Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Drum Help?, I wanna help!
Kyle Logue
post Jan 30 2008, 06:23 PM
Post #1

Drum instructor

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.980

Don't hesitate to ask for help when it comes to creating beats to your riffs. I'm here to help!

I might even make a lesson out of your riff and how I created the beat.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Jan 30 2008, 07:47 PM
Post #2

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

Hi Kyle - your first lesson was awesome!

I have been programming MIDI drum beats for years and know the basics, but I am not approaching it as a drummer would - my biggest problem is creating interesting fills. For example, the fill you used in your first lesson never occured to me, it sounds awesome and would be simple to program - that is an area that really intrerests me, coming up with decent sounding fills.

Even when I use products like EZDrummer and Addictive drums, with their pattern libraries, I find that the fills are all way too flashy - I like fills that push things along and build excitement, and work with the song, I don't want a drum solo every 8 bars.

So, a lesson, or series of lessons on fills would really interest me!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Melvyn
post Jan 30 2008, 07:58 PM
Post #3

GMC:er

Member No.: 4.039

Hai kyle!

That lesson was great, we should collaberate sometime, im a drummer too (recently passed my Grade 8 with a merit)

I was a bit puzzled with your Ekit, it looks alot like a Yamaha Xplorer, i just cant seem to nail it though...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 30 2008, 07:59 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jan 30 2008, 03:47 PM) *
Hi Kyle - your first lesson was awesome!

I have been programming MIDI drum beats for years and know the basics, but I am not approaching it as a drummer would - my biggest problem is creating interesting fills. For example, the fill you used in your first lesson never occured to me, it sounds awesome and would be simple to program - that is an area that really intrerests me, coming up with decent sounding fills.

Even when I use products like EZDrummer and Addictive drums, with their pattern libraries, I find that the fills are all way too flashy - I like fills that push things along and build excitement, and work with the song, I don't want a drum solo every 8 bars.

+1! The same here. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
post Jan 30 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #5

GMC:er

Member No.: 1.770

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jan 30 2008, 12:47 PM) *
I don't want a drum solo every 8 bars.

I second that. I hate when making fills cause like you say its just like, BAM DRUM SOLO, and it's really annoying.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
Kyle Logue
post Jan 30 2008, 08:40 PM
Post #6

Drum instructor

First of all I would highly recommend the program: fruity loops. You'll see it as my lessons become available. There's several pre-made loops included in the program.

A good place to start for playing fills is taking what I've shown you in the first lesson and changing it a little.

instead of a fill with:
snare x4
high tom x2
mid tom x1
low tom x1

Mix it up and replace one of the hits with a hi-hat or with a kick.

I promise lessons are on the way regarding exactly what you're talking about. I have plans of several lessons that just cover different types of fills.

+Quote Post
Kyle Logue
post Jan 30 2008, 08:42 PM
Post #7

Drum instructor

QUOTE (Melvyn @ Jan 30 2008, 12:58 PM) *
Hai kyle!

That lesson was great, we should collaberate sometime, im a drummer too (recently passed my Grade 8 with a merit)

I was a bit puzzled with your Ekit, it looks alot like a Yamaha Xplorer, i just cant seem to nail it though...

My Kit is a Roland TD-6. I tend to like their products.

I'm definitely up for collab's. Hit me up with some ideas and we'll get rolling.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2017 - 08:08 AM