> Picking Angle Question
311junkie
post Jan 22 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.909

Hey Kris!

I was just watching your Speedpicking 101 Basics video and it stirred up a few questions I had about the picking angle:

1) I've started working on practicing picking at an angle like you recommended in the video, but occasionally when I'm picking on the High E or B string, I won't get a sound, but I can feel the pick contact the string. It seems as if the pick is sliding off the string and not producing any noise. Do you think I may be using too much of an angle? (The pick isn't perpendicular to the string by any means. hehe )

2) Is the picking angle that you use for speedpicking what you normally use for playing the guitar? Until I signed up here at GMC, I thought the pick was supposed to hit the string in a parallel motion, but apparently I was mistaken! smile.gif

I've already seen a significant improvement in my short time as a member of GMC, so I can't thank you enough for all the time and effort you and the other instructors put into creating the lessons.

Thanks a bunch!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Duncan
post Jan 24 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3.904

This is an interesting topic actually to which I also have a question I may as well put in here.

I've been playing guitar for a while now, and recently watched your speeding picking video. You say hit the string with a pick at a 45 degree angle. When I play I find I am hitting the string at a much more acute angle, say 20 degrees. Is it essential to becoming a fast player to use the 45 degree angle?

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
post Feb 12 2008, 12:09 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3.437

I won't get a sound, but I can feel the pick contact the string. It seems as if the pick is sliding off the string and not producing any noise. Do you think I may be using too much of an angle? (The pick isn't perpendicular to the string by any means. hehe )

I have the same problem. Even if I pick with just a slight angle I don't get a constant sound. Maybe somebody could tell something about this ?!?Thanks

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Apr 30 2008, 12:00 PM
Post #4

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (311junkie @ Jan 22 2008, 10:53 PM) *
1) I've started working on practicing picking at an angle like you recommended in the video, but occasionally when I'm picking on the High E or B string, I won't get a sound, but I can feel the pick contact the string. It seems as if the pick is sliding off the string and not producing any noise. Do you think I may be using too much of an angle? (The pick isn't perpendicular to the string by any means. hehe )

2) Is the picking angle that you use for speedpicking what you normally use for playing the guitar? Until I signed up here at GMC, I thought the pick was supposed to hit the string in a parallel motion, but apparently I was mistaken! smile.gif

Sorry for the delay - I missed thhis question as well! sad.gif

1 - Hmm I haven't heard of this before - if you hit the string a little faster, but with the same angle you should be able to get some sound out of it?

2 - No, I only use that angle when speedpicking - or when practcing speedpicking licks at a slow tempo. If I want to play a dynamic blues lick I might use the "paralell" pick strike to get a strong note.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 11:21 PM