2 Pages V   1 2 >  
What Do You Consider Minimum Shredding Speed?
fkalich
Aug 22 2007, 04:26 AM
GMC:er
I feel that 170bpm. It seems to me that at 170 things change. I mean 16th notes at 170.

I really think that is fast enough. I am going to try and perfect that speed before I move on. It seems to me if you play at 170, well that is fast, and at that point, you should focus on perfect playing, rather than pushing more speed.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 22 2007, 04:44 AM
Instructor
Yeah that speed is pretty good for start!

I keep to lower tempo as i always play stuff in 6-tuplets which actually makes things sound faster...well, not only sound - it's actually faster biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 22 2007, 04:44 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Thats hard to say, because imagine 32nd notes at 150 bpm, thats still fast, so i guess it depends on what notes your playing, 16th or 32nd, and at what tempo. like for 16th notes, at "X" Tempo, its shred, and for 32nd notes at "Y" tempo its shred, if that makes any sense.

I think you just know it when you hear it.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Aug 22 2007, 06:48 AM
Yea its pritty Simple, I think the tempo matters more than the notes.. a song at like an 80 tempo.. even 32nd notes aren't that fast.. so i think playing a song at like a 200+ tempo even playing like quarternotes is still 800bpm which is still fast.

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Aug 22 2007, 07:01 AM
would chromatic scale be good for trying to speed up 16ths all way up and down neck?

--------------------

+Quote Post
browq
Aug 22 2007, 07:58 AM
Absolutely Hemlok

I also use the cromatic scale as a part of my daily exercise on speedpicking. I use the exercises from the John Petrucci "rock dicipline" dvd. It's great for synchronizing both your right and left hand and your accuracy as well as speed

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 22 2007, 11:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 22 2007, 05:26 AM) *
I feel that 170bpm. It seems to me that at 170 things change. I mean 16th notes at 170.

I really think that is fast enough. I am going to try and perfect that speed before I move on. It seems to me if you play at 170, well that is fast, and at that point, you should focus on perfect playing, rather than pushing more speed.

Mate,are you serious with this???

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 22 2007, 12:39 PM
QUOTE (muris @ Aug 22 2007, 05:50 AM) *
Mate,are you serious with this???

Well yes, I don't understand why it would not seem that way. I have moved it up to 180 anyway as my practicing speed. I have been sort of obsessed with being able to play Canon Rock as well as JerryC by Sep 11, which is the one year anniversary of my starting guitar. Also 911 coincidentally. That is at 200bpm. My saving grace is that JerryC is a bit sloppy. I was trying to talk myself into feeling that playing it well at 170 or 180 was sufficient, but no, that would make me a total weenie. No, it must be 200, and I must have it by 911, or I am a total loser. There, the die is cast, either I do it, or I become an object of ridicule to anyone who reads this thread.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 22 2007, 07:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 22 2007, 01:39 PM) *
Well yes, I don't understand why it would not seem that way. I have moved it up to 180 anyway as my practicing speed. I have been sort of obsessed with being able to play Canon Rock as well as JerryC by Sep 11, which is the one year anniversary of my starting guitar. Also 911 coincidentally. That is at 200bpm. My saving grace is that JerryC is a bit sloppy. I was trying to talk myself into feeling that playing it well at 170 or 180 was sufficient, but no, that would make me a total weenie. No, it must be 200, and I must have it by 911, or I am a total loser. There, the die is cast, either I do it, or I become an object of ridicule to anyone who reads this thread.

I see smile.gif
Just wanted to say that counting the notes this way is not about music,
it's not even about shred imo.
I would call shred a matter of difficulty,not only of speed.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
lespaulrocker
Aug 23 2007, 05:35 AM
well, like most of us have said, it is more a matter of what kind of notes you are playing that sets if a song is fast or not. 200 BPM with all half notes is the same as 100 BPM with quarter notes (i think smile.gif)

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 23 2007, 05:42 AM
QUOTE (muris @ Aug 22 2007, 02:20 PM) *
I see smile.gif

Well said smile.gif
Thats exactly why i love most shred,because the difficulty of technique,speed ,acuracy,picking ,finger movment everything.Thats what makes it great to me because i feel if you can play shred you have the ability to do it all. smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 23 2007, 07:57 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (muris @ Aug 22 2007, 12:20 PM) *
I see smile.gif

There's hope for me yet then smile.gif . I find everything difficult and so play as slowly as possible biggrin.gif .

More seriously - didn't someone like Miles Davis once say that it's not how many notes you play, not even what notes you play but the ones you miss out that count?

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 23 2007, 10:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 23 2007, 08:57 AM) *
There's hope for me yet then smile.gif . I find everything difficult and so play as slowly as possible biggrin.gif .

More seriously - didn't someone like Miles Davis once say that it's not how many notes you play, not even what notes you play but the ones you miss out that count?

