28 2007, 12:09 AM
yea man great album. I fell inlove with Pumpkins when my friend made a music vid and hired me to play one of the guitarist. We did a video for Mayonaise and became a fan from there on.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 28 2007, 12:16 AM
Learning Roadie
I love mayonaise (though I hate the "food" product tongue.gif) it's a great song.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
Jun 30 2007, 09:26 AM
the smashing pumpkins are my all time favorite band. i LOVE this album and everything about it. listened to it several times smile.gif

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jul 1 2007, 09:03 PM
man I was listening to this album yesterday on the way to get some food. Volumed turned really loud and it was like I was back in the 90's again.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:30 PM