Bending High Notes On A Short Scale Guitar, Any advice for easier bending?
Shime
Mar 7 2010, 09:43 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys,

One of my guitars is a Fender Jaguar, which is a short scale guitar, 24 inch (as opposed to the more average 24.75 or 25.5 inch). Bending strings a full note on this guitar gets increasingly difficult from the 12th fret upwards, which I assume is a logical result of the shorter scale. For example, I can only just manage a full note bend with the B and G string on the 17th fret.

Are there ways to make bending easier though? I am thinking about aspects of the setup, string gauge, type of strings... The action is set pretty low, I am using D'addario chrome flatwound strings 10-48s (the high strings are plate steel, 0.10-0.14-0.18), truss rod is set up OK...

Installing lighter gauge strings will not ease the tension for bending, or am I wrong? The only thing I can come up with is to choose lower standard tunings to ease tension and facilitate bending. Or are short scale guitars such as the Fender Jaguar just not made to 'bend' on?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 7 2010, 09:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yeah, You're wrong. Lighter string will be easier to bend..... but it's just a matter of training the strength in your hand/arm. Personally I would have practised all the time on this one, and then when You swith the guitar to a long scale, bending will be a piece of cake.

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Shime
Mar 7 2010, 10:06 PM
QUOTE (Staffy @ Mar 7 2010, 09:48 PM) *
Yeah, You're wrong. Lighter string will be easier to bend..... but it's just a matter of training the strength in your hand/arm. Personally I would have practised all the time on this one, and then when You swith the guitar to a long scale, bending will be a piece of cake.

//Staffay

So it's that simple eh? Then I'll switch to lighter gauge for the top strings. Thanks Staffy.

One other question though. I like the heavier gauge for the bottom strings. How does a mix of heavy bottom and light top strings affect the neck? Does it have any bad influence (for neck tension, truss rod etc.)?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 8 2010, 03:08 AM
Instructor
It will not be a problem, don't worry.

Regarding bends, try the lighter gauge as Staffay suggested. The sound will suffer, but at least you can practice without too much strain. Later you can apply same technique on thicker strings (while having some time to adjust ofc).

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Shime
Mar 8 2010, 08:38 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 8 2010, 03:08 AM) *
It will not be a problem, don't worry.

Regarding bends, try the lighter gauge as Staffay suggested. The sound will suffer, but at least you can practice without too much strain. Later you can apply same technique on thicker strings (while having some time to adjust ofc).

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 8 2010, 10:01 AM
Instructor
What about the action?
Higher action might help, try it. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Shime
Mar 8 2010, 10:11 AM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Mar 8 2010, 10:01 AM) *
What about the action?
Higher action might help, try it. smile.gif

I will, thanks Muris. One of the great things with Jaguars is that they have bridges with micro-adjustable height for each saddle/string (which is also something that can drive you mad!)

+Quote Post
sted
Mar 8 2010, 10:24 AM
Learning Rock Star
Funny really, i have 25.5 and 24.75 scale guitars with 10's on both but always find it easier to bend on the sorter scale?? Guess its psychological!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 8 2010, 03:20 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (sted @ Mar 8 2010, 10:24 AM) *
Funny really, i have 25.5 and 24.75 scale guitars with 10's on both but always find it easier to bend on the sorter scale?? Guess its psychological!

Could also have to do with the neck.
From a thick neck you'll get more force to your hands and fingers. On a think neck there's no way to get that much support, from the neck, to your hand so hand action will be faster but weaker.

+Quote Post
Shime
Mar 8 2010, 04:08 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 8 2010, 03:20 PM) *
Could also have to do with the neck.
From a thick neck you'll get more force to your hands and fingers. On a think neck there's no way to get that much support, from the neck, to your hand so hand action will be faster but weaker.

That also makes sense. The neck on my Jaguar is thicker than on my Gibson Explorer and my Aria Pro II (which are also longer scales and bend strings much more easily). Thanks for the comment

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Mar 8 2010, 05:52 PM
Instructor
try hybrid string sets, i'm using on my flying v the 3 low strings of a 10 set, and the 3 high strings of a 9 set, in the strat i'm using the bottom strings of a 11 set and the top of a 10 set.

also, i love putting xl frets on my guitars, the fatest and tallest the better ones, gives you less contact with the wood, and the bends are much more easy to perform smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Shime
Mar 8 2010, 08:20 PM
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Mar 8 2010, 05:52 PM) *
try hybrid string sets, i'm using on my flying v the 3 low strings of a 10 set, and the 3 high strings of a 9 set, in the strat i'm using the bottom strings of a 11 set and the top of a 10 set.

also, i love putting xl frets on my guitars, the fatest and tallest the better ones, gives you less contact with the wood, and the bends are much more easy to perform smile.gif

Thanks Adrian. Generally with a Jaguar heavier gauge is recommended because light strings run the risk of jumping out of the saddles when picked hard. But I think I will go with a hybrid set. I'm already using light top & heavy bottom strings on my other guitars and that works very well.

Re-fretting my guitar seems like a bit too drastic at the moment, but some day, who knows... Or maybe I will get the frets scalloped!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 9 2010, 01:41 AM
Instructor
Scalloping the frets just a bit would definitely help wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Mar 9 2010, 03:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Mar 8 2010, 11:52 AM) *

let us know if it feels better smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Shime
Mar 11 2010, 10:34 AM
I replaced the top strings with lighter gauge ones (10-13-17 in stead of 10-14-18) and raised the action slightly for those strings (the action was at its lowest possible).

And waddayaknow? It DOES bend more easily now smile.gif

So thanks all for your advice!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:38 PM