Middle Voice (also Called Mixed), Wanna figure this out...
Flanger
Apr 30 2008, 08:21 AM
GMC:er
Hey!

So I've been trying to learn how to sing and many people preach the 'miracle of the middle voice'. (Roger Love - "Set Your Voice Free", or Brett Manning's "Singing Success").

Basically what it is, is a mixture of head voice with chest. There is no 'break' when you go from chest to head... You know sometimes when you switch and the note is too high for chest and too low for head? Try to switch back and forth [between head and chest for the same note] and you'll get a yodel kinda sound (eeeks).

Now check this video for an example of middle voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwOgfDFI7PY

(mix = middle, belt = chest, legit = head)

From 00:52 you can hear a demonstration where he goes from chest, than in middle. It's smooth and cool laugh.gif

So if any of you know how to do this stuff, I would like to know...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It doesn't matter how much time you spend if you don't know the correct things to do, and the correct way of doing those things. Fifteen minutes of correct practice will do you more good, than 5 hours of incorrect, unintelligent practice. Bad practice just makes you better at playing badly!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 30 2008, 08:31 AM
Singing Instructor
laugh.gif
thanks for sharing this

This exercise is based on breath control,and a lot of practice,I would do a lesson with this exercise.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Nemanja Filipovic: Apr 30 2008, 08:36 AM

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 30 2008, 11:31 AM
Instructor
nice explanation and thanks for sharing

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 30 2008, 01:25 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Its all about training out the break in your voice, it takes a lot of time and effort, there is no magic bullet.

When you switch between head and chest voice, the vibration of your vocal chords changes in character - you need to get control over this so you can manage the change.

The first step is understanding the break and being able to step over it without it taking you by surprise.

Where the break occurs is controlled by a combination of volume and pitch, so you can practice this by singing a quiet note just below the break and making it louder and louder - eventually you will hit the break, keep going back and trying it again.

Also, keeping the volume constant you can sing a rising note and again, eventually you will hit the break. Keep trying that and eventually (so I believe) you are able to train the break out entirely.

I learned a lot of this from a book by Thopmas Appell called "How to hit a high C without straining" - he has a very analytical approach to singing that made a lot of sense to me (although I still suck!)

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 30 2008, 01:45 PM
Singing Instructor
Thanks Andrew for the great explanation.
very helpful stuff.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:54 AM