2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Wow What A Difference!, New strings
Boson
Jan 9 2010, 02:43 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm no expert having only played seriously for 16 months.

I have been using Ernie Ball 009's since I started with guitar again in sept 2009. I have replaced them reasonably regularly every month or two.

However I have found that the top E string does not last to well, becoming dull with no sustain. I have been concerned about this thinking it must be the guitar but I found the same happened whichever guitar I put them on.

So today I decided upon a change and have just restrung my Brian Moore with Elixirs.

Wow what a difference, they sound really much brighter, clearer and even louder than the Ernie Balls.

So I think I am converted, hopefully they live up to their reputatiopn for lasting longer too.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Better to live one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zen
Jan 9 2010, 02:47 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'm a d'addario fan but used elixir for the first time this month .. I like it too smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 9 2010, 03:10 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Boson @ Jan 9 2010, 02:43 PM) *
So I think I am converted, hopefully they live up to their reputatiopn for lasting longer too.

You can bet they last longer! That's the reason I only use elixirs ever since I tried them, other strings become rusty in a week or so, these ones are always shiny smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 9 2010, 03:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
I don't have a corrosive sweat so my strings never turn black, even when staying on for months!

I tried every brand I could get my hands onto and I like Ernie Ball because they just sound the best. EB scream and have a rockier tone while Elixir sounds cold to me, Dean Markley breaks easily, GHS are just cheap in every way and daddario sounds dull...

Also there are coated Ernie Ball Strings available since last year! They are coated like the Elixir Strings but sound like Ernie Balls!
(I don't like the feel of coated strings, I want raw metal at my fingers, not plastic!)

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Jan 9 2010, 03:20 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 9 2010, 04:27 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 9 2010, 03:19 PM) *
I don't have a corrosive sweat so my strings never turn black, even when staying on for months!

I tried every brand I could get my hands onto and I like Ernie Ball because they just sound the best. EB scream and have a rockier tone while Elixir sounds cold to me, Dean Markley breaks easily, GHS are just cheap in every way and daddario sounds dull...

Also there are coated Ernie Ball Strings available since last year! They are coated like the Elixir Strings but sound like Ernie Balls!
(I don't like the feel of coated strings, I want raw metal at my fingers, not plastic!)

You... stole... my... post...! laugh.gif
This is pretty much what I was gonna say laugh.gif

When they stopped selling Snarling Dogs strings in Norway, years ago, I've always been with Ernie Ball smile.gif

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 9 2010, 04:28 PM
Instructor
I tried everything that Zakk mentioned. I am also staying with my Ernie Ball hybrid slinky. They don't last as long as elixir but surely produce the best sound.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 9 2010, 04:47 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jan 9 2010, 04:27 PM) *
You... stole... my... post...! laugh.gif
This is pretty much what I was gonna say laugh.gif

Nahh I was just reading your mind ph34r.gif

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 9 2010, 04:56 PM
Instructor
I played EB, DM, GHS strings for some shorter periods of time, like 6-7 months roughly for each brand, and tried 3 sets of Elixirs one after another, didn't like it that much. They do stay clean, but there are intonation problems that come from streching, and denting the coating on the frets etc, they don't last that long (but ithey do last a longer than regular strings). There are other factors that will influence the duration of the set like: way of playing, style of music, type of sweat, type of frets, type of pick, frequency of use etc, keep that in mind.
For me, if I had to choose between the expensive Elixirs and Daddarios (that cost half of the Elixir price), I would choose (and use) Daddario. They almost never break, have a nice open brilliant sound, and I change two sets instead of keeping on Elixir for 2-3 weeks. Installing one fresh set every week or two weeks depending on the gigs keeps me safe and strings are new and more open sounding anyway (for the same price).

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
rrf
Jan 9 2010, 05:15 PM
GMC:er
Gotta try some elixirs some day =)

--------------------
Ruben Oliveira (ruben_mcn)

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 9 2010, 06:43 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 9 2010, 04:47 PM) *
Nahh I was just reading your mind ph34r.gif

*Yikes* ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Boson
Jan 9 2010, 07:22 PM
I was reading about The Edge of U2. On their current tour he uses 24 different guitars on stage at each gig and insists on new strings on each for every gig.

Must keep his guitar tech busy!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 10 2010, 01:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Boson @ Jan 9 2010, 07:22 PM) *
I was reading about The Edge of U2. On their current tour he uses 24 different guitars on stage at each gig and insists on new strings on each for every gig.

I dig that. Playing in a famous band that performs in front of thousands of people in the audience is not a joke, everything needs to be perfect. 24 guitars on the other hand is a bit too much for me, but hey, somebody loves lots of guitars smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 10 2010, 03:56 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 10 2010, 01:22 AM) *
I dig that. Playing in a famous band that performs in front of thousands of people in the audience is not a joke, everything needs to be perfect. 24 guitars on the other hand is a bit too much for me, but hey, somebody loves lots of guitars smile.gif

I agree smile.gif

...although 2 - 3 guitars would do it for me biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 10 2010, 02:43 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I love when I try the new brand of strings and they show up great! wink.gif I need to yet try elixirs on my basses...I'm currently experimenting with DR strings.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Jan 10 2010, 03:00 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Boson @ Jan 9 2010, 07:22 PM) *

He got a back-up for the back-up of his back-up guitars?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Frederik
Jan 10 2010, 03:05 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
any recommendations for acoustic (western) strings?

for dreadnought body no cutaways.. dont know if that has influence on the strings

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 10 2010, 03:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jan 10 2010, 03:56 AM) *
I agree smile.gif

...although 2 - 3 guitars would do it for me biggrin.gif

Yeah, 2-3 guitars sounds right to me as well, 24 is a bit scary biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 10 2010, 04:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm an Ernie Ball man myself. For me they seem to last perfectly long and doesn't get sweatened up (but that might just be down to me and not the strings...).

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Boson
Jan 10 2010, 04:58 PM
QUOTE (djohnneay @ Jan 10 2010, 03:00 PM) *
He got a back-up for the back-up of his back-up guitars?

He says each sounds different and he says that evey great guitar inspires a song.

This is the opposite approach to Kieth Richards who says give him any guitar and within 5mins it will sound like Kieth Richards!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Jan 11 2010, 02:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Boson @ Jan 9 2010, 10:43 AM) *
I'm no expert having only played seriously for 16 months.

I have been using Ernie Ball 009's since I started with guitar again in sept 2009. I have replaced them reasonably regularly every month or two.

However I have found that the top E string does not last to well, becoming dull with no sustain. I have been concerned about this thinking it must be the guitar but I found the same happened whichever guitar I put them on.

So today I decided upon a change and have just restrung my Brian Moore with Elixirs.

Wow what a difference, they sound really much brighter, clearer and even louder than the Ernie Balls.

I´m also an EB's guy, use same brand since 5/6 years. I think you could also try to change from 009 to 010. you´ll get more timelife for your string. also keep the strings clean after every practice or gig.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:04 AM