6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Discussion : Gmc Endorsement/validation Program
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 23 2009, 09:33 PM
GMC:er
I posted my brainstorming thoughts in the thread where David left his idea.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 23 2009, 09:40 PM
I think a panel of instructors who vote PASS OR FAIL is all thats needed.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jan 23 2009, 09:52 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I'd love to see this happen. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 23 2009, 10:06 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Jan 23 2009, 11:22 PM) *
What about you post your take of a lesson with a poll. Only instructors can vote. You have a uniform ranking of your take from like 1 to 5
5 perfect
4 excellent
3 average
2 you need to work harder on it
1 unsatisfactory

this way it isnt bound to any particular instructor - they can vote as they will you know what I mean?

Using a poll sounds like a good idea! We could think set minimum percentage required to "pass".

edit - this got me thinking! Maybe we should just throw out these polls in the open on the "instructors only" board..!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 23 2009, 10:11 PM
Instructor
Just great, will track this very closely! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 23 2009, 10:14 PM
Instructor
This sounds awesome, I really want to see how this system is incorporated here. It will be fun! smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 23 2009, 10:16 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I think the best thing would be that it would encourage people to FINISH lessons up to speed rather than just stealing licks here and there. smile.gif

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 23 2009, 10:17 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 23 2009, 04:06 PM) *
edit - this got me thinking! Maybe we should just throw out these polls in the open on the "instructors only" board..!

This would be a very good and simplistic approach. Once a grading system is in place, all they would need to do is vote! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 23 2009, 10:19 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jan 24 2009, 12:16 AM) *
I think the best thing would be that it would encourage people to FINISH lessons up to speed rather than just stealing licks here and there. smile.gif

Yes that is another reason to do this. If you almost nail a lesson - why not nail it completely and then get "visible" points for it? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Jan 23 2009, 10:25 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 23 2009, 10:19 PM) *
Yes that is another reason to do this. If you almost nail a lesson - why not nail it completely and then get "visible" points for it? smile.gif

indeed.. if one got some kind of "reward" like this one might complete the lesson..

awesome idea.. biggrin.gif

edit: it would give people a sense of accomplishment, and might boost their confidense.. which is a bit plus.. smile.gif

also, to take it even further it would be cool if the completed lesson was added to the profile, so you could view all the lessons you'd completed (maybe even with links to own videos.. ie youtube)

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Jan 23 2009, 10:42 PM

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jan 23 2009, 10:34 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
It will also work for GMC, as in order to prove that one has completed the lesson a video would most probably be needed, and video responses, placed for example on Youtube will bring the glory of GMC to the masses;)

--------------------

+Quote Post
superize
Jan 23 2009, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
This sounds very interesting

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 23 2009, 10:35 PM
Learning Roadie
Sounds really good. It seems to me though, that if someone went and did ALL the lessons on GMC, their average level of ability would be dragged down by all the lower level lessons they do. Of course, this would be offset by their diversity, but maybe some kind of system whereby lower levels of lessons aren't factored into the average level score. Just like the system you have in place:

1 - 2 Guitarist
3 - 4 Player
5 - 6 Rocker/Shredder
7 - 8 Guitar Hero
9 - 10 Guitar God

Except that if their "experience" consists of only level 1-2 lessons, only those will be factored into their level average. If their experience consisted of many levels though, especially if it's someone that has been learning a lot and improving, it will only average the lessons that are of the highest level they can do. There would need to be a few lessons shown to prove that they can play at this level though.

For example, if a 'player' has been playing level 3-4 lessons for a while, but can manage to show competence now doing some level 5 lessons, maybe even a level 6, they can submit those and they'll become a 'rocker/shredder' and their average 'level' will now only be average among the level 5-6 lessons they can complete. This way, their diversity keeps increasing but their level accurately reflects how good of a player they are.

It's like making a bunch of f's (not comparing low level lessons here to failures), and then a few A's. Obviously, you know the stuff because you made the A's, but you have a bunch of f's (completed low level lessons, in this case actually a good thing) that will drag your average down to something not accurate to your real level.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
DaniHel
Jan 23 2009, 11:08 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Great idea!

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Jan 23 2009, 11:08 PM
The Dark Canuck
This is so great smile.gif Just another great initiative that puts GMC well above any other guitar site on the web.

I think using the practice agendas is one way to post your take of a lesson to be "graded". Maybe there could be a pinned topic in the main GMC board so when you have finished a lesson and want it graded, you can post in there with a link to your practice agenda. And maybe there can be a box put in your agenda for your points and level that the "graders" can amend as needed. Just an idea... no matter how it's done I can see the panel of "graders", whoever they are, being very busy smile.gif (Although I like the idea of the panel being made up of instructors seems the most fair)

As for a name... I'll have to think a little more on that one.

rok

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 23 2009, 11:09 PM
Instructor
Wow!It's funny how an original idea can go so far!
I really like what I read so far.

Andrew, I like the distinction between experience and level, it will surely prevent students to just go for easy lessons to get credit. I think the general classification you suggested is a good starting point. We can always tweak a bit as we go, but for now I really like it.

I think having instructors credit points is great. Maybe have some kind of scoring grid such as this for example:

Rhythm placement -/20
(self explanatory)

Cleanness -/20
(How clean the notes are)

Feel -/20
(Does it feel like the student really appropriated the guitar part to himself or does it sound like he's just copying something..)

Posture -/20

Sound -/20
(Probably not a good example, as we don't want to penalize students with poor quality material...)

We probably need to discuss that grid. I don't think we should include things like technique in there as if a more advanced player tackles a beginner's lesson, there is no point in grading his technique. We need to find a general system applicable to any lesson and any level. Does that make sense?

Maybe have something like 5 categories, each worth 20 points which once graded by let's 5 instructors the student will get a 100 point score.

If a student gets a final score of 50, he will get 50 per cent of the lesson's point value. If a student completes a lesson of level 5, and gets 50 points, he will earn 50 percent of 5. That student will earn a total of 2.5 points.

We could maybe have prizes such as access to a secret lesson, or maybe a one on one 30 minute lesson with one of the instructors (that's for when GMC will allow us to have that kind of feature...) smile.gif

Does that make sense?

This post has been edited by David Wallimann: Jan 23 2009, 11:09 PM

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Canis
Jan 23 2009, 11:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
This is brilliant! As long as we stay polite and don't rub titles in other peoples faces in the unfriendly manner (as I guess there will be some good natured, friendly teasing tongue.gif)
As if becoming a badass guitarist wasn't enough motivation, this will absolutely make it even more fun to learn lessons ^^

A suggestion for the name could be "The Stairway".. As inspired from the Rock and Roll History Museum's "Guitarway to Heaven" (atleast the Pick of Destiny version of it), which is inspired from Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven? ^^

By the way, I like your system, David ^^

This post has been edited by Canis: Jan 23 2009, 11:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 24 2009, 12:03 AM
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Jan 23 2009, 11:09 PM) *
Does that make sense?

Yeah, that's a nice idea, more flexible IMHO smile.gif

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jan 24 2009, 02:41 AM
I actually love the idea just as it is, simple and very effective, will serve as yet another motivation tool for everyone!

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
HAMWAGON
Jan 24 2009, 02:58 AM
I actually quite like this idea but i think there should be a grand prize such as a ibanez Jem or a Mesa boogie Tripple Rectifer tongue.gif tongue.gif ... Maybe not but it does sound quite good

This post has been edited by HAMWAGON: Jan 24 2009, 02:59 AM

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:47 PM