> New Start Page!
jacmoe
post Feb 12 2008, 08:47 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.432

I think he means that the site is too busy. happy.gif

<edit>Maybe try and add a small three-column welcome area at the top to tie it all together a bit, like I wrote on the previous page of this topic.</edit>

This post has been edited by jacmoe: Feb 12 2008, 08:49 PM

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jeff
post Feb 12 2008, 09:06 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 706

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 12 2008, 02:46 PM) *
In firefox - hold ctrl and press F5. (You might need to clear the so called "css" or everything will look completely upside down! )

If possible you can provide us a screenshot so we can see what you see - it would be appreciated! smile.gif

edit - we just discovered that "new" symbols are way out in in internet explorer, I hope we can fix this as soon as possible!

Yes, I'm using IE so that is probably why I am having some problems. thanks Kris! smile.gif
Here is a screen shot of the lesson plans on my start page. You can see that the word "create" is on the far right and the lessons plans on the left are repeating words, numbers, etc.
[attachment=4493:gmc.JPG]

This post has been edited by jeff: Feb 12 2008, 09:21 PM

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
post Feb 12 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #23

Group: Passive
Member No.: 2.062

nice new update! looks good! smile.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
jacmoe
post Feb 12 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 3.432

OK. I thought about it a bit:
Why not move the two boxes "New Guitar Lessons" and "Band Class" down under the next row, so that the Welcome Video, GMC Community and "Start Here" be at the top?

Might make the already great looking front page just a tiny bit better! smile.gif

Anyway - fantastic job done! wub.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Feb 12 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #25

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (jeff @ Feb 12 2008, 09:06 PM) *
Yes, I'm using IE so that is probably why I am having some problems. thanks Kris! smile.gif
Here is a screen shot of the lesson plans on my start page. You can see that the word "create" is on the far right and the lessons plans on the left are repeating words, numbers, etc.
[attachment=4493:gmc.JPG]

Jeff there is a serious layout error here and I don't have a clue on why (since you say you have refreshed, closed the browser etc). I hope I can get some advice ont his sad.gif

Does anyone else see this?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jeff
post Feb 12 2008, 10:36 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 12 2008, 04:32 PM) *
Jeff there is a serious layout error here and I don't have a clue what it could be. I hope I can get some advice ont his sad.gif

Does anyone else see this?

It will probably be different when I log in from home. I'm looking from work right now wink.gif . Anyway, when I get home I'll check it out. This has got to be more specific to my PC. Perhaps it can't handle CSS, Javascript, etc. thanks Kris! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Feb 12 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #27

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

It works fine here with IE 7 ...Except the new symbols..Maybe your work computer have some limiting software or something on smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Feb 12 2008, 10:39 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Bali
post Feb 12 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 2.983

A bit too cluttered in my opinion

+Quote Post
Owen
post Feb 12 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 2.113

Ah, the trivail's of non-functioning, badly programmed microsoft products. sad.gif

Works/looks fine in Opera! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
post Feb 12 2008, 11:18 PM
Post #30

Instructor

Group: Passive
Member No.: 3.084

great work GMC good step

--------------------

+Quote Post
botoxfox
post Feb 12 2008, 11:32 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 1.226

QUOTE (Owen @ Feb 12 2008, 10:43 PM) *
Ah, the trivail's of non-functioning, badly programmed microsoft products. sad.gif

Works/looks fine in Opera! biggrin.gif

Ahh yes, another reason why IE sucks.
Opera FTW!

This post has been edited by botoxfox: Apr 22 2011, 03:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
RobM
post Feb 13 2008, 12:25 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 2.353

QUOTE (Maria @ Feb 12 2008, 01:58 PM) *
RobM, thank you for taking time to comment and provide us with your suggestions. It is certainly not easy to design for all visitors, veterans as newcomers. All steps that we take are both to be able to handle our growing content, as well as making possible the development of new ideas to make the site even better for you and all users.

This new design has been developed to make the start page represent more the content we have, and display what are our strongest cards - the guitar lessons and the interaction between musicians. For completely new users we also have, as you know, the welcome video which explains the concept of the site.

