4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Challenge!, keep you on your toes marcus!
iainsteward
Sep 18 2008, 03:00 PM
GMC:er
Hi Marcus,

I am a firm believer in challenging yourself and i find it helps you improve. There is a certain song by a certain neoclassical god that NOBODY can play but aforementioned god. I have scoured Youtube and other video/guitar sites and there isnt a person who can play it. I would like to see a video of you having a go at playing it, as to not only get a better understanding of how to play it but also to inspire smile.gif

The solo part is from Vengeance by none other than Yngwie Malmsteen.......think you can handle it?

All the best,
Iain!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Sep 18 2008, 03:28 PM
Instructor
Hey Iain,
Hehe... so what makes you think I can play it, when it appears nobody besides the maestro himself can?! laugh.gif huh.gif

Actually, it's funny you picked that solo because it was one of my favorite many years ago (I think the whole Magnum Opus album is amazing, btw). And I still sometimes teach my students to play it in the guiar school I'm working at (at least the intro part to the solo). So yeah, I could probably give it a shot.... maybe not as Yngwie though smile.gif

hm... so what challenge should I give to YOU now? tongue.gif
- To play Kris's lesson #1000 wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 18 2008, 03:30 PM
GMC Founder
laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 18 2008, 03:46 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
What a great competition!! Good luck to both of you I'll axiously follow the development of this biggrin.gif Who'll be the first to finish, who'll be closest to the original? ohmy.gif

Rock on!

+Quote Post
steve25
Sep 18 2008, 03:47 PM
I want a challenge ^.^ go easy though

+Quote Post
wollace03
Sep 18 2008, 03:51 PM
sounds like a cool challenge!
i think it would be a good idea to have more little challenges between members..... to motivate us all depending on the level we are....

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 18 2008, 04:01 PM
I love the idea of challenges ohmy.gif

Why not have a weekly/monthly/daily challenge, it doesn't have to have any prizes, just to serve as a motivation tool to learn!

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Capt.Z
Sep 18 2008, 04:04 PM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Sep 18 2008, 11:01 AM) *
I love the idea of challenges ohmy.gif

Why not have a weekly/monthly/daily challenge, it doesn't have to have any prizes, just to serve as a motivation tool to learn!

Good Idea ohmy.gif

--------------------

GMC IS TIGHT DAWG

+Quote Post
Pitch_Black
Sep 18 2008, 04:09 PM
This would be awesome!

--------------------
Gear:
Amps:
Vox AD50VT
Yamaha GA-10
Guitars:
Gibson SG
Hohner Acoustic
Effects:
Digitech Death Metal Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby 535q Wah Pedal
And a lot on my Vox

Long Live Rock And Roll!

+Quote Post
Canis
Sep 18 2008, 04:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
Good luck to the both of you =)

And I love the idea of a weekly challenge.. Almost like a collab, but instead, students have one week to practice a piece and upload it =)
Only for motivation and fun/community, of course ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Sep 18 2008, 05:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Canis @ Sep 18 2008, 05:31 PM) *
And I love the idea of a weekly challenge.. Almost like a collab, but instead, students have one week to practice a piece and upload it =)

Yes, I agree! It's a great idea smile.gif
Lets see more of this biggrin.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 18 2008, 05:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Canis @ Sep 18 2008, 05:31 PM) *
Good luck to the both of you =)

Sounds great! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Sep 18 2008, 05:25 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
This is a cool idea , I would love to have a challenge from Marcus.

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Siggum
Sep 18 2008, 05:49 PM
Nice idea, sounds like fun... good luck man biggrin.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 18 2008, 06:50 PM
I'm not sure but 1 week for a heavy challenge like Vengeance is not enough. I'm giving it a try, (I'm having a hard time getting the riff clean at full speed. I'm almost doing it!! Just a little bit to go) But seriously, the solo is nuts...
I know I would need more than a week to do that song justice, if spend all my spare time practising. So it's a good Idea, but much more than a week, unless you're going to chose simpler songs like Sweet child o' mine or something.

I also do know that I'm not in this challenge, I just love the song (thanks for the recommendation) but this was in general of the challenge idea.

Hmm, it almost sounds like he's using an open D-string. Marcus, you're kinda into malmsteen, right? Does he play standard-tuning or flattened?

This post has been edited by Oxac: Sep 18 2008, 06:57 PM

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Sep 18 2008, 08:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Oxac @ Sep 18 2008, 07:50 PM) *
Does he play standard-tuning or flattened?

Yes, as far as I know he tune down one half tone (to E-flat) smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Oxac
Sep 18 2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks marcus, he probably plays it with an open D-string then, makes it alot easier tongue.gif

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Sep 18 2008, 08:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Oxac @ Sep 18 2008, 09:22 PM) *
Thanks marcus, he probably plays it with an open D-string then, makes it alot easier tongue.gif

Yeah, the intro riff is on the open D-string. Pretty cool riff biggrin.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
iainsteward
Sep 18 2008, 11:32 PM
well, if Marcus has set me a challenge then I feel I must adhere to it. I look forward to seeing your take on vengeance....if anyone can do it you can!!

I hope I can do Kris #1000 justice, I will post my effort up here sometime in the near future!!

Lets get some more challenges up and running, and see how far we can all help each other to push ourselves.

Best of luck,
Iain!

+Quote Post
sigma7
Sep 18 2008, 11:43 PM
wow that sounds like an awesome idea

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:37 AM