Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tab/practicing Question
post Feb 8 2008, 11:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4.080

Hey Andrew, I just had a small question about the tabs, so I figured I'd ask it here. What does it mean when you put an "L" on a tab...for example, from Gabriel's Alice in Chains style lesson:

oh...and another question...I know a few licks and songs by heart, that I know very well...but I can never seem to be able to play perfectly every time..even though I've been practicing them for a while...and then I see some of these videos and I wonder if you guys record over and over again to make it absolutely perfect or if there's some trick to it. If I mess up even once I get all confused, and have to start over again...

Just a few simple questions, thanks for your time.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
post Feb 9 2008, 02:33 AM
Post #2

Moderation Policy Director
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.167

Hi there!

First of all, the "L" means a tid note - its two notes that are played as one - you just add the durations together to get a longer note.

On tab that doesn't mean a lot as there is no duration information on them, but it is used a lot more in music notation.

Regarding getting stuff right - its a combination of practoce and playing wihtin your abilities really.To get something perfect you need to practice it slowly to a metronome and then speed it up over time only increasing the speed when you get it perfect. After a lot of repetition you will be able to play it perfectly at the right speed!

Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2016 - 06:55 AM