Do U Actually Need A Pedal?
slash85
Apr 20 2007, 02:30 AM
GMC:er
gday mates,

hey im just wondering about distortion pedals.......... i have a vox adv30 valvetronix amp it has all the different effects 11 to be exact and has 11 different guitar amp models on it too eg, highgain, modern uk, uk 80's, uk 70,s boutique clean and heaps more....but my question is do u actually need to buy a distortion pedal if yur amp has good gain and overdrive?....is there a difference between overdrive and distortion?....would there be any differences if i bought a distortion pedal?

Cheers mates

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
DEFENDER OF THE FAITH \m/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spdalton
Apr 20 2007, 06:58 AM
Hi there,
I have a Vox AD50VT and I havn't bothered with a distortion pedal. It gives great distortion anyway as you would know.
Instead I just have the foot switch for the amp itself, which is very useful.
Having said that, I havn't tried it with a distortion pedal but that is simply because I havn't felt it's needed one.

Some of the effects it has could warrant a stand alone pedal however, like a proper wah rather than the auto wah but they are minor issues.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

http://www.myspace.com/cashnz

+Quote Post
slash85
Apr 20 2007, 08:27 AM
QUOTE (spdalton @ Apr 20 2007, 03:58 PM) *
Hi there,
I have a Vox AD50VT and I havn't bothered with a distortion pedal. It gives great distortion anyway as you would know.
Instead I just have the foot switch for the amp itself, which is very useful.
Having said that, I havn't tried it with a distortion pedal but that is simply because I havn't felt it's needed one.

Some of the effects it has could warrant a stand alone pedal however, like a proper wah rather than the auto wah but they are minor issues.

yeah mate the sound is pretty good as it is,,,,your right with the effects though...i have a wah and delay pedal instead ..cheers mate wink.gif

--------------------
DEFENDER OF THE FAITH \m/

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Apr 20 2007, 08:44 AM
Personally, I hate distortion pedals. I almost always run my guitar directly into the amp, but sometimes I use a wah wah. My amp sounds much better than any distortion pedal IMO.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 20 2007, 12:07 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
The answer is YES, and NO. All depending on wether you're happy with the distiortion you've already got.

I've got two amps, for one I don't use a distortion pedal - it's got all the sounds I want and a bit more. It's a monster. (Hughes & Kettner Switchblade)

For the other amp (Peavey Classic 30) I'm using a Gollmer Fat dist and I'm planning on getting a second pedal - Electro Harmonix Metal Muff - so I'd be having two in the effects chain at the same time.

I'me debating on getting a amp head instead (since I run the Peavey Combo through a Marshall 4x12 anyway) and the most important issue for me then will be to get one with a great clean channel. It can have only one clean for what I care, I will alway run it clean anyway and control all sounds with pedals. For the variety of music in that coverband I may need the Gollmer for "clean" and controlled distortion and the Electro Harmonix for different metal tones. I might even concider to get a third one, the Line6 Ubermetal, for the real hardcore sounds.

An overdrive is there to add some dirt to the signal, increasing it to push the tubes a bit. It will of course increase the signal strength into a solid state amp aswell so you will hear a difference but mate... it's not the same thing.
There are overdrive pedals with gain, I have one and it's useful. From the overdrive you add punch and dirt and I use it a lot on a clean sound for bluse and rock.
I dont find it useful at all on the dist channel like Zakk Wylde does.

+Quote Post
Robin
Apr 20 2007, 03:28 PM
If you have a amp with good effects I dont think you need a pedal, but if you're playing live and stuff like that, it would be good with a pedal. Never know what gear there is where you're playing.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:41 AM