Sound
Blind Sight
Oct 14 2007, 01:57 AM
GMC:er
Hey everyone i didnt quite know where to post this but i thought an any topic forum would be the best place. i just bought a new guitar because i want to start playing i bought an amp as well.

i recently watched the lesson on power chords and noticed Kristofer's guitar sounded alot different and alot better then mine im guessin its somethin to do with the amp????

baring in mind im a complete novice how do i get my guitar to sound as good??

thanks all

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 14 2007, 02:00 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Hi There! The gear section also would have been a good choice smile.gif

What you are most likely missing is some kind of distortion or overdrive. You can get it with a pedal, or also probably from your amp by increasing the Gain control.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Understudy
Oct 14 2007, 02:26 AM
Hey Blindsight !
Sound is really different for everyone as guitars and amps all sound different. If you can give us the settings on your amp maybe we can help you figure out a good sound for you. As a total beginer I would not worry about sound just yet, be more concerned with learning techniques that you find interesting along with chords and scales. Try to play around with the clean and overdrive channels , bass/mid/treble and whatever else you have on it until you find a sound you like. The power chords you are learning will be a good tool in deciding on a sound setting. Good luck.

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post
Blind Sight
Oct 14 2007, 07:56 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 14 2007, 02:00 AM) *
Hi There! The gear section also would have been a good choice smile.gif

What you are most likely missing is some kind of distortion or overdrive. You can get it with a pedal, or also probably from your amp by increasing the Gain control.

The amp ive got is a marshall mg series 10cd?? the clean, overdrive, gain and contour are all the way up ive played about with it but cant get anything like the sound of kristofers???

and also on a totally different subject is it common to find that your fingers wont stretch as far as they need to in the beginning because im having trouble hitting the right notes?

sorry for being a pain just tryin to work out the kinks ya know

thanks

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Oct 14 2007, 08:57 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Your fingers will feel like there made of unbendable steel in the beginning, the more you play, the easier your muscles will adapt to the stretches.

+Quote Post
Owen
Oct 14 2007, 09:48 PM
QUOTE (Blind Sight @ Oct 14 2007, 07:56 AM) *
The amp ive got is a marshall mg series 10cd?? the clean, overdrive, gain and contour are all the way up ive played about with it but cant get anything like the sound of kristofers???

and also on a totally different subject is it common to find that your fingers wont stretch as far as they need to in the beginning because im having trouble hitting the right notes?

sorry for being a pain just tryin to work out the kinks ya know

thanks

Such are the limitations of small practice amps, if one small practice amp made all the different sounds of many players possible then every other amp company would be out of buisness.

To achieve exactly the tone that Kris has you'd have to buy the same rig or at least something similar to it - something that could emulate it perhaps, it and that would cost a good bit of money at least.

You shouldnt really need Kris' exact tone anyway, every guitar player finds their own tone, so just play around with what you've got until you find something your happy playing with and then later when you've decided you want to progress you can have a look at new amps or something smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 14 2007, 11:31 PM
Lets go fishing!
Thats some good advice owen! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ayen
Oct 16 2007, 04:07 AM

I remember when I first started, I played the beginning to Crazy Train, and my fingers couldn't stretch from frets 2 to 5. I assure you, later on you'll be able to clear 5 frets easily.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Oct 16 2007, 09:22 PM
Can't remember who but some famous and fabulous guitarist was recording at the same studio as EVH and was hanging out with him.
Eddie's rig was all set up and he was offered would he like to play a few licks through it - he was rapt and played but said he was so disappointed to hear that he didn't sound a thing like EVH.
He said in that moment he realised that your sound is actually in your fingers and your technique far more than it is in your gear cool.gif (or lack thereof)

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:28 PM