Picking Out My Problems
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Feb 13 2008, 04:03 AM
GMC:er
Now that I recently have found a new guitar teacher its always fun to see him pick out my problems. Now he said that my alternate picking is good at certain speeds but he saysid I sometimes do a " Double Down Stroke " .

By that I " THINK" he means if I was doing a 3nps run starting on the Low E with a downstroke that I would also start with a down stroke on the A , Is that right ? Or would that just simply mean Im doing 2 downstrokes in a row not on purpose. Is it still alternate picking if I went " Down, Up Down" and then on the next string started " Down, Up Down " again ?

HELP blink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Feb 13 2008, 04:04 AM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
adam b
Feb 13 2008, 05:15 AM
No it would not be alternate then. Alternate is down up down up.... no matter what string you are going to. Sounds to me like you are doing economy picking where you pick the closest string with an up or down ( depending if you are going from E to A or G to D ) and then doing alternate picking on that string. So for example, you do down up down up on the G string and then you go up down up down on the D string. That is not alternate picking because you did two up strokes in a row even though you are alternate picking the individual strings. Hope you catch my drift rolleyes.gif . I recently had the same problem you did and am now going back and relearning it the way I just explained. Best of luck!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by adam b: Feb 13 2008, 05:16 AM

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Feb 13 2008, 08:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Feb 13 2008, 04:03 AM) *
Is it still alternate picking if I went " Down, Up Down" and then on the next string started " Down, Up Down " again ?
HELP blink.gif

Alternate picking means always alternate.
So if you start with Down, Up, Down, the next string will be Up, Down, Up and so on. smile.gif

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Feb 13 2008, 04:54 PM
QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Feb 12 2008, 11:31 PM) *
Alternate picking means always alternate.
So if you start with Down, Up, Down, the next string will be Up, Down, Up and so on. smile.gif

Ergh. That means I have to pretty much relearn it properly- At higher the speeds the extra down stroke will really mess me up ! thanks for your help guys smile.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 13 2008, 05:10 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Feb 13 2008, 03:54 PM) *
Ergh. That means I have to pretty much relearn it properly- At higher the speeds the extra down stroke will really mess me up ! thanks for your help guys smile.gif

Exactly my experience after 2 years of bad practise- havnt yet got completly out of it sad.gif

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Feb 13 2008, 05:17 PM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Feb 13 2008, 08:10 AM) *
Exactly my experience after 2 years of bad practise- havnt yet got completly out of it sad.gif

Youve have the same problem ? I guess this whole time it was economy picking that I was doing but the problem is that extra downstroke is so natural to me " Down, Up Down" and then the next string " Down Up Down"

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 13 2008, 11:35 PM
Instructor
What you are doing is called "economy picking". It is technique commonly used by guitarists to minimize right hands movements. It transfers onto the next string more naturally BUT only if you practice it a lot. It is a combination of alternate and sweeping. Great technique it is, and certainly something I suggest you should develop too.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 13 2008, 11:58 PM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Feb 13 2008, 10:17 AM) *
Youve have the same problem ? I guess this whole time it was economy picking that I was doing but the problem is that extra downstroke is so natural to me " Down, Up Down" and then the next string " Down Up Down"

i just realised too man, fortunately i havent been playing that long, but can play fast with this "economy" picking, right now im trying to build both at the same time but im not sure if its a good idea unsure.gif unsure.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Feb 13 2008, 11:59 PM
I used to do that, and it worked while ascending, but totally screwed me up when playing descending licks. Just play slowly and try to figure out what you're doing wrong, that is a very important part of improving your playing.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 14 2008, 12:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (RIP Dime @ Feb 13 2008, 11:59 PM) *
I used to do that, and it worked while ascending, but totally screwed me up when playing descending licks. Just play slowly and try to figure out what you're doing wrong, that is a very important part of improving your playing.

Descending runs would have to start with upstroke which would have to be another thing to think about and it would than be economy picking. It's a cool technique but AP is the most important one smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 14 2008, 12:12 AM
I never did anything but when I switched to mainly alternate picking, it was much more comfortable to play a whole.

But both are needed, economy picking sounds super smooth, but not as consistent.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 14 2008, 12:18 AM
Instructor
Unfortunately there are so many things to practice that i never payed attention to economy picking. I'm mostly AP and sweeper + a bit of legato smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Feb 14 2008, 01:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Feb 14 2008, 12:12 AM) *
I never did anything but when I switched to mainly alternate picking, it was much more comfortable to play a whole.

But both are needed, economy picking sounds super smooth, but not as consistent.

QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 14 2008, 12:18 AM) *
Unfortunately there are so many things to practice that i never payed attention to economy picking. I'm mostly AP and sweeper + a bit of legato smile.gif

In my experience I found that economy picking is good sometimes when you improvise. Like Tjchep said, it sounds smooth and it's just a good alternative to the alternate picking. So your phrasing can benefit using both the techniques.

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 14 2008, 02:13 AM
Instructor
Every technique that a player has under his belt is useful when playing. Well rounded player needs to know all techniques and combine them in order to be a virtuoso. So every technique is important in order to play properly.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Feb 16 2008, 06:39 PM
I feel like my hugest problem as a player was for about the 2.5 years I was playing I thought " Man I can Alternate Picking pretty decently biggrin.gif ". Little did I know Im economy picking. I knew what economy was but never knew I was doing it.

Ive now went back to Pavels 1st Alternate Picking lesson and am relearning what I thoughtnt I learned a looooooong time ago smile.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:36 AM