Holding Note
Tolek
May 19 2007, 07:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi GMC-guitarists,
I am still wondering how one can hold a note, always with the same power. An example: In this video at 3:38. Santana holds a bend from the 11th fret for 1 minute, but the tone doesn´t fade out. How does he do it?

Greetings,
Tolek

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
Kaneda
May 19 2007, 07:58 PM
Other side of the coin
I believe in that video (as is most often the case with Santana), he's standing just in the right spot to get perfect amp feedback (note he's - subtly - trying a couple of times before finding the exact spot).

There's many ways to get "long" sustain - the build of the guitar affects it, the pickups affect it. Compression effects and super high distortion can make it quite long. Looping (delay effect) can make it infinite, obviously... But none of the effects really get close in sounding as "natural" as the feedback sustain. There's also a sustain rig which basically feeds the pickup output to an electromagnet on the guitar, which then keeps the strings vibrating at the same frequency constantly - which sounds pretty much completely like amp feedback, but is a much more precise science. Santana often has tape marks on the stage for the spots he's figured out beforehand smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Tolek
May 20 2007, 02:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kaneda @ May 19 2007, 07:58 PM) *
I believe in that video (as is most often the case with Santana), he's standing just in the right spot to get perfect amp feedback (note he's - subtly - trying a couple of times before finding the exact spot).

There's many ways to get "long" sustain - the build of the guitar affects it, the pickups affect it. Compression effects and super high distortion can make it quite long. Looping (delay effect) can make it infinite, obviously... But none of the effects really get close in sounding as "natural" as the feedback sustain. There's also a sustain rig which basically feeds the pickup output to an electromagnet on the guitar, which then keeps the strings vibrating at the same frequency constantly - which sounds pretty much completely like amp feedback, but is a much more precise science. Santana often has tape marks on the stage for the spots he's figured out beforehand smile.gif

Thanks for the accurate answer, Kaneda. I tried it out and it worked, but only on some notes and with no bendings. Also, I found a link: Xtreme Musician. In fact, it isn´t very difficult, however my ears hurt because of the high volume. wacko.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:18 PM