Anyone From Austin-tx? Thinking About Moving There...
David Wallimann
Dec 31 2007, 05:01 PM
Instructor
Hi friends!
I'm thinking about moving to Austin, TX.
I heard a lkot of good things about that cxity.
Anyone from there?
Maybe someone can hook me up with a guitart job over there?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robin
Dec 31 2007, 05:18 PM
GMC:er
I know a guy that have been in Austin. He told me that there was this street with tons of places with tons of bands playing, all the time! biggrin.gif I don't know more than that. It sure sounds like fun.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 1 2008, 05:44 PM
Learning Roadie
My brother lives in austin. I've been to visit him before, it's a very cool and fun city! There's a great music scene too, of course.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jan 4 2008, 06:58 AM
You are probably aware of "Austin City Limits" on PBS. I assume that is still on, I killed my TV.

You can't beat a college town. I live in one, University of Kansas. Best people in the world to live around, college town folks. Kind of place where you just strike up a conversation on the street with strangers. Where a guy can have 8 cats. Or a lady can put umbrellas hanging in all her trees as yard art, and it is considered normal. Always a bit of culture shock to me when I go to cities, how people are afraid of each other, and being friendly is considered a bit abnormal. Austin is bigger than Lawrence of course, I think about 3 times as big. But still people tend to love it there. I am sure it gets hot in the summer though.

Concerning the umbrellas, there is a story, the city tried to tell her to take them down because they were a danger. So people all over town hung umbrellas in their trees in protest. That is what a college town is like, we are all nuts, but we get along quite well.

edit: I mean, a college town it the type of place were driving, you look to let others go ahead of you, it is considered bad manners to do otherwise. that is the town folks. not all the students. some of them are destined to fit in well in suburbia. but mostly they only come out at night, and most of even them are well mannered. that is what really shocks me going to a city, the bad manners, people rushing ahead of each other on the road, stuff like that.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jan 4 2008, 07:06 AM

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 4 2008, 07:33 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jan 3 2008, 05:58 PM) *
You are probably aware of "Austin City Limits" on PBS. I assume that is still on, I killed my TV.

You can't beat a college town. I live in one, University of Kansas. Best people in the world to live around, college town folks. Kind of place where you just strike up a conversation on the street with strangers. Where a guy can have 8 cats. Or a lady can put umbrellas hanging in all her trees as yard art, and it is considered normal. Always a bit of culture shock to me when I go to cities, how people are afraid of each other, and being friendly is considered a bit abnormal. Austin is bigger than Lawrence of course, I think about 3 times as big. But still people tend to love it there. I am sure it gets hot in the summer though.

Concerning the umbrellas, there is a story, the city tried to tell her to take them down because they were a danger. So people all over town hung umbrellas in their trees in protest. That is what a college town is like, we are all nuts, but we get along quite well.

edit: I mean, a college town it the type of place were driving, you look to let others go ahead of you, it is considered bad manners to do otherwise. that is the town folks. not all the students. some of them are destined to fit in well in suburbia. but mostly they only come out at night, and most of even them are well mannered. that is what really shocks me going to a city, the bad manners, people rushing ahead of each other on the road, stuff like that.

Yeah, the campus alone is HUGE! Some 60 thousand students, the campus is a small city in itself. I like college towns too smile.gif I live about 5 minutes from Chapel Hill NC, where UNC is and it's a great little town.

Is Austin City Limits on PBS the same thing as the festival?

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
ch00ch00man
Jan 4 2008, 08:07 AM
QUOTE (Wallimann @ Dec 31 2007, 12:01 PM) *
Hi friends!
Anyone from there?

david,

my boss lives in austin. every time he flies out to santa clara, he cant wait to go home. absolutely raves about the place. now, mind you, he is french. born and raised in paris. one would think he would turn his nose at texas. but no, not him, absolutely loves it.

boris

btw, where are you now?

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 4 2008, 01:24 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (ch00ch00man @ Jan 3 2008, 07:07 PM) *
david,

my boss lives in austin. every time he flies out to santa clara, he cant wait to go home. absolutely raves about the place. now, mind you, he is french. born and raised in paris. one would think he would turn his nose at texas. but no, not him, absolutely loves it.

boris

btw, where are you now?

Interesting tongue.gif David, you're french aren't you?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jan 4 2008, 01:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Wallimann @ Dec 31 2007, 05:01 PM) *
Hi friends!
Anyone from there?

Dave, I thought you were moving to Sweden!? sad.gif

biggrin.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 4 2008, 04:21 PM
Instructor
You have an extra ticket? wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 4 2008, 04:34 PM
Instructor
Haha1
I posted this before the Sweden idea. :-)
I guess if the boss from France loves Austin it can only be a good fit for me!
Right now I loive in Chattanooga, TN.
Not much going on here.
Nashville is about 2 hours away, but I don't really care for Country music...

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:38 PM