Very Annoying
JTaylor
Feb 7 2012, 10:47 AM
Apprentice Roadie
Just got my Jackson last Friday and am loving but I actually find it a bit more difficult to play than my old Ibanez. I guess I am just used to the Ibanez, even though it is a cheap guitar (and yes, I do like Ibanez but I do have one of the cheapest models they make).
I have an issue with the Jackson though. I am practicing Ben's "Picking Basics" lesson. It starts on the G, 9th fret. After picking that note 8 times and moving to the 7th fret (still on the G), the note from the 9th is still ringing! Makes for a real screwed up sound. It's doing this on a few strings and it all seems to be around that area of the neck. I'm thinking the neck may be bent even though I cannot see it by just looking down it.
It's annoying, but I'm not mad..... even though it is new, I know these things sometimes happen. I can only say I am glad I bought it local so I can take it back and let them fix it instead of shipping it back to wherever.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Feb 7 2012, 12:12 PM
Apprentice Roadie
Okay, my Ibanez is doing the same thing . Glad to know there's nothing wrong with the Jackson but now I am totally befuddled. Help! sad.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Feb 7 2012, 02:14 PM
Instructor
The factory setting for a new guitars is sometime creepy and should be adjusted. Visit some of the reparation masters and ask about the problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 7 2012, 02:53 PM
Learning Roadie
I remember buying my Jackson. I was coming from an Ibanez too, and it did indeed feel different and weird. But I got used to it. The problem you are having could be identified by a guitar tech, but the first thing I thought of was fret buzz?

+Quote Post
Saddlefall
Feb 7 2012, 03:07 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Could try changing strings, maybe the factory strings aren't that great? Does this happen on both pickups, or one or the other?

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Explorer
Jackson Warrior WRXT
Jackson RR24
Schecter Demon 7 string

Amp:
Marshall JMD:1

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 7 2012, 03:10 PM
Instructor
This is normal man. You always feel comfortable at first with your older guitar when you get a new one. Regarding the problem, that always happens, when you play the 9th fret of the 3 string, you play an E, so the 6th string also vibrates if you don't mute it at the same frequency and if you don't mute the note will continue ringing.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Feb 7 2012, 04:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Feb 7 2012, 09:47 AM) *
Just got my Jackson last Friday and am loving but I actually find it a bit more difficult to play than my old Ibanez. I guess I am just used to the Ibanez, even though it is a cheap guitar (and yes, I do like Ibanez but I do have one of the cheapest models they make).
I have an issue with the Jackson though. I am practicing Ben's "Picking Basics" lesson. It starts on the G, 9th fret. After picking that note 8 times and moving to the 7th fret (still on the G), the note from the 9th is still ringing! Makes for a real screwed up sound. It's doing this on a few strings and it all seems to be around that area of the neck. I'm thinking the neck may be bent even though I cannot see it by just looking down it.
It's annoying, but I'm not mad..... even though it is new, I know these things sometimes happen. I can only say I am glad I bought it local so I can take it back and let them fix it instead of shipping it back to wherever.

You need to get your guitar set up! In't probably a metal anchor inside your neck just take it to your local music store and they should be able to fix it!

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Feb 7 2012, 11:33 PM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 7 2012, 02:10 PM) *
This is normal man. You always feel comfortable at first with your older guitar when you get a new one. Regarding the problem, that always happens, when you play the 9th fret of the 3 string, you play an E, so the 6th string also vibrates if you don't mute it at the same frequency and if you don't mute the note will continue ringing.

Thank you to everyone for the insight! Gabriel, that's exactly what it was! Thank you! smile.gif The tech checked it out, played it and the problem was not there. They do want me to play it another couple of weeks before they set it up. Not sure why, but I'm okay with it.I have no idea what they even do during a setup laugh.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 8 2012, 05:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Feb 7 2012, 07:33 PM) *
Thank you to everyone for the insight! Gabriel, that's exactly what it was! Thank you! smile.gif The tech checked it out, played it and the problem was not there. They do want me to play it another couple of weeks before they set it up. Not sure why, but I'm okay with it.I have no idea what they even do during a setup laugh.gif .

ahh ok! I'm glad to know that this was the problem mate! That's normal and it can be fixed muting the strings that you are not playing with the palm of your right hand and with the left hand fingers that you are not using... smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Feb 8 2012, 06:29 PM
GMC:er
Is the guitar action really low and have loads of sustain?

I got this after my first time restringing my ESP M-II which has a floyd rose. I took it to the guitar store and told them there's something wrong with it. The E and A string would vibrate a lot when playing around the 9th fret - I thought it was loose or something wrong at the bridge but couldn't correct it.

He said it's fret choke, I had no idea what that was till now.

Try this, take any string that's having an issue and hold down the 1st and 12th fret at the same time. There should be a very slight gap from the string to the fret inbetween say at the 5-6th fret. If there's no gap, then you could be getting fret choke! What happens is that string doesn't have enough space to ring out. Palm muting won't help this, when playing each fret note up the string at a point normally around the middle it will choke. He just did a very slight adjustment to the neck height or angle, it was like a few millimeters but fixed it right up.

Took him like 5 seconds to resetup, I wish I saw what he did more clearly. He also did it for free, just a 10 minute jam lol.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Feb 8 2012, 06:33 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:35 PM