When Metronome practicing.....
RIP Dime
Dec 31 2006, 06:02 PM
GMC:er
In Kris' lesson he always shows us patterns, but when practicing to a metronome is it better to practice only the pattern, or take the pattern, make a long run out of it and practice that? let me show you....

A pattern:
e--------------12-14-15----------------------------------------------------------------
B--12-13-15----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A long run made from the pattern above:
e--------------------------------------------------------14-15-17---------------------
B--------------------------------------------12-13-15---------------------------------
G--------------------------------11-12-14---------------------------------------------
D----------------------9-10-12-------------------------------------------------------
A------------9-10-12-----------------------------------------------------------------
E-10-12-14-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shred Cat
Dec 31 2006, 07:22 PM
QUOTE (RIP Dime @ Dec 31 2006, 06:02 PM) *
In Kris' lesson he always shows us patterns, but when practicing to a metronome is it better to practice only the pattern, or take the pattern, make a long run out of it and practice that? let me show you....

A pattern:
e--------------12-14-15----------------------------------------------------------------
B--12-13-15----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A long run made from the pattern above:
e--------------------------------------------------------14-15-17---------------------
B--------------------------------------------12-13-15---------------------------------
G--------------------------------11-12-14---------------------------------------------
D----------------------9-10-12-------------------------------------------------------
A------------9-10-12-----------------------------------------------------------------
E-10-12-14-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Either one I think. Are you working on picking? What you could do is move that pattern on different strings to get used to picking on low strings as well as high strings. Since the picking pattern remains the same on that run, you can isolate it with the single pattern.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Shred Cat: Dec 31 2006, 07:22 PM

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 31 2006, 08:35 PM
Lets go fishing!
I also had this question in mind!! I want to get really fast at certain scales!! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Dec 31 2006, 09:54 PM
QUOTE (Shred Cat @ Dec 31 2006, 07:22 PM) *
Either one I think. Are you working on picking? What you could do is move that pattern on different strings to get used to picking on low strings as well as high strings. Since the picking pattern remains the same on that run, you can isolate it with the single pattern.

That pattern was just an example, the question was meant for every pattern you would play to a metronome. But yes, I always move patterns around when metronome practicing, and if I feel comfortable with the speed, I improvise around with the pattern. I was just wondering if I was wasting my time moving patterns around during metronome practice.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 2 2007, 08:16 AM
GMC Founder
Well the last "speedpicking lesson vertical" lesson hopwfully answered this question? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:46 AM