Hand Pain
AdamB
Apr 27 2009, 01:03 PM
GMC:er
Hey,

I've been pushing myself to practice a lot recently, and have been experiencing some pain on the wrists on both hands in the last week or so.

I've decided to take a week off from today as I keep leaving it for 2 days and then when I play it comes back.

Whats the longest you guys have had to take a break from guitar to get your hands to heal up?

-Adam

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Muris Varajic
Apr 27 2009, 01:08 PM
Instructor
I can't think of having a break to "heal" my hands
but I've done breaks like week or two, mostly during vacations etc.

Not sure what kind of pain you're dealing with tho I hope it's nothing major. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Apr 27 2009, 01:26 PM
Instructor
It shouldn't be painful to play guitar, that means somethings wrong, unless we're just talking about sore finger tips? Maybe you're tense while practicing?

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
AdamB
Apr 27 2009, 02:17 PM
Well, it's not sore fingers/skin, as I've been playing for many years and have very strong calluses now. It's just pain from the muscles in the forearm/wrist, I cna't really place it precisly but it's in the back of the hand/wrist/forearm. Sorry to be so vague but it's hard to sense exactly where it is coming from.

It feels like when you pull a muscle, like a dull ache. The only time it really hurts as a sharp pain is when I try to do a stretch between 2nd and 3rd fingers, which I have been practicing as they don't stretch at all :/

It's not painful such that I can't play, I can play as much as I like it's just I'm worried that the pain will cause damage if I keep doing it.

My hands feel quite relaxed when I play, except for when I go outside of my speed barrier, which I don't really do at the moment as I'm trying to practice slowly to a metronome as much as possible.

+Quote Post
arctic1234
Apr 27 2009, 02:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
I've once been told by my guitar teacher (in Norway) about something like this... I have no clue about what the word is in English though, but in Norwegian it's called "senebetennelse" (maybe anyone else from Norway can help translate it wink.gif ).

Anyway... It's like it is starting to ache in your fingers (in this case). The advise I got was that I should lay down my guitar for a couple or days, or I could get some kind if infection in my fingers...

Don't know, but it could sound something like it...

--------------------

"Fake it ´til you make it"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 27 2009, 02:53 PM
Instructor
Both Muris & Marcus have a point here, just gotta rest the hands a bit, and try not to tense up while you play. Make some regular mini breaks during playing if you experience pain, NEVER play fatigued, it will lead you nowhere.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
AdamB
Apr 27 2009, 03:00 PM
Awesome. Well I decided not play again until next weekend (which is a holiday here in the UK so I can then start practicing seriously again then).

Think until then I'll do some pitch recognition exercises/learn some scale theory or something.

Does anyone know any good pitch learning tools? Something like a computer program or something that plays a note and you have to guess the pitch correctly?

-Adam

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:29 AM