Steve Wilson
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 19 2011, 01:51 AM
Instructor
Hey guys! I would like to talk a bit about this awesome composer, singer and guitar player called Steve Wilson. He has many projects and the main one is Porcupine Tree... do you know him? do you like his music?

You can post here your favourite songs by him.. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 19 2011, 02:45 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Amazing producer and songwriter, recently he has dropped off my radar a bit but his music is truly something unique.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Sep 19 2011, 02:51 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Porcupine Tree is one of my favorite bands, I have seen them live three times. They're of the best modern bands, and their music covers a lot of ground, which is what I want to do with my music.

This is the first song of theirs that I heard back in '04 or '05 I believe. It was played on the radio in the Boston area by a DJ that was known for playing obscure bands. I was listening to it on the way to work, and sat in the car till it finished, and thereby was late for my shift biggrin.gif

This song has everything I want in a song: heavy guitars, clean vocals, clean strumming, melody, and trippy ethereal sounds. Check out their album "In Absentia" and "Deadwing", theres a very good chance it will move you as much as it moved me wink.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 19 2011, 03:37 AM
GMC:er
didn't knew him D:

thanks for sharing him!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Sep 19 2011, 05:51 AM
Instructor
that's great music man, never heard it before, youtubing it now.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 19 2011, 07:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Sep 18 2011, 10:51 PM) *
Porcupine Tree is one of my favorite bands, I have seen them live three times. They're of the best modern bands, and their music covers a lot of ground, which is what I want to do with my music.

This is the first song of theirs that I heard back in '04 or '05 I believe. It was played on the radio in the Boston area by a DJ that was known for playing obscure bands. I was listening to it on the way to work, and sat in the car till it finished, and thereby was late for my shift biggrin.gif

This song has everything I want in a song: heavy guitars, clean vocals, clean strumming, melody, and trippy ethereal sounds. Check out their album "In Absentia" and "Deadwing", theres a very good chance it will move you as much as it moved me wink.gif

I knew them thanks to this video...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Sep 19 2011, 10:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 19 2011, 02:51 AM) *
Hey guys! I would like to talk a bit about this awesome composer, singer and guitar player called Steve Wilson. He has many projects and the main one is Porcupine Tree... do you know him? do you like his music?

You can post here your favourite songs by him.. smile.gif

Never heard it before ! So psychotic, this hardly you can watch straight blink.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 20 2011, 02:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Sep 19 2011, 06:03 PM) *
Never heard it before ! So psychotic, this hardly you can watch straight blink.gif biggrin.gif

hahah yes, and this is his other project...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Sep 20 2011, 04:15 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 19 2011, 02:07 AM) *
I knew them thanks to this video...

This song is off the album "In Absentia" . definitely check it out biggrin.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 20 2011, 08:02 PM
Instructor
Very nice vintage style video production. I like the songs too, the arrangements are great. Thanks for sharing Gab.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
TesttubeMammoth
Sep 20 2011, 09:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Sep 19 2011, 05:51 AM) *
that's great music man, never heard it before, youtubing it now.

Hey man,

They are awesome, check out the In Abesntia album and Fear of a Blank Planet.
The drummer Gavin Harrison (drummer) has written a book called Rhythmic Illusions which discusses how to create rhythms that fool your audience into thinking they are hearing a piece in a certain time signature and then suddenly throwing them into another. It is a really useful technique, sort of musical smoke and mirrors smile.gif Bands like Meshuggah use techniques like this a lot.

When I first discovered them a few years ago I was listening to them non stop for several weeks, I have like 36 discs of theirs now from about 1991 to the present.
Steve Wilson has also done some solo stuff, an album called Insurgentes and I think there's a new one coming out this autumn.

We went to see them at the local university last time they came to this town and they were immense! It was a tour just after they had released Fear of a Blank Planet and they had some really cool visual stuff going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW3Y_YvP_jw...feature=related

I am sooo enthusiastic about Porcupine Tree, they seem to have just the right level of technical flare and listenability - their songs are so well crafted and you know, the lyrics are thoughtful and inspiring. Arriving somewhere but not here is probaly one of their best tunes, along with Trains.
In short, this band is full of well thought out and expressive win.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
be excellent to each other

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 21 2011, 08:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Sep 20 2011, 12:15 AM) *
This song is off the album "In Absentia" . definitely check it out biggrin.gif

yeah! that's the first album that I got and I love it! It's my favourite from Steve and Porcupine. smile.gif

QUOTE (TesttubeMammoth @ Sep 20 2011, 05:36 PM) *
Hey man,

They are awesome, check out the In Abesntia album and Fear of a Blank Planet.
The drummer Gavin Harrison (drummer) has written a book called Rhythmic Illusions which discusses how to create rhythms that fool your audience into thinking they are hearing a piece in a certain time signature and then suddenly throwing them into another. It is a really useful technique, sort of musical smoke and mirrors smile.gif Bands like Meshuggah use techniques like this a lot.

When I first discovered them a few years ago I was listening to them non stop for several weeks, I have like 36 discs of theirs now from about 1991 to the present.
Steve Wilson has also done some solo stuff, an album called Insurgentes and I think there's a new one coming out this autumn.

We went to see them at the local university last time they came to this town and they were immense! It was a tour just after they had released Fear of a Blank Planet and they had some really cool visual stuff going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW3Y_YvP_jw...feature=related

I am sooo enthusiastic about Porcupine Tree, they seem to have just the right level of technical flare and listenability - their songs are so well crafted and you know, the lyrics are thoughtful and inspiring. Arriving somewhere but not here is probaly one of their best tunes, along with Trains.
In short, this band is full of well thought out and expressive win.

biggrin.gif

yeah man! they always compose beautiful music which is complex but you can hear it without noting it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 23 2011, 10:42 PM
Instructor
He's doing a collab with Mikael from Opeth, or he did it already. I didn't know he was the man behind porcupine tree

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 24 2011, 02:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Sep 23 2011, 06:42 PM) *
He's doing a collab with Mikael from Opeth, or he did it already. I didn't know he was the man behind porcupine tree

really? that's a great combination! I'll check it!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:52 AM