Learning Chords
smolgaard
Sep 28 2009, 03:55 PM
GMC:er
Hi all at GMC

I have a question about leaning chords.
What is the best way ?

I maen i can just sit down and play a lot of chords for 3 hours but then i really dont know what to do with them.

And what chords shoud i learn, all of the main chords like 7, maj7, m7, 9, 6 11, m11, 13 etc. or should i learn some different vocings of some nice chords ?

Stefan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chokehold
Sep 28 2009, 04:00 PM
When I learn chords I just learn one and then play it from the E string, then the A and then D, and learn how to baré it so I can play it wherever I want on the fretboard. If you play one chord whenever you pick the guitar up in about a week you should know it. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Hellraiser C-7, Epiphone SG, Some old fake Strat, and an acoustic of unknown brand.
Amp: Marshall MG 30DFX.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 28 2009, 04:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
What I would suggest, though I don't know if it's the best way:

For me it was all really just a matter of learning the shape of the chords. Once you've learned the shape of the chords you can start to move fluently in relation to the fact that the shapes are all the same, but the notes change. I think, if I had to go about it again, I would start by learning the shapes of the major and minor chords, then learn major and minor 7th shape, then onwards...

Of course, this is not in relation to keys, modes etc. at all, which is a nice addition to it all, but if you just want to learn chords, for me it's all about the shapes then.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 28 2009, 04:37 PM
Instructor
I learned chords through songs. That seemed the best way at the time for me. As soon as I learned CAGED system, my whole chord knowledge made immediate sense. If you haven't started learning chords, I would definitely advise to go with CAGED system for chords (both major and minor shapes).

--------------------

+Quote Post
smolgaard
Sep 28 2009, 04:59 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 28 2009, 05:37 PM) *
I learned chords through songs. That seemed the best way at the time for me. As soon as I learned CAGED system, my whole chord knowledge made immediate sense. If you haven't started learning chords, I would definitely advise to go with CAGED system for chords (both major and minor shapes).

Its not that i dont know the CAGDE sytem or somthing like that, i know a lot for chords, but still need 13, 11, 6 etc chords and its gonna be hard to memorize them all biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 28 2009, 05:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (smolgaard @ Sep 28 2009, 05:59 PM) *
Its not that i dont know the CAGDE sytem or somthing like that, i know a lot for chords, but still need 13, 11, 6 etc chords and its gonna be hard to memorize them all biggrin.gif

If you learn CAGED system you will see that all the other chords are just extensions of basic 5 chord shapes. In other words, you will just add tensions to the chord within the actual position where you play regular chord. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 28 2009, 09:47 PM
Instructor
Check out my chord workshop lessons, soon to be updated with more lessons, I hope they will help you:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/chords...1-chord-basics/

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
empantheboy
Sep 28 2009, 10:13 PM
I have tried to understand the CAGED system but i can´t...
Is it too hard or can you try to tell me what it is?

I have tried to understand the CAGED system but i can´t...
Is it too hard or can you try to tell me what it is?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:26 PM