> What's Your Problem!, Yeah, You
shellshock1911
post Jan 2 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.414

QUOTE (Freddie Fourfingers @ Jan 2 2008, 01:06 PM) *
Me, too. I have managed to create a very organized routine that takes about 5 hours per day to do. Even though I spread it out, I think I just have too much technique stuff in there.....scales, chord scales, scale patterns, sight reading exercises, endurance and picking exercises.....and so on. When I look at it overall, I barely have any time for songs or improvisation.....so naturally I stink at both. But I can play some really nice Eb Major scale pattern studies for you, woo hoo!

So I've decided to pare down the technique stuff and increase the more funner stuff...try to use songs as some of the technique practice/ speed practice.........start slow and increase BPM on a song. I'm going to use GP5 for that, too.

And, I'm going to STOP BUYING TONS OF INSTRUCTIONAL STUFF, at least for a while.

Hmmmmmm....maybe it's time to just practice the stuff that I DO have.

You live in Georgia? So do I, Columbus. What about you?

Anway I'm virtually the exact same on all points. I hear this stuff about how a practice schedule is important to have, so I make one. But when you are doing the same thing day, after day, after day, it makes you lost motiviations quick, so I think it is better to vary it up. And I know a ridiculous amount of theory but am having a hard time incorporating or applying it to my playing. I just keep telling myself that I have only been playing for 1 year, and in 30 years, I will inevitably good, so I try to take my time.

I buy a ton of instructional stuff as well lol. I used to have a 1.5 hour class where all the teacher did was make everybody take notes all day, then at the end of the notes, she would read the test questions off word for word and give us the answers. Needless to say, there was no note copying for me, I just studied up on theory and memorized random stuff everyday, then got all the answers and made 100s on tests, she never said a word.

Check out all the instructional stuff I bought last week alone. I have more coming in and I practice GMC like 4 hours a day, nothing else to do.

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Jan 2 2008, 08:03 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Jan 2 2008, 08:26 PM
Post #22

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.001

Some fantastic books there!! I bought a few myself but one look at them and it put me of learning - and I have some high quality books.

I guess thats why GMC is so effective - it makes learning FUN !! biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Jan 2 2008, 08:31 PM
Post #23

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2.159

On the topic's start,
if you're pure beginner than no need to be worried a lot if you alternate picking isn't that great,
I was beginner too and I know what you're speaking of wink.gif
Just practice,it'll come nicely,trust me. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
post Jan 2 2008, 08:42 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 2 2008, 08:26 PM) *
Some fantastic books there!! I bought a few myself but one look at them and it put me of learning - and I have some high quality books.

I guess thats why GMC is so effective - it makes learning FUN !! biggrin.gif

The reason I got all those books is because, well 3 of them are just pure reference encyclopedia with tons scale, mode, chord, and arpeggios in them. I could probably do without the jazz and blues guitar one because most of the stuff in them is basically in GMC already. The Ear-Training and Sight-Reading books are good because it comes with a CD that allows you to hear intervals, chords, etc and has quizes; I can already read music but that book I got is basically just an exercise book to where I can build up to sight-reading.

The Fretboard Knowledge one is the best though. It teaches you all kinds of weird ways to remember all the notes like Warped W and recognize repetitive patterns thoughout the fretboard that I've never seen anywhere except in the book. Most teaching methods teach scale learning in the "box" method. This book does the "cell" method, I'll have to share it someday with you guys.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
post Jan 2 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #25

Group: Passive
Member No.: 2.062

my biggest problem right now is theory!! Although i love reading Andrews lessons, it takes a while for me to figure out things, nevertheless i love reading the lessons, studying and learning more! wink.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Jan 2 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #26

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.001

Those books sounds great!! Which one would you recommened for a scale / arpeggio etc refrence? smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
post Jan 2 2008, 08:47 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jan 2 2008, 08:44 PM) *
my biggest problem right now is theory!! Although i love reading Andrews lessons, it takes a while for me to figure out things, nevertheless i love reading the lessons, studying and learning more! wink.gif

Theory used to be really hard for me and is still really hard for my friend who I am trying to teach.

I found that once you fully understand intervals and basic chord construction like R, 3, 5, the rest is soooooooo easy. People said modes were gonna be hard, they were a joke.

