In The Style Of Question
sigma7
Sep 25 2008, 07:48 PM
GMC:er
Hey GMC Instructors! I noticed there was a ton of in the style lessons here. I was wondering how can you match other artists playing? Like, do you use the same techniques they use repititively...but many artists use the same techniques so this also confuses me.

I guess what I am asking is how do copy somebodyelses style?

-Alex smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by sigma7: Sep 25 2008, 07:49 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 25 2008, 08:29 PM
Instructor
The best way to get someones style is the copy his tone, licks, dynamics and phrasing. Listen closely to the songs of the artist and look for things that are unique fro that artist, so you can learn that.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
sigma7
Sep 25 2008, 08:58 PM
ok thanx Ivan for the fast response. That is good advice. ill study some peop;e and hopefully intertwine my own style when able!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 25 2008, 09:47 PM
Instructor
No problemo mate smile.gif

When I want to do in the style of lesson, I first check what gear the artist uses, and check out often used licks and techniques, and then I learn them. I use modeling software to create the sound similar to what I hear, using gear that artist uses as a guideline.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 26 2008, 11:51 AM
Instructor
Ivan already mentioned some things about gear and licks.

I would generally listen to at least 10 tracks and try to figure out most common patterns. It might be harmony that repeats, maybe same trademark licks that keep happening etc.
For Eddie V H it would be harmonics (natural ones) as well as tapped harmonics + legato with tapping (maybe open strings included) and mutted riffs with fill ins.

Hope this short analysis helped you !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 26 2008, 11:58 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I agree with the others, if you want to copy somebodys style you of course first have to analyze it to see what this person is using to create this individual style. Many things can play a role here, take a look at the equipment (if you want to get a Blackmore/Malmsteen like tone you should use a strat and Marshalls for example, not a Rectifier and Les Paul), you should take a look at things like tuning (Is the person using standard tunings, droped tunings, open tunings...), picking techniques (constant downpicking like Metallica, tapping like Van Halen, faster than the speed of light playing as Yngwie...), are there typical scales that the person is using to create certain atmospheres? Only if you pay attention to all those things you will really be able to play in the style of somebody else.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
sigma7
Sep 26 2008, 03:59 PM
thanx guys haha i wanted to study EvH and u used him as an example haha thanx again

--------------------

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Sep 26 2008, 04:12 PM
I bet what would also help is learning some of the actual songs from that artist.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 28 2008, 06:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Sep 26 2008, 04:59 PM) *
thanx guys haha i wanted to study EvH and u used him as an example haha thanx again

That's awesome!
Glad I could help man

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 28 2008, 07:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Sep 26 2008, 04:59 PM) *

No prob man, glad to help,

EVH is superb btw, good choice wink.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Sep 28 2008, 07:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:32 AM