Marty Friedman's Interview
Adam
Apr 24 2019, 11:44 AM
Learning Roadie
It's quite interesting to watch, so I thought I'd share it smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 24 2019, 06:33 PM
Instructor
I've watched the first 15 minutes and I loved it!! These interviews are always very inspiring.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 25 2019, 12:11 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 24 2019, 06:33 PM) *
I've watched the first 15 minutes and I loved it!! These interviews are always very inspiring.

I've watched about 25 minutes before and I'm finishing it now. I still learned new things about him! I always thought he didn't want another band after Megadeth but I guess that's why hearing the man himself is better than reading even the best article that's made to attract readers.
Besides the technicalities and more exact background I learned that he's a great person. Modest and kind, unlike some of the "rockstars". And he, of all people, has a lot to brag about. You're right saying these interviews are inspiring! I'm always more determined to improve after watching this kind of footage!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Madfish
Apr 25 2019, 10:05 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 24 2019, 11:11 PM) *
Besides the technicalities and more exact background I learned that he's a great person. Modest and kind, unlike some of the "rockstars". And he, of all people, has a lot to brag about.

Slash, Petrucci, Vai, Satriani, Govan, Timmons ... all these great artists seem very humble. At least in the interviews. There is one obvious exception from Sweden.

Some time back I watched a long interview with Albert Lee. It struck me how tough (mentally/emotionally) you had to be to make it as a musician in the 60s/70s. Today you can pretty much never leave your bedroom. Maybe that makes a difference.

This post has been edited by Madfish: Apr 25 2019, 06:48 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 25 2019, 01:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 24 2019, 08:11 PM) *
I've watched about 25 minutes before and I'm finishing it now. I still learned new things about him! I always thought he didn't want another band after Megadeth but I guess that's why hearing the man himself is better than reading even the best article that's made to attract readers.
Besides the technicalities and more exact background I learned that he's a great person. Modest and kind, unlike some of the "rockstars". And he, of all people, has a lot to brag about. You're right saying these interviews are inspiring! I'm always more determined to improve after watching this kind of footage!

If you didn't, I recommend to see other Captain meets chapters. Check out Paul Gilbert's, Steve Vai's, Guthrie Govan's and John Petrucci's. All of them are amazing and very inspiring!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 25 2019, 11:55 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Madfish @ Apr 25 2019, 10:05 AM) *
Slash, Petrucci, Vai, Satriani, Govan, Timmons ... all these great artists seem very humble. At least in the interviews. There is one obvious exception from Sweden.

Some time back I watched a long interview with Albert Lee. It struck me how tough (mentally/emotionally) you had to be to make it as a musician in the 60s/70s. Today you can pretty much never leave your bedroom. Maybe that makes a difference.

I even heard Yngwie is okay as a person but keeps this looks so people don't tire him but think of him as arrogant/egoistic. I don't know what to think of him as a person but he's definitely skilled as a musician. I meant small local bands that really act like the rockstars and dress accordingly while anyone hardly knows their name. There's quite a lot of them in my vicinity. They are superhumans because they do art.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 25 2019, 01:31 PM) *
If you didn't, I recommend to see other Captain meets chapters. Check out Paul Gilbert's, Steve Vai's, Guthrie Govan's and John Petrucci's. All of them are amazing and very inspiring!

I found this channel because of gear reviews but I'll follow your advice! I didn't know they do that kind of videos too until now. I enjoy listening to others and learning more about people but musicians are even more interesting to hear out smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 26 2019, 06:56 AM
GMC Founder
Cool! It's interesting how he started transcribing all the exotic licks after having moved to Hawaii - where there was no music scene for him.

This reminds me a little of living in a small town (or country such as Sweden). That can inspire you to go a different route simply because, there aren't many other options.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 26 2019, 08:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 25 2019, 07:55 PM) *
I found this channel because of gear reviews but I'll follow your advice! I didn't know they do that kind of videos too until now. I enjoy listening to others and learning more about people but musicians are even more interesting to hear out smile.gif

I think that you'll love the ones that I've recommended, starting with Gilbert's and Vai's.

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 26 2019, 02:56 AM) *
Cool! It's interesting how he started transcribing all the exotic licks after having moved to Hawaii - where there was no music scene for him.

This reminds me a little of living in a small town (or country such as Sweden). That can inspire you to go a different route simply because, there aren't many other options.

Transforming Limitations Into Advantages.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Apr 26 2019, 08:49 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 26 2019, 10:56 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 26 2019, 09:49 PM) *
Transforming Limitations Into Advantages.

Yes that's a key concept, regardless of your situation!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 27 2019, 07:09 AM
GMC:er
Marty is a great example of a self taught player who is a brilliant player despite the fact that he has some seriously bad habits built in to his technique (his picking technique primarily) but instead of letting it hold him back, he incorporated it in to his style and it defines his overall sound and style. It just goes to show, perfect technique is not a requirement of being a great player. Also, he refuses to play "techniques/drills" of any kind. He even suggests other players don't do it. Essentially he takes a very organic approach to playing. It's worked well for him. Sadly, I've have had students who really wanted to take this approach to playing and it ended up just going very badly. So it does come down to the player. Not everyone can just avoid proper technique and end up a brilliant player. Many folks just end up playing badly.

QUOTE (Adam M @ Apr 24 2019, 06:44 AM) *
It's quite interesting to watch, so I thought I'd share it smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 27 2019, 07:10 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 27 2019, 03:40 PM
GMC:er
There are many influential, unique and great players that have unorthodox or even "bad" technique in all styles of guitar playing and music. What separates them from just another player with bad technique is that they live, breath, eat and drink music all day, everyday for years on end. They love it more than anything else. You can always overcome a technique deficiency when you truly desire to get the art out.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 27 2019, 03:40 PM

+Quote Post
Adam
Apr 28 2019, 11:31 PM
Learning Roadie
I've got the interviews on my playlist already and I think I'll start with Paul Gilbert smile.gif

Marty is unique with his picking style because he's not able to do sweep picking and yet he's able to pull off sick solos!

QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 27 2019, 03:40 PM) *
There are many influential, unique and great players that have unorthodox or even "bad" technique in all styles of guitar playing and music. What separates them from just another player with bad technique is that they live, breath, eat and drink music all day, everyday for years on end. They love it more than anything else. You can always overcome a technique deficiency when you truly desire to get the art out.

If this is a main difference between good players and great players, I'm on a good way. Sometimes I even wonder if I'm addicted to music.

This post has been edited by Adam M: Apr 28 2019, 11:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
May 3 2019, 03:33 PM
Learning Roadie
I've come across another video lesson by Marty and I thought I'd link it here if anyone's interested:

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:53 AM