Bending Notes
bballkid2076
Oct 23 2007, 11:23 AM
GMC:er
Ive noticed that within a scale certain notes sound better for bending. For example in A minor pentatonic (5-8) the 7th fret on g string sounds excelletn while 5 g does not. Is this just my preference or is there theory behind this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Oct 23 2007, 05:49 PM
Instructor
It depends from notes that you reach while you're bending.
At 7th fret on G string you can reach D# (a blue note that sounds good and bluesy) or E, if you do a full bend. E note is on A minor pentatonic.
If you bend 5th fret on G string (1/2 bend) you reach C# that is major 3rd of A. So it can be dissonant with the minor feel of your scale.
Anyway, sometimes it's good to use this type of bending, with moderation!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 23 2007, 08:25 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Oct 23 2007, 12:49 PM) *
It depends from notes that you reach while you're bending.
At 7th fret on G string you can reach D# (a blue note that sounds good and bluesy) or E, if you do a full bend. E note is on A minor pentatonic.
If you bend 5th fret on G string (1/2 bend) you reach C# that is major 3rd of A. So it can be dissonant with the minor feel of your scale.
Anyway, sometimes it's good to use this type of bending, with moderation!

Yes, you can bend any note in the scale, but you have to bend it either a half step or full step appropriately so that the note you bend up to is still in the scale, or it will sound bad!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 23 2007, 09:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 23 2007, 09:25 PM) *
Yes, you can bend any note in the scale, but you have to bend it either a half step or full step appropriately so that the note you bend up to is still in the scale, or it will sound bad!

Yep,half or whole tone.
Per example 5th fret on G string in Am pent should be bended whole tone,to reach note D.
While as Jerry said you can bend 7th fret both half and whole note,
one gives "blue"note and another another gives note E,which IS in Am pent scale.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Jeff
Oct 23 2007, 09:46 PM
GMC:er
Jeff Beck has an interesting style with respect to bending notes. Often times he will bend a note just very slightly below the next step or half step note in scale and leave it there to hang in suspension for a second and then crank it up another half/whole step. It's hard to explain, but it's really a cool effect. Listen to some of his music and you will see what I mean. He ends some of his passages on odd sounding notes but it fits perfectly in the song.

In fact, if you ever have seen Eric Johnson's guitar instructional video, Total Electric Guitar, he explains Jeff Beck's technique very well.

Sorry if I'm a little off topic here. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 23 2007, 10:06 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (jeff @ Oct 23 2007, 02:46 PM) *
Jeff Beck has an interesting style with respect to bending notes. Often times he will bend a note just very slightly below the next step or half step note in scale and leave it there to hang in suspension for a second and then crank it up another half/whole step. It's hard to explain, but it's really a cool effect. Listen to some of his music and you will see what I mean. He ends some of his passages on odd sounding notes but it fits perfectly in the song.

In fact, if you ever have seen Eric Johnson's guitar instructional video, Total Electric Guitar, he explains Jeff Beck's technique very well.

Sorry if I'm a little off topic here. smile.gif

+1.

Those sorts of microtonal (think that's the word for it) bends are used a lot by JB and some other players (Albert Kingis another example, Frank Zappa another). If you listen to JB play 'People get ready' the music progresses and is given dynamics because of the way he uses microtonal bends as the actual melody stays pretty constant and repeats.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:02 AM