Learning To Sing-2, Beginner mistakes
RyanAW
Sep 20 2007, 10:24 AM
GMC:er
Being a beginner at singing, I was hoping someone could tell me what some of the most common beginner mistakes are so I don't run into problems later on.

I'm also still struggling with expanding my vocal range.(I can't pass the the second octave of A on the guitar)

I also find it harder to reach higher/lower notes when singing different sounds. for example: "Bah" is easier to sing than "OO"

All help is greatly appreciated,
Ryan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RobM
Sep 20 2007, 11:11 AM
QUOTE (RyanAW @ Sep 20 2007, 05:24 AM) *
Being a beginner at singing, I was hoping someone could tell me what some of the most common beginner mistakes are so I don't run into problems later on.

I'm also still struggling with expanding my vocal range.(I can't pass the the second octave of A on the guitar)

I also find it harder to reach higher/lower notes when singing different sounds. for example: "Bah" is easier to sing than "OO"

All help is greatly appreciated,
Ryan

Have you tried the vocal lessons that are here on GMC? Luciana(hope i spelled that right) is a great singing teacher and has like 5 or 6 singing lessons here on GMC. I would start(do a search in lessons for singing) there and if you have any questions after that direct them towards her. Good luck.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 20 2007, 06:04 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Getting your breathing right is a big one - Luciana has a lesson on that.

Also, learning to "squeeze" a note makes the difference between an amateur sounding singer and a more professional one - its hard to describe, but its about focusing your vocal chords so that you get a purere sound, which uses up leass breath and sounds harder, letting you sing purer and longer notes (I have never really seen this explained anywhere so I thought I'd mention it).

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
RyanAW
Sep 21 2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the advice Rob and Andrew,
I have been working with Luciana's singing lessons, they are kind of hard to work with though because most of them go out of my range which is still my main concern.

Andrew: I don't really understand what you mean by "squeezing" the note. Do you mean to try to make a more solid sound or make it so it doesn't waver, if that makes sense.

And on my vocal range, what i ment to say was that i can't pass the second A note on the guitar. I want to sing a lot of solo stuff so this greatly concerns me.

Thanks,
Ryan

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 21 2007, 05:10 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (RyanAW @ Sep 21 2007, 05:29 AM) *
Andrew: I don't really understand what you mean by "squeezing" the note. Do you mean to try to make a more solid sound or make it so it doesn't waver, if that makes sense.

I think it relates to vocal chord tension - if you don't do it you get a lot of air through at the same time as the note, and your singing sounds breathy. If you squeeze properly, your tone gets a harder edge (less breathiness) and you use less air to sing the same thing - it is something that comes with practice.

Regarding range - everyone is different and you can't force it without doing yourself some damage, you need to relax. Singing exercises that gently take you to the top and bottom of your range and slightly over will in time increase your range a certain amount, but its no surprise to me that you cant sing the same range as Luciana smile.gif Instead, pitch those same exercises within a comfortable range for you, that is where they will do you the most good.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:08 PM