Lp Studio, What pickup?
Gilmore
Jun 10 2008, 10:39 PM
GMC:er
Hi

I´ve been looking at some Studio LP models at Ebay, and I notice most of them have Burstbucker pickups. I thought the Studio always had 496T and 498R Pups. I don´t belive everyone has changed the stocks out, at least it´s not mentioned. I don´t belive they are all wrong about the pups beiing BB. The only Studios I´ve heard of has 496 498 pups. What do you think? I don´t want the Studio to have BB, because I want it to sound more modern than my LP Classic wich has BB Pros installed, for vintage tone.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 10 2008, 10:47 PM
QUOTE (Gilmore @ Jun 10 2008, 04:39 PM) *
Hi

I´ve been looking at some Studio LP models at Ebay, and I notice most of them have Burstbucker pickups. I thought the Studio always had 496T and 498R Pups. I don´t belive everyone has changed the stocks out, at least it´s not mentioned. I don´t belive they are all wrong about the pups beiing BB. The only Studios I´ve heard of has 496 498 pups. What do you think? I don´t want the Studio to have BB, because I want it to sound more modern than my LP Classic wich has BB Pros installed, for vintage tone.

well, it is a 490R and 498T I believe. Anyway I am sure you have the numbers wrong, but you have the idea.

The Studio does come with burstbuckers, at least not unless they have just changed things, and I doubt that. Except I believe the Mahogany studio, which I have. That was a Guitar Center item. But the Studios you are thinking of don't come with burstbuckers. I am playing one right now, with those pickups. Good pair, good combo. What you are seeing on ebay may be a Mahogany, or possibly some other off shoot, faded or something. But not the basic studio you are thinking of.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 10 2008, 10:53 PM

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Jun 10 2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah I got the numers wrong it´s 490T and 498T.

All these I´m looking at are probably some different model. They are all Worn or Vintage Cherry and with BB Pros. Some are new, but I can´t find any Studios with BB´s on Gibson webpage.

Ok I think I got it now. It´s all Mahogany guitar, the top is also Mahogany. And they all have the BB Pro.

There is so many of the there.........here is on beauty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio...1QQcmdZViewItem

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 10 2008, 11:15 PM
QUOTE (Gilmore @ Jun 10 2008, 05:03 PM) *
Yeah I got the numers wrong it´s 490T and 498T.

All these I´m looking at are probably some different model. They are all Worn or Vintage Cherry and with BB Pros. Some are new, but I can´t find any Studios with BB´s on Gibson webpage.

Ok I think I got it now. It´s all Mahogany guitar, the top is also Mahogany. And they all have the BB Pro.

There is so many of the there.........here is on beauty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio...1QQcmdZViewItem

Ok, I have that guitar. As well as a Maple Studio and a Standard.

I really like it, but it does sound unique. I would describe it as more "woody". Still good sustain. And good harmonics. I am sure you would like it, especially if you can get one cheap in good condition. I would not pay more than $600 used, in excellent condition. Because you can get them that way. Guitar Center was selling them for $800, now maybe it is $900. But again, it is a real neat sounding guitar, I would not want to part with mine. But it does sound a bit different from your maple LP. Which you may like.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Pau...357-i1149476.gc

They are selling them for $900 now. Maybe I would pay more, $650 at most though. I got mine for $600 new, but that was a goofy weird deal that lasted a couple days when they first came out, never seen them less than $800 new since.

Very nice case, and it looks like he has it in good condition. I would make sure he guarantees that the neck is not twisted though. On any used guitar, I feel that they should guarantee a good neck.

And also that they have not carved out all the wood under the pick guard. Joke, Marcus L got one like that.

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Jun 11 2008, 12:05 PM
I want it to sound different from my SG 61 and Classic BB. Mabye it´s to much to have those 3 Gibsons, but I like this Studio for the looks alone, it´s so damn pretty, not flashy but damn pretty. smile.gif

I have all the guitars I need, but we always want more right??

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jun 12 2008, 01:11 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
As far as I know there are no LP Studios with Burstbucker pickups, they are all equiped with the 490 / 498 combination.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 12 2008, 01:30 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Jun 12 2008, 02:11 PM) *
As far as I know there are no LP Studios with Burstbucker pickups, they are all equiped with the 490 / 498 combination.

The Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite comes with 496R and 500T smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Jun 12 2008, 03:17 PM
Like fkalich said, it´ s LP Vintage Mahogany that has the BB´s, but the regular Studio has the 490T and 498R. The Vintage Mahogany is ALL mahogany guitar, mahogany back with mahogany top, the finish is also faded and they go for alot less then the regular Studio. I like the look´s of the faded brown finish, and I might grab one off ebay one day, but there´s alot of them for sale there. But I would prefer not to have the BB´s in it because my Classic has them already.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 13 2008, 07:33 AM
Learning Roadie
I have the same guitar as fkalich. I agree, it is an amazing guitar. Woody is a good way to describe the sound, but thats exactly the sound I'm looking for. Clean tone on the bridge of this thing is ridiculously fat and warm, it sounds so great. If that's not what you're looking for though, perhaps you could change out the pickups?

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jun 16 2008, 04:46 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jun 12 2008, 02:30 PM) *
The Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite comes with 496R and 500T smile.gif

Really? I didn't know this smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:08 AM