Tip Of The Day #3, Bogdan
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 21 2008, 11:04 PM
Moderation Policy Director
During a live show focus on what you are playing rather on all the people around you. If you make a mistake just make a short pause in playing when that happens (on bass) and focus on the next note you need to play..Don't "look" behind.

Some good advice - what do other instructors do to recover from their mistakes?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 22 2008, 09:23 AM
GMC Founder
Great tip - having a strategy for this kind of scenario is very important. I usually just keep playing, and pretend like nothing happened...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 22 2008, 09:49 AM
Instructor
Staying focused on stage is very important, especially when you make mistake. Lot of people can then panic and even stop the song, but that is not a way to go. It is important to stop for a second, see what's going on, and start playing as fast as possible. If the rest of the band continues playing it will not be such a bad deal in the end - it would be much worse if the whole band stopped and finished a show in the middle of a song.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Apr 22 2008, 12:02 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
If you make a mistake, as Kris said pretend like nothing happened, if you pull a face and grimace at your mistake everyone will know, I`ve seen people turn around and pretend to twiddle a nob on their amp as if that was to blame or something laugh.gif

Your bound to make the odd slip now n then, its normal just dont panic and join back in as quickly as possible, but dont try and "catch up" better not to play maybe the next chord for a split second and come back in on time and in the correct place.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 22 2008, 12:07 PM
Instructor
Really good tip!

Whenever i do a mistake, i just shake a fist at the drummer wink.gif

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Apr 22 2008, 12:07 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 22 2008, 01:03 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Yep, most people won't even notice - but they will if you panic and keep messing up!

Of course preparation and practice will mimimise the chances of this happening, but it will happen to everyone, guaranteed, at some point, so, how you deal with it is part of your onstage skill set smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 22 2008, 02:15 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Apr 22 2008, 01:07 PM) *
Really good tip!

heeheh thats a great tip smile.gif

When I'm going to do a live show I just try to practice and go through songs once again the best I can at home, day before the gig or earlier..Than I feel more confident knowing that I did my best , so when the gig comes everything is left for the moment (mistakes included) smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Apr 23 2008, 10:26 AM
Instructor
Really nice tip, a real tip! The most people are not musicians, so they won't be able to notice the mistake.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 23 2008, 11:04 PM
Singing Instructor
great tip Bole,it goes to all instruments and vocal of course.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 23 2008, 11:12 PM
QUOTE (Nemanja Filipovic @ Apr 24 2008, 12:04 AM) *
great tip Bole,it goes to all instruments and vocal of course.

Do you ever mix up lyrics and how do you recover from that ?
I remember learning songs by heart in primary school , don't think its easy to rewind and fast forward lyrics in my mind smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 23 2008, 11:22 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Apr 24 2008, 12:12 AM) *
Do you ever mix up lyrics and how do you recover from that ?
I remember learning songs by heart in primary school , don't think its easy to rewind and fast forward lyrics in my mind smile.gif

well, one time i did,but I did recover fast...But it is diferent when you wright the lyrics,and when you have to learn some one else lyrics....
and best recover is to go on with the made up lyrics,until you remembere.smile.gif

This post has been edited by Nemanja Filipovic: Apr 23 2008, 11:23 PM

--------------------

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 23 2008, 11:28 PM
Hmm another question for guitar players , do you ever black out on stage ? When you loose concentration and can't remember which chord goes next ? smile.gif It happened to me once , and I recovered by not thinking about it at all - just let the fingers pull it out from muscle memory smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 24 2008, 12:46 AM
Instructor
Well, one time a pair of panties came flying on stage and I just had to make a mistake in order to avoid it laugh.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 25 2008, 11:44 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Apr 24 2008, 12:28 AM) *
Hmm another question for guitar players , do you ever black out on stage ? When you loose concentration and can't remember which chord goes next ? smile.gif It happened to me once , and I recovered by not thinking about it at all - just let the fingers pull it out from muscle memory smile.gif

Hehe, it happens to me as soon as I start to think about what the hell I am playing in the moment, I will start to play wrong chords immediately tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 25 2008, 01:03 PM
Instructor
Worst thing is to stop after mistake!!

If you make mistake..then make few more,arrange it like a joke or som and go on. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 25 2008, 01:15 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Apr 22 2008, 11:07 AM) *
Really good tip!

laugh.gif I'd like to extend this to anything that goes wrong in life - just shake a fist at your drummer! It's always his/her fault! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
Apr 25 2008, 01:28 PM
Acoustic Instructor
sad.gif
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 25 2008, 06:15 PM) *
laugh.gif I'd like to extend this to anything that goes wrong in life - just shake a fist at your drummer! It's always his/her fault! laugh.gif

Great tip.
Usually I smile with the drummer whenever I do a misatke,
But Now I've got a smart way laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:48 PM