Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Making Mxr Flanger, in the process, but unsure about some things
Kevin98497
post Jan 4 2008, 08:15 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 810

me and my friend are in the process of making a MXR flanger copy from the instructions we found but and we arent even sure will it work or not ohmy.gif so before i spend around 25 british pounds on the chips (intergrated circuits etc) i would like to ask a few questions to make sure everything so far is right
unsure.gif
1. some of the resisters have slightly different resistance value to the one suggested eg. suggestion-1.4k we put 1.3k does this mean the end product wont work?
2. the capacitor farad values are mostly correct, but the voltage was not instructed so we just chose some 25v,50v and 100v, i read that as long as the voltage is higher than the power source (9V) battery, it will be alright, so will these make a difference?
3. Is there a cheaper alternative from the SAD1024 chip? because it is real expensive costing 20 british pounds!

thanks
kevin
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Jan 4 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #2

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

Hi Kevin,

Resistor values generally vary more than the differences you are talking about within resistors supposedly of the same value, so a 0.1k difference shouldn't matter that much. But be careful you are buying resistors of the correct tolerance. Resistors are usually standard values, if you can;t find one that matches the value you need, it could be because it is from a different tolerance, as the preferred values can vary for different tolerances.

Capacitors of higher value than specified will be fine.

Regarding the chip, I have no idea ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
post Jan 4 2008, 10:47 PM
Post #3

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 810

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jan 4 2008, 09:21 PM) *
Hi Kevin,

Resistor values generally vary more than the differences you are talking about within resistors supposedly of the same value, so a 0.1k difference shouldn't matter that much. But be careful you are buying resistors of the correct tolerance. Resistors are usually standard values, if you can;t find one that matches the value you need, it could be because it is from a different tolerance, as the preferred values can vary for different tolerances.

Capacitors of higher value than specified will be fine.

Regarding the chip, I have no idea ...

thanks andrew smile.gif
all of the tolerence on my resisters are 5% :S hopefully it will work
i will be so annoyed if this dont work haha
oh and i forgot to ask before, are capacitors the same? because i am having to replace a 6.8nf one with a 10nf one and a 51pf one with a 47ph one coz i couldnt find the exact ammount. it will still work right? i mean, are these capacitors that important? would it not just change the tone or something?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Jan 4 2008, 11:06 PM
Post #4

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ Jan 4 2008, 04:47 PM) *
thanks andrew smile.gif
all of the tolerence on my resisters are 5% :S hopefully it will work
i will be so annoyed if this dont work haha
oh and i forgot to ask before, are capacitors the same? because i am having to replace a 6.8nf one with a 10nf one and a 51pf one with a 47ph one coz i couldnt find the exact ammount. it will still work right? i mean, are these capacitors that important? would it not just change the tone or something?

The same general principles apply, 6.8 to 10nf seems like a large jump - thats a 50% higher value and could be significant, but it really depends on the function of the capacitor in the circuit. If the values are off, in that kind of a circuit you might not even notice, worst case, yes it could change the sound a little. Agin though, to be 100% sure you need to look at exactly what the capacitor is doing.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2017 - 08:24 AM