Anyone Good At English?, Need some help :S
Niko Fran
Jan 25 2009, 09:03 PM
GMC:er
I was given the assignment in school to locate five errors in the following text, but I wasen't able to locate that many, can anybody figure some out? Thanks alot!

On Sundays we like to go for a walk in the nature. lt's nice to get away from our usual surroundings and forget about all the work we ought to do. The problem is, of course, that the pollution in this city creeps in everywhere, and is felt even in the parks. The civilization has made the life easier, but there are some drawbacks as well: the parents are concerned because more and more children become allergic, and the unemployment seems to be increasing year by year.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
timono
Jan 25 2009, 09:08 PM
QUOTE (Niko Fran @ Jan 25 2009, 09:03 PM) *
I was given the assignment in school to locate five errors in the following text, but I wasen't able to locate that many, can anybody figure some out? Thanks alot!

On Sundays we like to go for a walk in the nature. lt's nice to get away from our usual surroundings and forget about all the work we ought to do. The problem is, of course, that the pollution in this city creeps in everywhere, and is felt even in the parks. The civilization has made the life easier, but there are some drawbacks as well: the parents are concerned because more and more children become allergic, and the unemployment seems to be increasing year by year.

think it's supposed to be 'The civilization has made life easier,'
don't know for sure though..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez RG 2550 EGK Presige, Essex wannabe Gibson guitar (don't know the full name), Alhambra acoustic guitar

Amps: Marshall MG 50DFX, Evans sound creator (50 watt), Orange crush 10

Effect pedals: Korg AX1500G

record stuff: Line 6 toneport UX1

Piano: Yamaha P-85

Wishlist:

Ibanez Jem 7V!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 25 2009, 09:19 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
With my copy editor's hat on I can see more than 5 errors.

Some hints: incorrect use of indefinite and definite articles; punctuation prior to conjunctions; incorrect use of punctuation marks; improper use of the implied dative.

As an academic I won't however tell you where all the issues are.

Best of luck.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Alex87
Jan 25 2009, 09:23 PM

Pøj pøj med det. Er virkelig ringe til den slags tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender Lead I - 1979, Hamer Steven Stevens sign. (modified) - 1986, Cort western, Santana acoustic

Amps:
Laney Lionheart LH5, Roland Cube 20 (the original orange one)

Effects (on board):
Boss TU-2 Tuner, Homebrew CPR Compressor, EHX Small Stone, Maxon OD-9 Overdrive, Mad Professor Mellow Yellow Tremolo, Boss DD-2, Carl Martin DeLayla XL, TC Electronic SCF1 Chorus/Flanger/Pitch Mod.

Effects (spare):
Boss OD-1 Overdrive, Boss CE-2 Chrous, Boss CS-1 Compressor, Schaller Volume Control, Boss PH-2 Phaser, Boss RV-2 Reverb

+Quote Post
Niko Fran
Jan 25 2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks Timono, I had spotted that one aswell though biggrin.gif I has some doubts about the start, I know it should be "On Sundays, we like..." Instead of "On Sundays we like..." But I have some doubts about if I should take On Sunday at the start of the sentence or the end.... Tonymiro, I dont quite understand what you just said, but thanks anyway tongue.gif

QUOTE (Alex87 @ Jan 25 2009, 09:23 PM) *
Pøj pøj med det. Er virkelig ringe til den slags tongue.gif

Haha mange tak, dansk er meget dejligere ja biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 25 2009, 09:54 PM
As a help Niko

- incorrect use of definite and indefinite articles - use of 'a', 'an' and 'the'; in English one would not say 'the civilisation' in this example but 'Civilisation'. No article is required usually where we refer to the general rather than the specific in this example. This happens more than once in the piece. Also, as another help, the more common conjunctions are 'and' and 'but'. Whilst one may put a punctuation mark prior to, or following, 'and' you should not place one prior to 'but'. Any punctuation wrt 'and' needs to be used carefully. The implied dative case is 'to' - in the specific instance the implied dative is superfluous. Punctuation - use of the colon and the construction of the preceding and succeeding clauses are dubious...

There are other issues as well. To some extent it depends on how pedantic one wishes to be as to how many errors there are.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
ParalyzedHorse
Jan 25 2009, 10:04 PM
I think its "Civilization has made life easier" instead of "the civilization has made the life." and "Parents are concerened" instead of "the parents." And maybe its "more children are becoming allergic," so it is in agreement with "increasing year by year"

hope this helps smile.gif

+Quote Post
Niko Fran
Jan 25 2009, 10:07 PM
Great, I actully understand that biggrin.gif Thanks alot Tony :)Thanks to you to Paralysed, hadnt thought about incresing smile.gif

One last question though, is it: On Sundays, we like to go for a walk in the nature - or - We like to go for a walk in the nature on Sundays ?

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 25 2009, 10:27 PM
You can use either Niko although the expression used commonly in the UK would be 'a nature walk' rather than 'a walk in the nature'.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 25 2009, 11:42 PM
Instructor
Damn, looks fine to me laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 25 2009, 11:51 PM
Instructor
Haha!
I love it, GMC not only makes you play guitar better but also improves you English chops.
Excellent!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 26 2009, 01:42 AM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jan 25 2009, 11:42 PM) *
Damn, looks fine to me laugh.gif

lol, after first reading had the same thought wink.gif

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Koopid
Jan 26 2009, 10:37 AM
Learning Roadie

I would remove all the "the" that are in bold letters. You can't type becoming allergic because it is not correct.

I am not 100% sure but these are the changes I would do. So remove 5 *the* and you're probably done smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 26 2009, 12:43 PM
QUOTE (Koopid @ Jan 26 2009, 10:37 AM) *
You can't type becoming allergic because it is not correct.

Although if he write "they are becoming allergic" it'd be perfect, and that's probably the most proper way of saying that...

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Koopid
Jan 26 2009, 12:52 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (utak3r @ Jan 26 2009, 12:43 PM) *
Although if he write "they are becoming allergic" it'd be perfect, and that's probably the most proper way of saying that...

Remove the "they" and it sounds better. But the original sentence is also correct. The extra "the"'s are not 100% incorrect either. They are just unnecessary.

This post has been edited by Koopid: Jan 26 2009, 12:55 PM

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:41 AM