Cheers,
Tony

Ahhh...golden words of Miles Tony,thanks for bringing it up again!!! smile.gif
Big true,hardest task is to choose notes NOT to be played wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Rawk on
Aug 30 2007, 06:58 AM
Rather than just sheer speed, remember to work on your phrasing and pacing as well.
A computer can pump out fast and accurate notes if you program it to, but where's the personality in that?
It just comes off forced and emotionless.

I dig players like Muris because he can kick out the speed when he wants to, but he's multi-dimensional in his playing, it's not all about tricks and technique. He actually has something to say with his solo.

B.B. King can say more with 2 well-placed notes than a lot of shredders can with 200.

BTW, I am not anti-shred, I just get a little bored with technique for technique's sake.

+Quote Post
Josiah
Nov 6 2007, 04:34 AM
Some consider shred a style, I rather think of it as a technique instead. The technique of playing a passage so fast that the ear/brain starts to perceive it as an "aural blur" of notes. There does seem to be a threshold speed at which this effect is perceived by most people.

However, you can not really quantify "120 bpm" or "200 bpm" unless you also include the note size you are playing.

Therefore, I suggest we use NPS (notes per second) instead of BPM.

For instance, I feel that at about 10 NPS fast playing starts to become shredding. Very fast players can achieve a speeds of 16 NPS! (playing sixteenth note triplets at 160 bpm)

You can find your own NPS with this formula;

(beats per minute x notes per beat) / 60 = notes per second

Another easy way to determine your NPS, is to play sixteenth note triplets , notice the bpm your playing at, and then divide the bpm by 10 (this only works when playing sixteenth note triplets).

Also, the speed you measure will vary with the technique used and the pattern played.
For instance most people can alternate pick a 3 note per string pattern scale faster than a 2 note per string scale pattern. And whether you are using legato, alternate picking, economy picking or sweep picking will have a big impact on how fast you can play a certain passage also.

So if I say I can alternate pick a 3 note per string major scale at 10 NPS, and I can alternate pick a 2 note per string pentatonic scale at 9 NPS, you could compare your own speed with this easily.

This post has been edited by Josiah: Nov 6 2007, 04:35 AM

--------------------
Good Luck be with you,
Josiah

+Quote Post
Ryan
Nov 6 2007, 04:41 AM
QUOTE (Josiah @ Nov 5 2007, 09:34 PM) *
Some consider shred a style, I rather think of it as a technique instead. The technique of playing a passage so fast that the ear/brain starts to perceive it as an "aural blur" of notes. There does seem to be a threshold speed at which this effect is perceived by most people.

However, you can not really quantify "120 bpm" or "200 bpm" unless you also include the note size you are playing.

Therefore, I suggest we use NPS (notes per second) instead of BPM.

For instance, I feel that at about 10 NPS fast playing starts to become shredding. Very fast players can achieve a speeds of 16 NPS! (playing sixteenth note triplets at 160 bpm)

You can find your own NPS with this formula;

Another easy way to determine your NPS, is to play sixteenth note triplets , notice the bpm your playing at, and then divide the bpm by 10 (this only works when playing sixteenth note triplets).
Also, the speed you measure will vary with the technique used and the pattern played.
For instance most people can alternate pick a 3 note per string pattern scale faster than a 2 note per string scale pattern. And whether you are using legato, alternate picking, economy picking or sweep picking will have a big impact on how fast you can play a certain passage also.

So if I say I can alternate pick a 3 note per string major scale at 10 NPS, and I can alternate pick a 2 note per string pentatonic scale at 9 NPS, you could compare your own speed with this easily.

wow, I did that little formula you did. I just found out. That I have played 12nps before!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Man0waR
Nov 13 2007, 12:43 PM
I told myself I won't barge in this thread , but even thought momentarily I'm not interested in building speed yet [given I'm still an almost complete beginner] - I've bothered to practice some simple shapes and player-friendly scales like minor pentatonic with the metronome lately. Indeed [and it's pretty obvious] at least for beginners and intermediate players - some shapes are twice as difficult to play at half the speed you can play the easy parts.

I'm managing the really easy stuff at 7nps at the moment. I suppose that's ok right now , given I still have some time before I can get to an intermediate level of playing.

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Nov 13 2007, 01:12 PM
Psh, 16 NPS is nothing. Shred starts at 732.12 NPS.

+Quote Post
jammer91
Nov 14 2007, 10:25 PM
Woah! 16th notes at 170 bpm? A minimum?

I must really suck bad. I can play triplets at 160 bpm (truplets at 100) even after practicing hard. I think thats enough speed to shred.

I use this metronome:
http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Please tell me its rigged.

How long did it take you to jump into that speed?

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Dec 22 2007, 07:38 AM
QUOTE (Josiah @ Nov 6 2007, 04:34 PM) *

This helped a lot. Thanks man. Right now I can play 16th chromatic notes at 100 BPM which is 6 2/3 NPS. dry.gif My goal is 140 BPM.

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:33 PM