2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sucking On Guitar
post Jan 19 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #21

Group: Passive
Member No.: 1.055

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jan 13 2008, 01:37 AM) *
I have been playing guitar for 5 years and I really suck in my opinion even though others think I'm pretty good on guitar but mainly songwriting. I can't play any of my favourite songs still and it really makes me want to quit because that is surely one reason to play guitar to be able to play your favourite songs. I'm making steps towards becoming better by 1st joining this awesome resource of lessons and secondly I am having guitar lessons now off of David C Bond off these forums so hopefully he steers me in the right direction. I really want to get faster on guitar to be able to play my favourite songs for example Symphony X songs, Death songs and to be able to solo well.

What I wondered is what solos would you class as building in difficulty between incredibly easy to doable but difficult and if you could give me 10 solos in order of difficulty that are worth learning in popular rock and metal songs. For example Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Derek and the Dominos, Rush etc. I'd be very grateful if you can help me out with this sliding scale of solo difficulty and also if you could tell me what technique lessons help with each song and maybe this can help others improve their soloing. smile.gif

Don't worry about that man! I've been playing for around 6 years and still feel like n00b no matter what people tell me biggrin.gif Just practice and enjoy music - just like Muris said! I'm slowly starting to realize that -> you can't only be focused on PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE - well, you can - but make that PRACTICE more of a MUSIC kind of practice. Let it be technical and all but try to work on music at the same time. That way you'll build up your chops and skills and build a cool sounding lick library smile.gif

That's how i approach my practice now - i play exercises which sound cool so i work on technique and music at the same time smile.gif Try it - might work for you also!

"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jan 19 2008, 10:25 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.592

I have been playing for over 20 years now and I have found that I never feel like I am very good at all. I also find that once I master a song or a technique, I then feel that it must just be an easy song. I think it's a blessing and a curse. This attitude keeps me practicing and improving. I think we are both better than we suspect. Keep at it.

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal
+Quote Post
post Jan 20 2008, 05:51 PM
Post #23

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.904

Yeah I wouldn't really feel that bad about not being able to play Symphony X songs, because lets face it: Michael Romeo is an incredible guitar player. He makes anything look easy.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th October 2016 - 03:12 PM