Amp Settings And Environment Change
FretDancer69
Feb 7 2008, 02:57 AM
GMC:er
Hello guys, currently, i have my amp settings really well made and i really like my tone. I practice in a room, but i was wondering if, i play lets say in an open place, with a ceiling, like a basketball court, but no walls, just a ceiling, will my amp still sound the same? or do i need to change my settings?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 7 2008, 03:00 AM
Instructor
It changes A LOT!!

Depends of walls material,size of the room etc.
Per example if you're gonna play in some large hall with glassy walls,
be sure to low down all reverb effects and bass frequencies.
If room is smaller and woody,add some bass and highs,reverb up to taste etc. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
Feb 7 2008, 03:10 AM
Yeah it changes quite a bit. for example a small amp in your bedroom might sound really loud and nice, but put that practice amp outside or in a garage and the tone takes a change for the wimpy sad.gif

just experiment around with it and find something that sounds good to you.

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 7 2008, 03:28 AM
What would you guys recomend for a place like this?

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 7 2008, 03:42 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
This is where you are going to play Crying by the man Joe. I wish you well. Can you get a good sound check to play with your tone? If not maybe just take a boom box (radio) there and put it where you goin to play, turn it on at a good volume. Listen to how the sound changed from when you played it in your room. You will be able to tell if it gets real echoey (prob not a real word. sorry.), or bright and thin etc. Just a thought.

You should have someone record your performance and then post it up on here.

EDIT: After looking at it more (the picture) I would keep my sound dry with a touch of chorus (make it seem bigger and warm) and a tweak of delay. Watch the reverb (turn it way down, just enough to enhance the delay.) it will make your tone muddy, messy with no clarity. That arched roof is going to give you reverb I believe.

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Feb 7 2008, 03:55 AM

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 7 2008, 03:47 AM
yes, the above place is where im probably going to play.

These are my amp settings by the way:

Gain: 9
Treble: 5.5
Mid: 8
Bass:2

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 7 2008, 05:47 PM
Instructor
I can tell you anything specific because I don't know your amp, but in general, in a big place it can depend a lot from a sound rehearsal. Try to concentrate on the sound more on the rehearsal then on your playing. You should set the optimal tone on the amp and that is in general around volume around 6-7, treble 5-6, mids 6-8, bass ~5, and don't overdo it. It will go on the PA anyway. Don't put too much reverb and if you switch on the delay, no big feedback, one or two repeats at most, trebly eq and you should be ok. On your pedals also boost the mids a little. You should be fine.

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Feb 7 2008, 05:48 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 7 2008, 07:13 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Feb 7 2008, 03:47 AM) *
yes, the above place is where im probably going to play.

These are my amp settings by the way:

Gain: 9
Treble: 5.5
Mid: 8
Bass:2

For that place I'd recommend a basket ball. wink.gif

What you should do is to start off with everything set at noon and tweak the sound as you sound check. Bring a really long cord or wireless so you can walk out where the people will be standing, and listen.
I personaly like a lot of bass ot get a lot of thump... feels sooooo good biggrin.gif
Add enough mids to cut but save a bit for the EQ you stomp when you play solo.

If I guess the settings I'd start with (o clock) with my H&K (mind that my EQ works differently per channel and probably different from yours)
Bass 1-2 tweak clockwise
Mid 12-1 tweak clockwise
Tre 11 tweak counter clockwise
Presence 12-2 tweak clockwise

The EQ for solo I'd put a bit lower bass, more mids and less treble and give it some Db boost. Got to listen and set what's right, can't bring the pedal from your bedroom/rehearsalroom and suspect it to be fit for fight.

And finally, most important of all. Do NOT use too much gain, there's no such thing as "you can't get too much gain". Well you can, and the risk is that it will sound like crap, at leats if you're not into music branded "mindless gain". wink.gif
I saw you stated yours as 9 (where 10 is max?), try it at noon and see what it does too your sound when you're playing real loud on stage.

And when sound checking, also concider that when there's a lots of people there chatting, screaming and just standing there in front of the speakers they will dampen the sound so rather set it a tad too loud when you sound check or the people in the back row won't enjoy so much. And mind that if you're too close to the ground you have to get all speakers up a bit or it's dampened even more.
If you run everything throuhg a PA that's the sound guys problem.

...with all the different hints from different people the question is if you don't get too much different information. Perhaps it's better to just go there, do what you can and learn from all the mistakes. laugh.gif

EDIT: my figures were in regards to the clock, not the actual figures on the knobs

This post has been edited by MickeM: Feb 7 2008, 07:14 PM

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 7 2008, 09:14 PM
yes, my gain knob has 10 as max. I have it at 9. I also forgot to mention that i use a Digitech RP250 effects pedal with reverb and some amp stuff, i honestly never got into the amp stuff from the pedal so i dont know much about that area.

Anyways the only time i got to do a soundcheck is just like 10 or 20 mins before the presentation. I hope thats enough time, i also have my teacher (he's a bass player, and gigs alot) that might help me with the amp settings. I just hope everything turns out good..

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:20 AM