I really appreciate your concern for the site, and we will definately consider you suggestions. I also hope that you can see benefits from this new design, even though it might be a bit uncomfortable before you get used to it. smile.gif

Oh, of course I understand what you're trying to do and that is why I suggested the layout as I did. I was just trying to be helpfull and give input on what I saw and felt when I logged in to the new front page. Back in the day I used to run a multi lne computer BBS system that survived on the money I would take in from my subscribers. I ran the BBS for several years and only closed down because the Internet pretty much put all BBS systems out of business.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
JVM
post Feb 13 2008, 02:06 AM
Post #33

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 1.984

It keeps looking better and better, but I do agree that it looks a bit cluttered. This is just kind of a result of having so much content at GMC, it all needs to be featured yet there's so much to do it can be overwhelming for a newcomer. For example, the virtual bands and collaborations aren't on the main page, but they're big features. I don't necessarily think they need to be, but just goes to show that theres a LOT to do at GMC and I know its hard fitting it all on the main page like tetris pieces.

Some questions that arise in my mind, thinking like a newcomer:

Why are there two sections for the blog, under "community" and "gmc blog"?

Why isn't there an easy access button to the wiki from anywhere in the site, like next to forum/blog/video lessons under the main banner?

I like how you can click on the community button and it takes you to a page explaining the forum, wiki and blog. Perhaps that should be made more prominent and either the "gmc blog" section or recent blog updates section be replaced?

Maybe there should be a big button somewhere on the site that says something along the lines of "New to GMC?"

I know there are several beginner help sections but they should be consolidated and made more visible on the main page.

I really like how the site is shaping up style wise though, good job smile.gif Just trying to help a little.

This post has been edited by JVM: Feb 13 2008, 02:08 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
post Feb 13 2008, 02:17 AM
Post #34

Singing Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.960

great..I love this SP...smile.gif

This post has been edited by Nemanja: Feb 13 2008, 02:18 AM

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Jeff
post Feb 13 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #35

Kris,
I'm checking from home now and everything looks fine. smile.gif I like the new design now that I can see it properly. At work I use IE6. They don't allow us to upgrade to 7 yet. Don't know why. I belive that IE6 combined with some kind of firewall policies or similar at work was the cause of my problem.

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
post Feb 13 2008, 01:40 PM
Post #36

Learning Tone Guru

Member No.: 2.318

Just my few cents...

it feels really overwhelmed with information. I like decent things and this looks for me a bit too messy:D I like the developement and new ideas etc... I would just change few of these things:

1. The GMC Community button can be placed in the black column (where are Video lessons, Blog etc..)
2. The recent video updates dont have to be there and take that much space, it could be small columnt at the side.. there already is a New lesson box
3. Also the band class can be solved as a row, as opposed to box - I myself generally prefer rows to columns:D

As I said, just my two cents:) Sending ya my feedback:)

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Feb 13 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #37

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.001

I think the new layout is fantastic, and a really great use of space. biggrin.gif In my personal opinion it it spot on smile.gif

For those of you that are still getting problems veiwing the new layout, it may be due to useing older browsers. I would recommened update your browser to the latest version. smile.gif

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Feb 13 2008, 01:50 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Owen
post Feb 13 2008, 01:56 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 2.113

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Feb 13 2008, 04:49 AM) *
I think the new layout is fantastic, and a really great use of space. biggrin.gif In my personal opinion it it spot on smile.gif

For those of you that are still getting problems veiwing the new layout, it may be due to useing older browsers. I would recommened update your browser to the latest version. smile.gif

I agree with Matt, the only thing I'd say doesnt fit is the GMC community button at the odd angle, as everything else is directly horizontal and leads your eye over it, the button jarrs a bit. smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
post Feb 13 2008, 02:54 PM
Post #39

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.681

Everything smooth and fine to me, beautiful new start page

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Feb 13 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #40

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

I find new layout practically same as previous but with more info and possibilities..I think everyone used to old one should not have too much hustle with this ...Also I really like 4 guitar lessons tab and especially band class lessons tab with previous lessons (they are getting more traffic now)... smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 08:07 PM