3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Crazy Gear Prices Have Become The New Normal
Todd Simpson
Dec 30 2021, 05:38 AM
GMC:er
Crazy prices for gear have become normalized. Some gear is worse than the rest. Let’s take a look at what the heck is going on. There are a myriad of causes for all of the price hikes. The causes start with the pandemic and then flow in to supply chain disruptions and then factors like people staying at home and getting in to playing and recording at home as they are spending a lot more time at home due to the aforementioned pandemic.

1.)PEAVEY 5150
These amps were never cheap but after the death of EVH they went nuts and have stayed nuts. The prices in 2020 were about $750 and then they started to go up to double, then they went up to almost triple in some cases and they have come down just a pinch.

2.)IBANEZ TS10 TUBE SCREAMER
These started out new at $150 or so and of course they out of print and have been for quite a while. A year ago, $250 was a good price for one. These days, it’s up to $500 for one of these in decent shape. Wow. I’m a huge fan of the tube screamer series. They sound great as a clean boost in front of just about any amp you want to use. The best thing used to be that they were also somewhat cheap to grab and there were tons of them around. Not so anymore. So many folks are getting in to playing music, building home studios and guitar rigs, as they spend more time at home, that these are getting snapped up and supply meets demand somewhere near the high end of crazy and you see prices that make no sense. Cool as these are, it’s not a boutique pedal. You can get the same thing from JOYO and never know the difference imho. I’ve had both and i couldn’t tell.

3.)MESA BOOGIE JP2C
This is the John Petrucci Mesa with the two sets of EQ sliders. Make no mistake, this is a killer amp. It’s harkens back to the legendary MARK IIC+ as a spiritual touchstone. Said amp is legendary in it’s own right and JP himself seems to have a massive collection of these original mesa amps. The strange thing is that you can buy a new one for $2,800, and yet the prices for used ones on reverb.com are sometimes pushing $5,000. That’s almost enough to buy two new ones. Again, supply meeting demand at the lofty end of crazy and making very little sense.

4.)TOM DELONGE FENDER STRAT

$1,200 was a good price for one of these about a year ago. These days it will cost you about double. Yup, double the price in about a year. If you have one, it’s a seller market. There is one listing for $9,999. I thought it was a typo but no, it’s a real asking price. I saw one at $1,600 but it was an “as is” listing with return option.

5.)PEAVEY DECADE
This is a tiny little forgotten peavey combo practice amp. The guitar player from Queens of the stone Age uses one of these in the studio. All of the sudden it’s a pricey bit of kit at $400 up from a $200 price about a year ago. Again we see a doubling of price in about a year. Not typical appreciation.

6.)SILVER BURST LES PAUL
A few years ago these were $3,000. Then the Adam Jones signature model came out and you guessed it, the price has doubled. It’s a nice 70s les paul, but $6,000?

7.)KLON KTR
The KLON KTR is a nice boutique overdrive. These go for $900 on reverb. This is a but nuts since these are still being made. They retail for under $300 and yet, demand is so strong that folks are paying triple that price for a used one. Some say the newly built ones are not quite as good and so one has to seek out an older unit. Such is life in crazy land.

To be sure, prices have exploded the past couple of years. The supply chain is still disrupted, the pandemic is still forcing folks to spend more time at home and thus increase the demand for things to do at home like building a home studio and lots of cool gear. I’m encouraged by the fact that so many people seem to be getting in to guitar. I think it’s an amazing renaissance for the instrument and guitar culture in general. If we get nothing else positive from the pandemic, at least we have that smile.gif

