2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Recording Backing Tracks For Rec, Sound is breaking up
Matt23
Jun 1 2009, 01:34 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
On a lot of my REC videos, instructors have noticed that my backing tracks are breaking up, possibly causing me to play out of time. I'd just like to ask a few questions about it, since I can't post in the REC board.

1. By breaking up do you mean whole bits are missed out, or there are little blips and hesitations now and then.

2. Would you be able to explain how to fix this, in a way that could be understood by someone who doesn't know a lot about computers. wink.gif

Cheers

Matt smile.gif

P.S. When I record backings I plug a cable into the line in socket of my computer, and into teh phones socket of my pod, then record the backing into reaper by playing it through the pod, into my line in socket. Just incase the way I do it changes the way it should be sorted.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 1 2009, 01:44 PM
Instructor
Hi Matt !

I left you couple of comments about that on your REC recordings. Let me first tell you about what that simply means.
In most simplest form of explanations it means that backing track is not running smoothly. In your example, backing track somewhere along the line stops for a milisecond (or more) and then it resumes ! This of course makes it very hard for you to play in time and basically throws you off in a way. This I see as the main reason for your rhythm placement ups and downs.

What causes this to happen ?
It can be that you are running a lot of programs in your computer and your RAM memory is overwhelmed !
So try when you record next time to close down Firefox or Internet Explorer, all messenger applications (MSN, Yahoo and all the rest), and basically just run your recording applications !

Another thing that might be useful is hard drive space. If your hard disc space is low (lets say you have 5, 10 gbs left on it), it would be great idea to back up that hard drive. Take your movies and music and burn it to DVD(s). This will empty some space on your computer to run smoother.

I hope this helps Matt. Let me know if you need anything !

Pedja

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 1 2009, 01:45 PM
Instructor
It sounded like high buffering so your CPU is struggling to processes everything, not sure.
I think it would be much easier to simply ask for BT from certain instructor. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 1 2009, 01:47 PM
Instructor
Couple of more things Matt !

How are you recording things for REC ? Give us the way you do things, maybe things can be simplified somewhere in there...

Another possible problem that I see is your Sound Card. Maybe it doesn't do great job with your processor and RAM memory to record in real time.
I doubt thats the problem, but it doesn't hurt to say it smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Jun 1 2009, 01:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jun 1 2009, 01:50 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Well when I did this I only had firefox and reaper open, but I might have had MSN and Skype running in the background. Do you think closing them would help. I will try and clear up my hard drive a bit too. That's something I should do anyway.

Right pedja, here's the way i record for the REC.

When I record I record the backign as I said above. Off the lesson, through my pod, into my line in socket, and into reaper. I then open up a new track and record my take onto that, through USB from my pod.

I have to record video on the webcam of my dad's laptop (not the computer I record audio on) since my camcorder won't work, so that doesn't interfere with the backing at all.

This post has been edited by Matt23: Jun 1 2009, 01:51 PM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 1 2009, 01:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Jun 1 2009, 02:48 PM) *
Well when I did this I only had firefox and reaper open, but I might have had MSN and Skype running in the background. Do you think closing them would help. I will try and clear up my hard drive a bit too. That's something I should do anyway.

Definitely !
Firefox takes way too much RAM memory and processor work.
I am almost definitely sure now that if you close Firefox and Messengers you will have no problems now.

Do a test recording , you dont even have to play right lesson nor worry about lighting, just do it to see if the backing brakes. I would also do couple of them in a row to see what happens...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jun 1 2009, 01:53 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jun 1 2009, 01:51 PM) *
Definitely !
Firefox takes way too much RAM memory and processor work.
I am almost definitely sure now that if you close Firefox and Messengers you will have no problems now.

Do a test recording , you dont even have to play right lesson nor worry about lighting, just do it to see if the backing brakes. I would also do couple of them in a row to see what happens...

I have to have Firefox open to play the backing though.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 1 2009, 01:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Jun 1 2009, 02:53 PM) *

Close all other applications that you don't REALLY need when recording.
And if problem continues to occur I strongly advice to
ask instructor for BT, why bothering yourself. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 1 2009, 01:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Jun 1 2009, 02:53 PM) *

I suggest you ask instructor to send you backing track or post it somewhere for you. That way you can put that same backing in the Reaper and open extra track for your solo recording.

Trust me this will take care of all your problems, you will be surprised how smooth things will run smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jun 1 2009, 03:58 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I took all your advice, I deleted some files, emptied my recycle bin, closed all unnecessary programs, and tried to record a backing. I was wondering if you could tell me if the problem is gone, since I'm not entirely sure what the "breaking up" you mentioned sounds like.

