> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Gregh - Funky Ballad
Grade
Funky Ballad
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 3 ] ** [100.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

GregH
Jul 18 2011, 12:33 AM
GMC:er
My first submission. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

The original:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Funky-Ballad/

Equipment:
Fender Strat (American), audio through M-Audio fasttrack pro to Audacity. Video is MS Lifecam.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by skennington: Jul 19 2011, 03:58 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 18 2011, 09:59 AM
Instructor
The tone is OK and playing OK, but there are timing issues. You need to be able to follow the drums. Let the snare of the drum be your guide to punch in those notes more precisely.

Other big problem are the bends. I think you may use thicker strings too, try to put thinner strings to practice bending, and use all the fingers for bending, as support for the fretting finger.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 18 2011, 10:53 AM
Instructor
Hi Greg, first I'd like to say well done for leaping into REC ! smile.gif

You picked a really nice lesson to learn.. it's also full of very subtle phrasing techniues that are quite tricky to tackle all at once. I think at the moment this lesson is a bit too much because of the techniques involved. It would be easier to work on these areas in smaller doses by picking some lessons that focus specifically on certain areas like bending, sliding or vibrato. If we spend some time working on your key areas, then tackling a piece like this will be so much easier.

I'll send you a p.m. with some suggestions ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 18 2011, 12:31 PM
Instructor
Hey man! Congratz on starting to work with the REC wink.gif it'll pay off nicely - I already see that Ben has started this process so there's nothing to worry about, trust me wink.gif

Anyway, timing, accuracy and roundness in your articulation will show off in time, once you get to break down every beat and understand it. As a general advice - make every note count! There are no such things as notes that can be neglected smile.gif start off with this thing in mind and your learning process will provide good results! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 19 2011, 07:34 AM
Instructor
It's so cool that you decided to record your first Rec take!! Congrats man! This videos helps us a lot to know how to help you with your playing. As the previous instructors said, the most important thing to work in this take is your timing. I think that you could try to play is along with the original lesson to incorporate the rhythm and figures of this solo. After that you can try again alone with the backing but you have to record yourself ever time to let you check if your timing is better or not. I wonder if you are used to practice exercises using metronome, if not, you have to start doing it.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 19 2011, 03:58 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Keep working on it man, the foundation is there! 5 on this attempt..

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:17 AM