3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
The New Virtual Band, Let's rock!
Todd Simpson
Oct 20 2011, 05:40 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys smile.gif Looks like we are generating some buzz!

DOKUGAN: Sounds good to me smile.gif We are all here anyway, let's all move ahead and jam!

GITARRERO: I hadn't considered that, making non metal in to metal for our project, but why not? smile.gif Maybe we should pick a song/group that is a bit less detestable though. Just a song/band that doesn't make our group want to wince in pain. Youtube views or not, it should be a song that we at least want to play. Any body got any suggestions? It could be semi metal/rock, too though. For example, I heard a cover of Paranoid that I thought was good recently. Well, not great, but decent, done by "The Commander In Chief" a killer gal shredder.

Speaking of, IN FLAMES did a great cover of a Depeche Mode song. It turned out well.

DROP BOX:

Drop box is AWESOME! It's 2 GB of free online storage. Maybe we should give that a shot? I have not tried it for this type of thing but I already use and it's handy. We used Kompose a bit with quadrium and it was spiff as well but more involved in terms of the interface. Drop box is pretty simple, just a bucket. I'll go ahead and start a "share" on my account.

If you don't have one, go to www.dropbox.com and get one wink.gif

SOFTWARE:

Per usual, I'd suggest REAPER. IT's great and free. You have to click STILL EVALUATING after 30 days but that's all.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 20 2011, 06:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
I created a DropBox account. Probably best to share actual email addresses offline though.

Cheers.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 20 2011, 09:40 AM) *
DROP BOX:

Drop box is AWESOME! It's 2 GB of free online storage. Maybe we should give that a shot? I have not tried it for this type of thing but I already use and it's handy. We used Kompose a bit with quadrium and it was spiff as well but more involved in terms of the interface. Drop box is pretty simple, just a bucket. I'll go ahead and start a "share" on my account.

If you don't have one, go to www.dropbox.com and get one wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
quadrium
Oct 20 2011, 06:37 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 20 2011, 02:15 PM) *
This will be fun to follow! smile.gif
One of the easiest ways to share files is to install http://www.dropbox.com/.
It will make a local shared folder on your harddrives and you can easily copy paste files there when working on the project.

Yeah, i use dropbox too. It's really awesome and i think if we all use drobpox it would be great for this project smile.gif

QUOTE (Ulrik @ Oct 20 2011, 02:22 PM) *
I allready use dropbox, it seems you get more storage space when adding more friends.

And Dogukan you can just share some of your stuff, you know I liked your Paradox lyrics

Sure smile.gif Glad you liked the lyrics. I will make a drobpox folder and share wtih you guys, just tell me your e-mail addresses.

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Oct 20 2011, 07:23 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hey guys,
it's fine for me to move project quadrium here...so do we have to find another name for our this new baby? Something metal like "Todd and the toddlers" maybe? laugh.gif Okay, that sounds like a band from the sixties...
Anyway, when it came to covering I just thought about creating a youtube crowd at first, which seems easiest with recent superhits from the pop world. I think creating a non-metal song into metal or rock makes you reach out as a musician, but you have a certain line (e.g. melody) to follow. Why not pick a cool tune from Depeche Mode? Thinking of a thread not so long ago...why not cover an ABBA tune?!

Christian

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Oct 20 2011, 09:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
I don't know about ABBA:

If we could do something like this, I'd be proud:

And off course this one:

I actually think it's hard to decide on a song to metalize, but maybe Tonight tonight by The Smashing Pumpkins could be my suggestion.

I'm not sure what creature we will create, so I have a hard time finding a name just now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Oct 20 2011, 09:15 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Oh yeah, that Seether version totally rocks. How about covering "last christmas"? laugh.gif
A rocker / metal version of Hotel California could be quite a challenge and pretty cool. Let's just brainstorm a little for a start!

This post has been edited by Gitarrero: Oct 20 2011, 09:16 PM

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Oct 21 2011, 12:06 AM
Learning Rock Star
What do you guys have of your own material, that you want to share?

I have a little bit, sorry some of it is not recorded, just programmed midi.(I think I already uploaded them before)
It's ok to tear it apart and just use parts of it, if you think something is interesting.
It seems my songs always end up missing those cool little riffs, when made this way.

The one I call "Antimony" has an ok intro and outro I think, but the rest is not satisfying. And without vocals it's pretty boring.

"Within" is one I never did take the time to record fully. I think it has a couple of good parts, but maybe it's hard to imagine without real instruments. The intro sounds much better with a real guitar as you can hear.

Lets hear what you guys have, and it doesn't have to be the blackest of metal, and it doesn't have to be finished at all or super quality. A small riff will do

And what about signing up for this band if you haven't yet?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 21 2011, 12:26 AM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Oct 20 2011, 04:15 PM) *
Oh yeah, that Seether version totally rocks. How about covering "last christmas"? laugh.gif
A rocker / metal version of Hotel California could be quite a challenge and pretty cool. Let's just brainstorm a little for a start!

Some great suggestions smile.gif I think you have a good point with Hotel California, and there's the fact that it's great to solo over, is built for dual guitar leads, etc. We could do it as an instrumental and use guitar lead (sort of like Steve Vai does) instead of a vocal line and just keep the same melody. People know the words so we may be able to get away without using them.

Or we could to a metal vocals version and see if that works?

Abba might be fun too smile.gif Death Metal Abba! Hmmm. "Knowing Me Knowing You" maybe? From them could work. Again, maybe instrumental version. But maybe deathy vocals if we could pull it off smile.gif

+Quote Post
quadrium
Oct 21 2011, 01:27 AM
Learning Tone Master
Let's make a vote and decide what song we cover and start working smile.gif I can't wait to start biggrin.gif

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Oct 21 2011, 07:58 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hotel California is on youtube in every possible genre

But it seems anything remotely popular has ben metalized already.