Attached File  Odd_Grooves_Backing.mp3 ( 495.91K ) Number of downloads: 132

Edit: I just heard what I think your talking about. I guess I'll just ask for backings then. It's just that when I finish a lesson I like to record it straight away, and I can't do that if I have to wait for a backing.

This post has been edited by Matt23: Jun 1 2009, 04:01 PM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 1 2009, 04:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Jun 1 2009, 04:58 PM) *
I took all your advice, I deleted some files, emptied my recycle bin, closed all unnecessary programs, and tried to record a backing. I was wondering if you could tell me if the problem is gone, since I'm not entirely sure what the "breaking up" you mentioned sounds like.

Attached File  Odd_Grooves_Backing.mp3 ( 495.91K ) Number of downloads: 132

Edit: I just heard what I think your talking about. I guess I'll just ask for backings then. It's just that when I finish a lesson I like to record it straight away, and I can't do that if I have to wait for a backing.

Matt its still breaking unfortunately. You can hear audio clipping on and off couple of times. If you get backing from instructor this will be eliminated and you are all set for REC program smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 1 2009, 05:05 PM
Instructor
Here is Odd Grooves backing for you Matt. smile.gif

Attached File  Odd_Grooves_BT_115_bpm.mp3 ( 787.17K ) Number of downloads: 138

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jun 1 2009, 05:06 PM
Instructor
This is much easier for sure smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 1 2009, 10:44 PM
Instructor
I never experienced any problems with Firefox being turned on while recording, I often make projects with 10-15 tabs in Firefox, and complicated Vegas projects and I rarely come in cross in any big problems, and my PC is not that fast, 4000+ X2 and 3GB RAM. The real problem might be in your sound card. You mentioned you are using line in, what line in is that man? Does POD have USB connection ?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jun 2 2009, 10:22 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 1 2009, 10:44 PM) *
I never experienced any problems with Firefox being turned on while recording, I often make projects with 10-15 tabs in Firefox, and complicated Vegas projects and I rarely come in cross in any big problems, and my PC is not that fast, 4000+ X2 and 3GB RAM. The real problem might be in your sound card. You mentioned you are using line in, what line in is that man? Does POD have USB connection ?

The POD does have USB connection, but you can't record a backing with it, only guitar. Line in is a socket on the back of the computer where you can put any audio input. My memory is only 2GB, and my soundcard is whatever came with my computer. Do you think it would be worth upgrading to something better, because I've just noticed that I actually have this problem all the time with playback, so just getting the backings off the instructors will only help a little bit.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 2 2009, 10:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Jun 2 2009, 11:22 AM) *
The POD does have USB connection, but you can't record a backing with it, only guitar. Line in is a socket on the back of the computer where you can put any audio input. My memory is only 2GB, and my soundcard is whatever came with my computer. Do you think it would be worth upgrading to something better, because I've just noticed that I actually have this problem all the time with playback, so just getting the backings off the instructors will only help a little bit.

External and better audio card is always an investment worth of considering imo.
You can get very nice card for 100-300$, M-Audio, E-MU, Teratec etc,
there are few brands.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jun 2 2009, 10:28 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jun 2 2009, 10:25 AM) *
External and better audio card is always an investment worth of considering imo.
You can get very nice card for 100-300$, M-Audio, E-MU, Teratec etc,
there are few brands.

Is there anything cheaper than that that's worth getting, because I'm 14, and I don't have a job, so I don't have a lot of money.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 2 2009, 10:37 AM
Instructor
Matt try using backing track Muris provided here, input it in Reason, open up another audio channel for your solo and record. Lets see if the breaking will happen then.
There is a way you can go around without paying 100$ for new sound card.

My friend bass player has very weak computer and manages to record without latency.

Post something today if you find time and we will take it from there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 2 2009, 10:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Jun 2 2009, 11:28 AM) *
Is there anything cheaper than that that's worth getting, because I'm 14, and I don't have a job, so I don't have a lot of money.

This
or This

That's pretty much that I can think of atm.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jun 2 2009, 10:54 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jun 2 2009, 10:37 AM) *
Matt try using backing track Muris provided here, input it in Reason, open up another audio channel for your solo and record. Lets see if the breaking will happen then.
There is a way you can go around without paying 100$ for new sound card.

My friend bass player has very weak computer and manages to record without latency.

Post something today if you find time and we will take it from there.

Ok, I've recorded me playing over Muris' backing. I did notice when i recorded it that the backing broke up a bit.

When I played it back I noticed little pauses at 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 42, and 47. I'd be interested to know if that's when everyone else hears them, so I know if it's a recording or a playback issue. Or both.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Odd_Grooves_Test.mp3 ( 806.82K ) Number of downloads: 125

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:23 PM