Sticking Point
Phil66
Sep 4 2015, 07:27 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello everyone,

Have any of you ever had a piece to learn that you just can't get up to speed no matter what? I've been on THIS lesson for weeks and weeks, specifically bars 29-30. I just can't get over 70% speed and even that's not consistent. The problem I now have is that I am getting so frustrated that the rest of the piece is suffering and I am actually getting worse. If you heard it you would think I'd only been on it for a week not months.

At one point I got so frustrated that I thought about stopping playing guitar all together. I'm over that now but I'd like to know how anyone else has got through anything like this? I've sacrificed a lot of time on other aspects trying to get this right, many nights have been spent just doing this and no ear training or rhythm training or anything else.

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Monica Gheorghev...
Sep 4 2015, 09:12 AM
Learning Tone Master
I saw this topic after I answer at your PM. So you have my honest opinion and my stories there wink.gif

Just keep in mind that this thing it happen to all of us. How I already told you, behind every take of mine are lots of tears and hours full of licks that I fail. But this is part of learning process.
Believe me, if me and Darek we get a penny for every time when I said to him:" I'm too stupid, I can not play this" definitely we would be very rich biggrin.gif Of course he must also receive a medal because when something hard appear, it freaks me out biggrin.gif That is the moment when he explain me many things and he put me again on the good way. It's not easy to be the instructor to a person which is very ambitious and always think that is the end of the world when can not manage a lick to sound very good or the things not end how I expect (like grade in REC which are subjective).

I understand you and I know how is to spend a lot of time playing. Actually I sacrificed everything around me. I forgot how is to spend some time with friends, I don't have time to go out, I don't want to eat or to sleep because I think I loose time from my practice. So, I can understand what it means to focus only for playing.
Take a deep breath because you are not alone in this wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Sep 4 2015, 09:26 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 4 2015, 11:39 AM
Thanks Monica and thanks for the pm chat. It's just so infuriating when you can play the piece albeit a little bit scruffy but two bars are beating you. I can play (scruffily) the piece before and after those bars. Recently I spent two weeks, two hours or more per night only playing those bars. I feel that my wife is a guitar widow, she doesn't complain but I feel bad leaving her downstairs alone for most of the evening.
The thing is I hate quitting, I've only ever quit once before for the reason of not being able to achieve and that was the Rubiks Cube smile.gif any other time I have quit was only for loading interest.
Thanks again, we move forward smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 4 2015, 01:05 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
dude, I have a couple of lessons I have been working on for over a year and Im still a little shy of full speed. Its a pisser for sure. If its a speed thing then imo its just a simple case of hand sync but that takes as long as it takes. You obviously know how to play this lesson, you've basically 'learned' it so it might be helpful to play the lesson less but do similar lessons / exercises and then come back to it. Picking skills are transferable.
thats what I do ( for whatever that is worth! ). One of mine is Bens Hand sync lesson, I swear Ive played that more times than Mr Higgins ( possibly more than anyone has played any lesson!! ) Theres no real point for me to continue to play it for an hour per day, Its just too depressing so I do other picking stuff and hit that hand sync lesson 2 or 3 times per week ( sometimes less ) I find this helps in my case as Im getting closer.
again, thats just my thoughts on it, Im hardly an example of awesome playing smile.gif but in my experience weeks on a lesson is nothing!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 4 2015, 11:39 AM) *
I feel that my wife is a guitar widow, she doesn't complain but I feel bad leaving her downstairs alone for most of the evening.

BTW, I totally relate to this! Im in the exact same position cool.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 4 2015, 02:59 PM
Thanks Scott, my issue is that I've only been working on this lesson and neglecting everything else sad.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2015, 03:17 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, I've first found this message at my personal boar so here is my answer.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 4 2015, 04:13 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 4 2015, 03:17 PM) *
Hi Phil, I've first found this message at my personal boar so here is my answer.

Thanks Gab,

I have answered and will do as you said smile.gif I posted here just to get extra support on top of your already brilliant guidance and encouragement. I woke up with the blues and posted it.

Thanks for everything mate cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 4 2015, 04:42 PM
GMC:er
It doesn't matter how good a player is or how novice a player is. Some folks get some things faster than others.

I would highly recommend working on other things along with this lesson. Anything you work on, even if it 'seems' un-related, will help everything else you do.
In fact, if it was me, I'd get away from this lesson completely for awhile. Maybe a long while - ?
You're just beating it to death and psyching yourself out into never getting it.

Take a break on this one. Do something else and come back to it. You'll get it when you get it.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 4 2015, 04:43 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 4 2015, 05:38 PM
Thanks Ken,

Gab wants me to record myself playing it so he can advise another lesson and/or exercises to help. We will be putting this on the back burner for a while I think.

Thanks everyone, you have all helped my mind set with your individual comments.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:44 PM