> What Is Music?
Owen
post Feb 11 2008, 10:54 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.113

I feel the need for a reply smile.gif

First of all thank you all for your answers, its nice to see such different thoughts and interpretations of something that we all cleary enjoy doing and love being involved in. I particularily liked JVM, Muris and Rokchik's answers. JVM, your idea of music being a language really struck a chord (no pun intended tongue.gif) with me, its something that I have heard mentioned before but its still a great comparison, the idea of many shredders having an extended vocabulary but no genuine soul is a great analogy.

Rokchik, your more literal answer was nice too, I thought it very honest, true and unbiased, I think that its the concept of music that I can relate to most, it was very much beyond all the unclear meanings and jargon that I think people can sometimes get drawn in to when thinking these things through, it was good to see a view I could so easily associate with.

Muris words, as his guitar playing, were just inspiring, its comforting to know that you think depth as a musician comes not only from the instrument itself smile.gif

QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 11 2008, 11:36 AM) *
Music don't have a soul, but a player does. If that soul is big he is making a soulful music. Blues has a lot of soul when played by african americans who in my oppinion have a ton of soul for the blues. They are the worlds greatest musicians. They just are. Vast majority of them have natural sense for music that other races can only dream of.

I find myself disagreeing in this case though, I'd say that perhaps African Americans are perhaps more integrated with a musical background and are therefore more likely to be prominent at styles and ideas that they are introduced to at such early ages, I think to say that one sector of people makes up the worlds greatest musicians is perhaps a bit of a sweeping generalisation, as I think that as Muris says its all about what every single person feels, or doesnt feel, inside them that contributes to the music. Looking back at this whole discussion, I'd say that 'soul' cannot be isolated into particular musical genres or people. tongue.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 11 2008, 09:44 AM) *
Great question Owen.

Just a quick, well for me, comment - John Coltrane's 'Love Supreme' was written very much from the soul and reaches out to (try to) touch us. It's personal choice whether or not we, as individuals, like this composition but I would disagree strongly that it 'has no soul'. Your dad might find some of the biographies on Coltrane and other jazz greats really interesting on this point.

Cheers,
Tony

Thanks Tony, biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, I think If I attempted to do this it wouldnt do a thing, I think theres no harm in trying but he's pretty stubborn in his opinion and I think I'd end up being treated to another round of Fleetwood Mac songs on the stereo system and a lecture on how Peter Green is such a better guitarist "than all those jazz guys". tongue.gif I see no point in debating with him further over it, I was just interested in what all you guys as musicians thought of the whole issue. cool.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Feb 11 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #22

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

Ah well Owen - sure my little one would say that parents don't listen and will never admit to being wrong wink.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
post Feb 11 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 1.545

My screen is a little messed up, so I'll kep my reply short, since I basically can't read what I'm typing.

For me, music is a way to express oneself with sound. Nothing more, nothing less. Allthough, sometimes I think you can hear when someone has put a lot of effort and "soul" into making music. But, at the end of the day, I wouldn't be able to hear if some psytrance was made with passion or not, so yeah, it's basically just a way of expression with sound.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Owen
post Feb 11 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 2.113

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 11 2008, 02:03 PM) *
Ah well Owen - sure my little one would say that parents don't listen and will never admit to being wrong wink.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

laugh.gif

I have to say, I agree with the majority of things he comes out with, but I'd never tell him that. Must be a child thing wink.gif

I do think most people find it pretty hard to change their opinions on the basis of what someone else has said though, I know I do, so I wont blame him for that, I think its a character trait just about everyone is guilty of biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Owen: Feb 11 2008, 11:14 PM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th January 2017 - 12:27 AM