This video was very helpful in making this article.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 30 2021, 06:05 AM
The current KTRs are now made with 'different' diodes. The one's going for around $900 on Reverb are the original edition KTRs. One of which I have.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 31 2021, 01:06 AM
Id like your honest thoughts on whether the diodes are worth triple? I have never tried either pedal so I have zero experience with it.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Dec 30 2021, 01:05 AM) *
The current KTRs are now made with 'different' diodes. The one's going for around $900 on Reverb are the original edition KTRs. One of which I have.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Dec 31 2021, 04:53 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
There has been some pretty crazy price hikes on all kinds of products over the past couple of years since Covid came into our lives. The bottom line however is that those products, for whatever reason the prices are jacked up, are only worth as much as what people are willing to pay for them and it's not going to be worth it for everyone.
It is strange though to see prices for used items being higher than prices for the same item that is new. Unless of course you just can't get a new one.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Dec 31 2021, 05:00 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 31 2021, 06:52 AM
Well said smile.gif The used cost more than new thing goes for a huge range of products music related and otherwise.
The supply chain disruptions are not really helping and as the economy heats back as people head back to work inflation is starting to bite. Gear prices seem to be staying roughly at the "new normal" which is to say quite a bit higher.

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Dec 30 2021, 11:53 PM) *
There has been some pretty crazy price hikes on all kinds of products over the past couple of years since Covid came into our lives. The bottom line however is that those products, for whatever reason the prices are jacked up, are only worth as much as what people are willing to pay for them and it's not going to be worth it for everyone.
It is strange though to see prices for used items being higher than prices for the same item that is new. Unless of course you just can't get a new one.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 31 2021, 04:02 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 30 2021, 05:06 PM) *
Id like your honest thoughts on whether the diodes are worth triple? I have never tried either pedal so I have zero experience with it.

I doubt it.
The whole "Klon" thing is just so shrouded in mystery that once a new version comes out, the older models skyrocket. I thought that the arrival of the 'KTR' version 10 years ago would normalize the used market for the gold (horseyman) and silver ones. I was wrong - they got more expensive. This next iteration of the KTR, if people believe it sounds slightly different (regardless of better or worse) will bump up the previous model's desirability (and prices) further. As Rich says, "worth" is all about what folks are willing to pay.
I have no problem selling mine but a little voice in the back of my head tells me I shoulda put it on the block 3 months ago. We'll see.

*Bill Finnegan still has a (diminishing) stock of all the NOS, first edition parts to build the original gold Klon 'Centaur' pedal.
He does it for friends and will also occasionally build and send one free of charge to someone who he feels is in need of money, as they are averaging between 5 and 8 grand currently.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 2 2022, 06:50 AM

Thanks for the info. Wow 5 to 8 k? That is nuts. Last i checked it was 2k. Egad.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Dec 31 2021, 11:02 AM) *
I doubt it.
The whole "Klon" thing is just so shrouded in mystery that once a new version comes out, the older models skyrocket. I thought that the arrival of the 'KTR' version 10 years ago would normalize the used market for the gold (horseyman) and silver ones. I was wrong - they got more expensive. This next iteration of the KTR, if people believe it sounds slightly different (regardless of better or worse) will bump up the previous model's desirability (and prices) further. As Rich says, "worth" is all about what folks are willing to pay.
I have no problem selling mine but a little voice in the back of my head tells me I shoulda put it on the block 3 months ago. We'll see.

*Bill Finnegan still has a (diminishing) stock of all the NOS, first edition parts to build the original gold Klon 'Centaur' pedal.
He does it for friends and will also occasionally build and send one free of charge to someone who he feels is in need of money, as they are averaging between 5 and 8 grand currently.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 2 2022, 05:23 PM
Take a look ... https://reverb.com/marketplace?make=klon&am...ry=klon+centaur

KTR ... https://reverb.com/marketplace?make=klon&query=klon+ktr

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 2 2022, 08:26 PM
WOW. That is just nuts imho. 5k for an overdrive? I'm sure it sounds great and all but just flat out wow. Prices have gone officially crazy.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 2 2022, 12:23 PM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 2 2022, 09:10 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I guess things just become collector's items regardless, and desirability pushes the prices up, I bet most of these aren't even used, look at the price of this stamp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/20...uction-sothebys