Let's get all your suggestions today, and we will vote tommorrow ok?

Eagles - Hotel California
Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight tonight
Lenny Kravitz - Fly away
Carl Douglas - Kung fu fighting
ABBA - ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
quadrium
Oct 21 2011, 10:39 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ulrik @ Oct 21 2011, 06:58 AM) *
Hotel California is on youtube in every possible genre

But it seems anything remotely popular has ben metalized already.

Let's get all your suggestions today, and we will vote tommorrow ok?

Eagles - Hotel California
Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight tonight
Lenny Kravitz - Fly away
Carl Douglas - Kung fu fighting
ABBA - ?

Seems fine smile.gif I am up for hotel california too smile.gif

--------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Oct 21 2011, 10:44 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Yeah, why not go for Hotel California for a start, we can do other covers in the future as well smile.gif
I think it would be cool to record our own lyrics to it, though.

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Oct 21 2011, 10:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hotel California it is then smile.gif

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Oct 21 2011, 11:44 PM) *
Yeah, why not go for Hotel California for a start, we can do other covers in the future as well smile.gif
I think it would be cool to record our own lyrics to it, though.

I was just trying to fit the lyrics of DragonForce - thru the fire and flames.
It works for me biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 22 2011, 12:32 AM
That version on the youtube vid is pretty darn impressive. Sounds like the vocals from the original song. It's a great song smile.gif It is over 5 minutes long and complicated so creating the backing tracks will be a fun challenge.

Before we jump straight to it, maybe a bit more brainstorming? Or we can start on that and keep brainstorming for the next one.

Who is up for giving the drums for California a shot? If we can get the rythm section down, it will help quite a bit. So Drums and bass are the first tracks we need.

Is there a simpler tune, maybe a Black Sabbath or early Judas Priest tune that would be fun? (sabbath) War Pigs, Iron Man, (Priest)) Breaking the law, Electric eye. Just as ideas.

We can always just start and pick another as we go and see how it goes with California. I didn't actually think we would just zip straight to that tune, as I was just thinking out loud, but we can jump in and wing it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Oct 22 2011, 12:36 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Sounds like a fun idea Ulrik! laugh.gif
@Todd: Let's just do it man! BFD Eco arrived today, but I can't program the drums myself with the eco version. But I'll try with the other software I have.

This post has been edited by Gitarrero: Oct 22 2011, 12:38 AM

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Oct 22 2011, 01:14 AM
Learning Rock Star
Yes lets go for it!
Great that we have someone to do the drums

Seriously I did put fire and flames lyrics on it. Is that too crazy?

On a cold winter morning, in the time before the light
In flames of death's eternal reign we ride towards the fight
When the darkness has fallen (down), and the times are tough all right
The sound of evil laughter falls around the world tonight

Fighting hard, fighting on for the steel, through the wastelands evermore
The scattered souls will feel the hell bodies wasted on the shores
On the blackest plains in hell's domain, we watch them as we go
In fire and pain, and once again we know

[Chorus:]
So far away we wait for the day
For the lives all so wasted and gone
We feel the pain of a lifetime lost in a thousand days
Through the fire and the flames we carry on

This post has been edited by Ulrik: Oct 22 2011, 01:15 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 22 2011, 03:20 AM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Oct 21 2011, 07:36 PM) *
@Todd: Let's just do it man! BFD Eco arrived today, but I can't program the drums myself with the eco version. But I'll try with the other software I have.

BFD will respond to midi so you can program a drum track in your daw using a keyboard or what not. Just record it and BFD will play it back. Also, you can pick a grove from ECO drag it in to your timeline in reaper and edit it that way.

Some folks use a midi drum pad. Korg has one for about $50

http://shop.korgusa.com/products/productde...7.0.0?pp=6&

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 24 2011, 04:15 PM
It's def a new Mashup! Why not? Once we get a final mix we can try several versions, with vocals, guitars as vocals, another song for vocals. Whatever sounds fun smile.gif

QUOTE (Ulrik @ Oct 21 2011, 08:14 PM) *
Yes lets go for it!
Great that we have someone to do the drums

Seriously I did put fire and flames lyrics on it. Is that too crazy?

On a cold winter morning, in the time before the light
In flames of death's eternal reign we ride towards the fight
When the darkness has fallen (down), and the times are tough all right
The sound of evil laughter falls around the world tonight

Fighting hard, fighting on for the steel, through the wastelands evermore
The scattered souls will feel the hell bodies wasted on the shores
On the blackest plains in hell's domain, we watch them as we go
In fire and pain, and once again we know

[Chorus:]
So far away we wait for the day
For the lives all so wasted and gone
We feel the pain of a lifetime lost in a thousand days
Through the fire and the flames we carry on

Great wink.gif As a head start, you might be able to find a midi version of the drums for the song online that you could then just modify. But you can always start from scratch too. It's a great way to learn drum programming to try to replicate something and the play with it a bit. You can put the mp3 of the original tune in a track in your DAW (hopefully reaper) then use a midi track for the drums. That way you have a reference.

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Oct 21 2011, 07:36 PM) *

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Oct 24 2011, 04:53 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
First of all, I love Ulrik's idea with the different lyrics...this will catch most listeners by surprise laugh.gif

Okay, I'm volunteering to give the drums a shot, maybe you guys could mess around with different guitar tracks in the meantime? I don't want you to wait for my drum results, it's just too much pressure! I'm a shy guy with a lack of confidence!
Okay, that was kind of exaggerated...just get busy with your Axes! smile.gif

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
quadrium
Oct 25 2011, 08:05 PM
Learning Tone Master
Sounds great, i'll give it a shot about making guitar parts smile.gif

--------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:44 PM