> Writing Metal
BM
post Jan 9 2008, 07:13 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 871

Hey I was wondering,
I am writing songs for an album. My style is based off of Megadeth (Dave Mustaine overall) and I have 2 down. My question is, do I write the riff and then fit the lyrics into it or should I fit the riff into the lyrics? It is easier to do the later but I always find that they seem to all sound alike.

thanks

--------------------
"Baptized in a firefight. Hot blood running cold as ice. 44 minutes of target practice. All hell's breaking loose.
Outgunned. Watching the force come to a firefight with a pocket knife.
Getting schooled until they shot Achilles' heel and brought down the beast."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mark.
post Jan 9 2008, 07:17 PM
Post #2

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.764

Interesting question!
I think creating chords over the lyrics gives more melodie, but is more difficult than creating the chords first. Probaly both ways are fine..

Edit : Sorry Pavel for commenting first

This post has been edited by Mark.: Jan 10 2008, 03:15 PM

+Quote Post
Pavel
post Jan 9 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #3

Instructor

Group: Passive
Member No.: 1.055

QUOTE (BM @ Jan 9 2008, 07:13 PM) *
Hey I was wondering,
I am writing songs for an album. My style is based off of Megadeth (Dave Mustaine overall) and I have 2 down. My question is, do I write the riff and then fit the lyrics into it or should I fit the riff into the lyrics? It is easier to do the later but I always find that they seem to all sound alike.

thanks

There is no rule for that. When i was in a band we were usually first writing music and lyrics came afterwards. Sometimes we did the other way around.

Can't help you with making stuff "same" - it depends on your imagination - i can just advise you not to follow the metal genre that strictly, that way you can put some other style riff in and it will sound totally killer smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 12:47 PM