--------------------

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
post Jan 2 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 2 2008, 08:44 PM) *
Those books sounds great!! Which one would you recommened for a scale / arpeggio etc refrence? smile.gif

I have the scale/mode version of Guitar Grimoire, there is other volumes for chords/arpeggios. The one on progressions and improvisation is coming in the mail soon but anyway, yea the Guitar Grimoire is great. It gives you all kinds of stuff like

Quick Mode Generator, which tells you what note you would need to start if you want to play in a certain mode (all keys)

It gives you formulas for every scale you could ever imagine, Western and Eastern music. There is all kinds of weird scales in here like Egyptian, Japanese, Persian, Kumoi, etc. It also gives you the formula for every mode within that key.
This one is major scale

It tells you what chords the scales work over, every scale you could possibly imagine and mode as well.

It gives you formulas for every chord you could ever imagine.

And lastly what would scale book be without charts for EVERY scale EVER. All boxes in all keys.

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Jan 3 2008, 01:28 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Jan 2 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #29

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.341

My problem is that I sometimes don't have enough time to practice sad.gif It really makes me sad.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SLASH91
post Jan 3 2008, 01:16 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 2.019

Theory is my biggest problem too. I just can't make myself sit down and read any of it sad.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends" -
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
post Jan 3 2008, 01:19 AM
Post #31

Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.304

8 finger tapping, its just so damn hard, im satisfied for now with all the other techniques, but 8 finger tapping.

+Quote Post
skennington
post Jan 3 2008, 01:30 AM
Post #32

Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.374

QUOTE (Muris @ Jan 2 2008, 02:31 PM) *
On the topic's start,
if you're pure beginner than no need to be worried a lot if you alternate picking isn't that great,
I was beginner too and I know what you're speaking of wink.gif
Just practice,it'll come nicely,trust me. smile.gif

I'm gonna trust ya Muris. I'll just keep pluging away at it.
Nice to see ( or maybe not tongue.gif ) other problems out there with everyones playing. It helps me to focus a little more on the ones that I have knowing you guys are working hard. Keep it up everybody! wink.gif

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 2 2008, 02:44 PM) *

Hey Matt, What about that fish! ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
post Jan 3 2008, 01:32 AM
Post #33

Actually after reading all these replies I know what my biggest problem is. It is that I can't concentrate on something for more than five minutes if I'm not making progress. That is why I like learning theory so much because the learning progress is easily seen and comes extremely fast for me. Ear trainers are boring though, I can't grasp those either.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SLASH91
post Jan 3 2008, 01:34 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 2.019

QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Jan 2 2008, 06:32 PM) *
Actually after reading all these replies I know what my biggest problem is. It is that I can't concentrate on something for more than five minutes if I'm not making progress. That is why I like learning theory so much because the learning progress is easily seen and comes extremely fast for me. Ear trainers are boring though, I can't grasp those either.

Yeah, I used to be like that too. If I couldn't learn a song in 10 minutes, I would just give up and go on to something else. I'm really glad that I found GMC.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends" -
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
post Jan 3 2008, 04:01 AM
Post #35

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 2.159

QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Jan 3 2008, 01:32 AM) *

Ear training is a must,perhaps you don't need a trainer but yourself wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
post Jan 3 2008, 04:36 AM
Post #36

Group Icon

Group: GMC Wiki:er
Member No.: 1.697

Theory is my problem too.. i know nothing and when i see these lessions.. i learn to play them but i never learn why they sound like that.. and therefore i can't recreate riffs of my own like them sad.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Freddie Fourfing...
post Jan 3 2008, 04:43 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 3.273

Ten finger tapping is a pain...............and I guess 11 finger tapping is gonna be a nightmare!
Just wait til the toes get involved!!!!!! tongue.gif

--------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit."
ARISTOTLE

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
post Jan 3 2008, 04:45 AM
Post #38

QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jan 3 2008, 04:36 AM) *
Theory is my problem too.. i know nothing and when i see these lessions.. i learn to play them but i never learn why they sound like that.. and therefore i can't recreate riffs of my own like them sad.gif

Pssh theory is SOOO incredibly easy once you understand intervals I promise, at least it was for me.

Basically all of theory= Intervals

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
post Jan 3 2008, 05:07 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 2.541

learning how to sing has been the main thing holding me back. Luciana and her lessons are great but I feel like I need an instructor to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
post Jan 3 2008, 07:22 AM
Post #40

Group: Passive
Member No.: 2.062

QUOTE (Freddie Fourfingers @ Jan 2 2008, 09:43 PM) *
Ten finger tapping is a pain...............and I guess 11 finger tapping is gonna be a nightmare!
Just wait til the toes get involved!!!!!! tongue.gif

lol, is it possible to tap with your thumb? laugh.gif laugh.gif blink.gif blink.gif mellow.gif mellow.gif huh.gif huh.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th March 2017 - 05:06 AM