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 2 2022, 07:26 PM) *
WOW. That is just nuts imho. 5k for an overdrive? I'm sure it sounds great and all but just flat out wow. Prices have gone officially crazy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 3 2022, 05:47 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 2 2022, 10:07 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
The prices on those overdrives are pretty nutty. Couldn't read much about the stamps as the article is behind a paywall.
I got my first look at crazy high prices for products this summer when looking at lumber prices for a project I was considering. The 300% or more price increases quickly put that project on hold. Home building grinded to a halt around here as did other major building projects until the fall when prices started dropping a bit but there were still some items that just couldn't be found such as electrical panels among other things. There have been 6 month waits or more for windows and all of these shortages have led to projects taking far longer than usual to complete. We had a problem with a control box for our well and was lucky to find a guy who just happened to have one in his work truck. We couldn't find one anywhere.
Early in the summer we noticed that it was pretty much impossible to find a new boat up here in AK. Used boat prices went nuts as did used and new car prices. Every boat dealer around had empty showrooms and everything used was cleaned out too. It was the same for PWC's, you just couldn't find them. Many of these dealers became the middleman for folks wanting to unload their used boats and watercraft. My folks sold their 10 yr old pontoon boat in within a couple of days of posting it and it sold for just shy of what it cost brand new. They also cleaned up selling a 40ft motorhome. I watched a 20 yr old ski boat go for 75% of what it cost new and there was a bidding war for it immediately after in went on the market. I sold some of my old watersports equipment for good money too. Again, one item went for probably %90 of what it was new 20 yrs ago.
It has been a crazy year and I am happy to see it go and I am optimistic that things will be more back to normal as we move through the new year.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Jan 2 2022, 10:19 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 3 2022, 12:53 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jan 2 2022, 10:07 PM) *
The prices on those overdrives are pretty nutty. Couldn't read much about the stamps as the article is behind a paywall.
I got my first look at crazy high prices for products this summer when looking at lumber prices for a project I was considering. The 300% or more price increases quickly put that project on hold. Home building grinded to a halt around here as did other major building projects until the fall when prices started dropping a bit but there were still some items that just couldn't be found such as electrical panels among other things. There have been 6 month waits or more for windows and all of these shortages have led to projects taking far longer than usual to complete. We had a problem with a control box for our well and was lucky to find a guy who just happened to have one in his work truck. We couldn't find one anywhere.
Early in the summer we noticed that it was pretty much impossible to find a new boat up here in AK. Used boat prices went nuts as did used and new car prices. Every boat dealer around had empty showrooms and everything used was cleaned out too. It was the same for PWC's, you just couldn't find them. Many of these dealers became the middleman for folks wanting to unload their used boats and watercraft. My folks sold their 10 yr old pontoon boat in within a couple of days of posting it and it sold for just shy of what it cost brand new. They also cleaned up selling a 40ft motorhome. I watched a 20 yr old ski boat go for 75% of what it cost new and there was a bidding war for it immediately after in went on the market. I sold some of my old watersports equipment for good money too. Again, one item went for probably %90 of what it was new 20 yrs ago.
It has been a crazy year and I am happy to see it go and I am optimistic that things will be more back to normal as we move through the new year.

it's come down a little .. it got up to ten dollars a stud and 30 for a sheet of plywood.. someone just ran into my wifes 72 burb, still going thru the process of their insurance paying for it

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 3 2022, 02:20 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jan 2 2022, 02:53 PM) *
it's come down a little .. it got up to ten dollars a stud and 30 for a sheet of plywood.. someone just ran into my wifes 72 burb, still going thru the process of their insurance paying for it

Yeah, since the summer, lumber prices dropped off a little, went back up, and then dropped off again. Still pretty high though. I saw some sheets of OSB for around $30 a sheet the other day which is still pretty high. Hope you can get the Suburban fixed back up without too much hassle.
I remember seeing 4x8 sheets of tongue and groove sub floor decking for $90 a sheet. 2x4 studs were 2 bucks a ft or better.. Pretty nutso.
These photo's are from May.

