Maturity Level, people slamming other people here
RobM
Sep 14 2007, 05:39 AM
GMC:er
Didn't know where to post this so I decided to post it here.

I've noticed lately that some people are slamming other people when they ask a question. I've also seen it done with an opening line like: "No offence but". If you already knew what you were going to say was going to offend the other person(which you did by adding the above line) then why say it in the first place?

It's probably not my place to say anything at all but I've noticed this type of thing increasing and I just figured I'd say something about it before it got out of control. If people continue to do it we will end up with two things; people no longer wanting to post for fear of being slammed and other people doing it because nothing was said to the people who are doing it now.

GMC is a great place to hang out, learn a lesson or two or post a question about something you've been wanting to ask but didn't have a place to ask it. Of course there is much more to GMC than that but I think everyone gets what I'm trying to say.

Rant off, lol.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
You wish.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Robin
Sep 14 2007, 05:44 AM
I cant seem to have noticed anything lately, GMC is a really awesome and friendly "place" biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Sep 14 2007, 05:46 AM
Yeah, I too have noticed some posts like this recently. I agree with you dude; this is a really friendly forum and I dont want it to become unfriendly anymore than you do.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 14 2007, 06:09 AM
Instructor
I totally agree with you.
I've noticed that too and feel very uncomfortable about it.
I've also noticed a bit of arrogance sometimes from players that are a little more advanced.
I believe that no mater what your skills are and how well you play, the most important thing to have is true humility.
I'm not talking about "fake" humility, but true and genuine humility that recognizes that whatever achievement you have accomplished whether on the guitar or anything else you have ashieved shouldn't be a call to praise yourself...
On the oposite, it should be an oportunity to give thanks to others for the blessing of having reached a certain level on the instrument.
Humility and willingness to help others reach the point that you have reached is the key.

QUOTE (RobM @ Sep 14 2007, 12:39 AM) *

I've noticed lately that some people are slamming other people when they ask a question. I've also seen it done with an opening line like: "No offence but". If you already knew what you were going to say was going to offend the other person(which you did by adding the above line) then why say it in the first place?

It's probably not my place to say anything at all but I've noticed this type of thing increasing and I just figured I'd say something about it before it got out of control. If people continue to do it we will end up with two things; people no longer wanting to post for fear of being slammed and other people doing it because nothing was said to the people who are doing it now.

GMC is a great place to hang out, learn a lesson or two or post a question about something you've been wanting to ask but didn't have a place to ask it. Of course there is much more to GMC than that but I think everyone gets what I'm trying to say.

Rant off, lol.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
Sep 14 2007, 06:19 AM
yeah i see the UG mentality creeping up on GMC's forums. we should post a sticky of "general forum etiquette" or somewhat!

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Sep 14 2007, 07:13 AM
QUOTE (Robin @ Sep 13 2007, 10:44 PM) *
I cant seem to have noticed anything lately, GMC is a really awesome and friendly "place" biggrin.gif

i havent noticed anyting like that either. huh.gif

QUOTE (Asphyxia Feeling @ Sep 13 2007, 11:19 PM) *
yeah i see the UG mentality creeping up on GMC's forums. we should post a sticky of "general forum etiquette" or somewhat!

good idea.

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
kahall
Sep 14 2007, 09:55 AM
Learning Roadie
I have not noticed anyone getting out of line here myself, but I do not read every thread.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
JOhn
Sep 14 2007, 03:11 PM
QUOTE (RobM @ Sep 14 2007, 02:39 PM) *

Rant off, lol.

no offense but laugh.gif

but seriously i don't see whats so bad about no offense.

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 14 2007, 03:58 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Sep 13 2007, 11:44 PM) *

agree.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 14 2007, 04:10 PM
GMC Founder
Well enough people seem to have noticed this for me to take this seriously - thanks a lot Wallimann for lining out this problem!

Could people who have noticed this send me a pm with an example of what you mean. We will of course not mention any specific users or threads in public - but it would be very helpful to get an example!

Thanks smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 14 2007, 06:59 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I havent noticed it that much, GMC is the nicest place on the net, if even an ounce of the UG forums attitude comes here ill be dissapointed.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Sep 15 2007, 01:34 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Asphyxia Feeling @ Sep 14 2007, 02:19 AM) *

There is already

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=5086

This place is the nicest forum I have ever seen to be honest and I know that Kris, Andrew and others do a very good job of keeping it this way. Now there are bound to be conflicts....that's human nature....but like I said I think Kris and Co. do an excellent job of nipping things in the bud when they go to far. I've been on the UG forum...I lasted one day because of all the jerks there. I've been here since March and plan on staying way longer.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 15 2007, 02:24 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (rokchik @ Sep 14 2007, 08:34 PM) *

Thanks for pointing that out Rok - Everyone go and read it immediately!

Now, a word about my moderation policy ... I try very hard to do nothing at all. Sounds like a cop out I know, but the way I see it, the less I am doing the better GMC is working as a community. If I go around deleting posts all the time and blocking users, GMC will be like a police state. One thing that always pleases me is when someone makes a harsh statement, or is unkind or rude, and regular members step in to take the person to task. That means the community is self policing, and a nice place to hang out because that is the way people want it to be, not because Kris and I are forcing it to be that way.