Attached Image
Attached Image

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Jan 3 2022, 04:43 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 3 2022, 05:49 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jan 2 2022, 09:07 PM) *

I thought there was enough to see but I've changed the link to this nowhttps://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2021/oct/26/first-penny-black-stamp-auction-sothebys wink.gif

It just shows it doesn't matter what it is or even if it can be used, prices can be crazy smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 4 2022, 01:26 AM
Inflation is really biting hard. The supply chain issues and economy heating up and pushing things in to crazy land. High end collectibles and art have never really stopped being pricey, but stuff like lumber all the way to used jet skis are being hit hard by a sheer lack of supply. The chip shortage is making anything tech based more pricey including cars etc.

it's the used market in guitar gear that most concerns me. I've seen a disturbing rise in use guitar gear prices for a couple of years now and these prices seem to be coming down a pinch and normalizing in the crazy high range. Lots of folks decided to start playing guitar during the pandemic. Many new home studios were built smile.gif I think this is one of the few silver linings smile.gif

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jan 2 2022, 05:07 PM) *

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 4 2022, 02:57 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 3 2022, 07:49 AM) *
I thought there was enough to see but I've changed the link to this nowhttps://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2021/oct/26/first-penny-black-stamp-auction-sothebys wink.gif

It just shows it doesn't matter what it is or even if it can be used, prices can be crazy smile.gif

Yeah, I guess there was enough to get the jist of the article. But isn't that a rare collectable from the 1800's and in a bit of a different category than everyday items that have gotten pricey and/or hard to find? And wouldn't it be great to find one in a drawer somewhere that you put away for safe keeping once upon a time? Sometimes it's amazing where things like that can turn up.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 3 2022, 03:26 PM) *
Inflation is really biting hard. The supply chain issues and economy heating up and pushing things in to crazy land. High end collectibles and art have never really stopped being pricey, but stuff like lumber all the way to used jet skis are being hit hard by a sheer lack of supply. The chip shortage is making anything tech based more pricey including cars etc.

it's the used market in guitar gear that most concerns me. I've seen a disturbing rise in use guitar gear prices for a couple of years now and these prices seem to be coming down a pinch and normalizing in the crazy high range. Lots of folks decided to start playing guitar during the pandemic. Many new home studios were built smile.gif I think this is one of the few silver linings smile.gif

Maybe someone will pay top dollar for my old bass guitar and Kustom speaker columns. wink.gif

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Jan 4 2022, 02:59 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 5 2022, 06:34 AM
Id say put your old gear on reverb.com and quadruple the price from what you think it's worth wink.gif That seems to be the trend these days. smile.gif

I ran across this article about how the CAR industry is trying to move to a "made to order" model instead of just ordering huge numbers of cars with every version of options. Evidently, with the lack of supply and lack of shipping, we are seeing a serious price crunch on cars as well as just about everything else. Lumber, as you mentioned, and pretty much everything under the sun. It remains unclear whether folks will want to switch the way they buy a car but they may not have much choice.
https://www.axios.com/cars-shortage-made-to...e=pocket-newtab

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jan 3 2022, 09:57 PM) *
Maybe someone will pay top dollar for my old bass guitar and Kustom speaker columns. wink.gif

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 7 2022, 09:09 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Interesting and relevant interview with the CEO of Fender, Andy Mooney.
https://www.musicradar.com/amp/news/fender-guitar-stock

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 8 2022, 06:08 AM
Supply chain disruption and greater demand due to folks learning to play guitar as a result of just having more time on their hands equals price hikes. Looks like this will continue for a while.

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jan 7 2022, 04:09 PM) *
Interesting and relevant interview with the CEO of Fender, Andy Mooney.
https://www.musicradar.com/amp/news/fender-guitar-stock

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 8 2022, 07:28 AM
It kinda depends on what you're looking for.
I've mentioned a few times here that I wanted a Gretsch Jet w/a Bigsby. Generally they go for around $2700.00 US. Pre Covid or currently and those are Japanese. Any USA built Gretsch is 5 grand or more. I really did not want to spend that much dough so I gave up. A buddy told me to check with Sweetwater. They have the Korean line and most are sub $1000. I found something I like. A G5420TG Electromatic Hollowbody whsc. This is the same price they've been for years. I guess nobody really wants these - ?

Attached Image

It's one of the few 'classic' guitars that I've never owned. I hope I like it!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 8 2022, 07:31 AM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:14 PM