Make no mistake though, I read every post and when I see rudeness or bad language I will take action, fortunately it is very rare that I have to do anything - GMC is basically a very decent place.

Sometimes members in good faith disagree with each other, its bound to happen. If people disagree with respect that is healthy and should be encouraged. We aren't all a bunch of angels sitting on clouds, we are real people with passionate opinions about music and I wouldn't have it any other way.

As soon as a thread starts getting heated I camp on it - I will make sure I am notified for every post that is made, and if it becomes too heated I will often say something - when I post in bold italics, that is my "listen to me " voice - if people don't get the hint after that I will lock the thread, sometimes temporarily to let people cool down, if it is an interesting subject, or forever if it is a forbidden subject such as threads about file copying or drug use.

If I post to a thread that, is a level 1 warning - just a reminder to be a little more careful. The next stage is a PM - when I PM you about your forum behavior it goes on your record so that we can refer back to it. As moderators we see on everyones posts how many times they have been warned. Eventually, if people need to be warned too many times, for repeat offenses we will consider temporary or permanent forum bans, although I haven't personally needed to ban anyone so far.

If anyone is offended by anything that anyone says on GMC, drop me or Kris a PM. We both care very deeply about keeping this a pleasant place to hang out, we will take whatever action is necessary to keep it that way.

These principles are all enshrined in the posting guidelines - be familiar with them!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Sep 15 2007, 02:30 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 15 2007, 07:00 AM
Some guy just made a comment on a thread "I won't say anything because I might offend somebody". This is great, we certainly don't want any evidence of personality here on this forum. I will be careful in the future to not display any personality at all, as this is clearly offense to some people. I will just say happy things to everybody, whether I believe it or not. When somebody posts some awful upload, where my cat could have done just as well were I to let him swipe at the strings with his paw, I will say "Good Effort! smile.gif ". And from now on I will show 3 happy faces every post.

I owe you two more....

smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 15 2007, 07:05 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Well, dont hide your personality, and if oyu have an oppinion dont be afraid to voice, i think what andrew and every one else are trying to say (or atleast part of it) is that if your going to voice your oppinion, think about what you say and how it will effect the person you say it too, Speak your mind, but also be repsectful to other peoples feelings and there oppinions as well.

+Quote Post
Owen
Sep 15 2007, 07:08 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 15 2007, 07:00 AM) *
Some guy just made a comment on a thread "I won't say anything because I might offend somebody". This is great, we certainly don't want any evidence of personality here on this forum. I will be careful in the future to not display any personality at all, as this is clearly offense to some people. I will just say happy things to everybody, whether I believe it or not. When somebody posts some awful upload, where my cat could have done just as well were I to let him swipe at the strings with his paw, I will say "Good Effort! smile.gif ". And from now on I will show 3 happy faces every post.

I owe you two more....

smile.gif smile.gif

You. Are. Brilliant laugh.gif

Damn, I think my sarcasm meter just broke, your off the scale. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Owen: Sep 15 2007, 07:09 AM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Sep 15 2007, 07:17 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 14 2007, 10:00 PM) *

I owe you two more....

smile.gif smile.gif

Speaking on Maturity....

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Sep 15 2007, 07:41 AM
It's called constructive criticism. Take a look at some of the instructors' posts critiquing uploads. Proof that it's possible to do it with "personality".

Wow.

+Quote Post
KRmachine
Sep 15 2007, 07:43 AM
There is a difference between expressing your opinion on something and just plain out flaming.
Let's say some guy uploads a solo he's made, and you think everything is terrible. His timing is way off, he has all the feeling of a badly programmed MIDI, you can't tell if he bothered or knows how to tune his guitar at all, he probably hasn't heard of the words "scale" or "key", and so on. What do you post?

1. "Haha are you serious? that was terrible, my grandma plays better than that, and she's deaf."

This is obviously not what you should post, you don't give him any advice on how to improve and you're just plain mean.

2. "Good job man, I really enjoyed that!"

No you didn't, and now you're lying to him too. If you think he can improve on something say so, if you post something like this to avoid hurting his feelings you're hurting him in the long run by not making him aware that he needs improvement.

3. "I'm sorry, but that wasn't very good. You should probably start by tuning your guitar [explanation of how to do it or link to a page that describes it], and also start practicing with a metronome. When you've done that learn some theory to find out which scales fit where."

Of course, the post above is only parahprased, it should be much longer and have constructive criticism on where you think improvement is needed, without being mean or bashing the guy.

We don't need people being mean for no reason, but we definitely don't need people not posting their honest opinion out of fear of getting flak from the mods or other users.

Maybe I'm just tired and rambling here, but that's how I feel about this. If I did something horribly horribly wrong I'd definitely want to hear about it as soon as possible so I can work on it.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 15 2007, 07:46 AM
Moderation Policy Director
+1

The 3rd way is the best, and what we should all aim for when critiquing peoples efforts.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:33 AM