Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pickup And Guitar Question, Getting a tax refund so want to spend some cash :)
rokchik
post Feb 28 2008, 01:00 AM
Post #1

Moderator - The Dark Canuck
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.395

Well for a very long time now I've been on the hunt for a new guitar and well I don't even have my tax money and it's already burning a hole in my pocket smile.gif . I'm looking for a guitar to practice with really and bang around....I baby my LP and don't like taking it around to peoples houses much. Plus it can get heavy when practicing for long periods of time. Just want a nice, lightweight, practice guitar that looks and sounds great and won't put a huge dent in my wallet. (price range about 700-1200)

I had a chance today to play an Ibanez RG1570. I've had my eye on this guitar for a while and almost bought one on online, so I was a bit excited to play it, and I really liked the feel of it, however I was not totally sold on the stock pickups. It might be that I'm use to my LP's sound but there was just something I didn't like. As I said I really liked the feel so I'm thinking if I buy it I may replace the pickups.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what would suite this guitar pickup wise? I know it's more of a metal guitar but I'm more of a hard rock/classic rock kind of girl. I was thinking some SD APH-1's but not sure about the single coil in the middle. I'm not well versed in different pickups so I need all the help I can get...I've checked out the pickup sticky thread but I'm a bit of a laymen with this stuff.

rok

Also I've looked at a few ESP guitars but don't know much about them. Is there certain models I should avoid looking at and could someone recommend a few. Thanks in advance for the help smile.gif

This post has been edited by rokchik: Feb 28 2008, 01:04 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Feb 28 2008, 01:17 AM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

If you need it for practice, why not buy and Epiphone and for the rest of the money you can by two great SD's. It will be similar to yours LP, but you can put JB and 59 and really make that guitar a great piece of rock. What do you think?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
rokchik
post Feb 28 2008, 01:39 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

I have never looked at a Epiphone to be honest with you. When I bought my LP the guy tried to get me to look at a one, and do as you said upgrade the pickups, but I was like if I'm gonna spend the money I want the real deal. But for what I'm looking for now it may be worth the look. Thanks for the reminder....although I'm trying to avoid getting a guitar that looks like my LP, style wise I mean.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Feb 28 2008, 01:53 AM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

I see what you mean,,,well, what kind of style guitar are you searching, maybe a strat shaped ibanez? Those can be pretty cool too. Also maybe search for some SE PRS models, maybe you can find something that mathces the budget.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
rokchik
post Feb 28 2008, 02:10 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 27 2008, 08:53 PM) *
I see what you mean,,,well, what kind of style guitar are you searching, maybe a strat shaped ibanez? Those can be pretty cool too. Also maybe search for some SE PRS models, maybe you can find something that mathces the budget.

I like the strat styles for sure...I' don't want anything too extreme. I've looked at PRS but all the ones I like are way way over my budget smile.gif I've looked at Fenders as well but I think a Fender Strat or Tele will be a major purchase not a budget purchase. The RG 1570 and The ESP M-1000 kind of stuck out with me. I haven't played ESP but I like the look of it.

+Quote Post
rokchik
post Feb 28 2008, 02:23 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Here's what Ive been looking at :

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG1570

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe-m.html

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe-h.html

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/elec...aph1_alnico_ii/

Like I said I've played the Ibanez and liked...just not the pickups. Have no experience with ESP so not sure what to think about the above mentioned only that I like the look....and the H-1001 comes with Duncans.

edit: added link to Seymour Duncan pickups I was looking at.

This post has been edited by rokchik: Feb 28 2008, 02:27 AM

+Quote Post
Zephyr
post Feb 28 2008, 02:34 AM
Post #7

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.595

Hmm... have you thought about Schecters at all? In my opinion, they're just about the nicest guitars you can find under $1000. smile.gif

+Quote Post
rokchik
post Feb 28 2008, 02:44 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Zephyr @ Feb 27 2008, 09:34 PM) *
Hmm... have you thought about Schecters at all? In my opinion, they're just about the nicest guitars you can find under $1000. smile.gif

Again another guitar I am not that familiar with....although I must say I like the look of yours smile.gif I'll take a look for sure. Thanks.

+Quote Post
fatstrat
post Feb 28 2008, 02:53 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 1.522

hey i noticed that you are looking at the Alnico II magnet.....i would highly recommend this pickup for a neck position! I have one installed on my PRS in that spot and it definitely hits the spot for a good rhythm pickup

--------------------
My Gear:

Guitars: Guild D-55, Taylor 110-E, 1992 Epiphone Sheraton II (JB neck and '59 bridge), PRS SE singlecut (SD Alnico II neck and Gibby Bustbucker Pro bridge)

Amps: Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25

Effects: Boss DD-7, BD-2, and Dunlop CryBaby

+Quote Post
SensE
post Feb 28 2008, 03:02 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 4.144

Hey, RokChik, i like ESP like you do too. Check out the ESP LTD JH-600 and also Kirk Hammert KH-602. Those are good quality guitars with Alder body, Original Flode rose , EMG pick up and costs $1100

+Quote Post
rokchik
post Feb 28 2008, 03:03 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (fatstrat @ Feb 27 2008, 09:53 PM) *
hey i noticed that you are looking at the Alnico II magnet.....i would highly recommend this pickup for a neck position! I have one installed on my PRS in that spot and it definitely hits the spot for a good rhythm pickup

Thanks fatstrat. My friend has one in his PRS too that's how I know I liked them. I even thought about one for my LP but figured why mess with a good thing smile.gif I still want that rock/bluesy tone and it seemed like a good fit.

+Quote Post
rokchik
post Feb 28 2008, 03:06 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

QUOTE (SensE @ Feb 27 2008, 10:02 PM) *
Hey, RokChik, i like ESP like you do too. Check out the ESP LTD JH-600 and also Kirk Hammert KH-602. Those are good quality guitars with Alder body, Original Flode rose , EMG pick up and costs $1100

I like the JH-600 very much actually. I looked at that one today...not sure why I never posted the link.

+Quote Post
SensE
post Feb 28 2008, 03:08 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 4.144

I prefer JH-600 too because of the Normal head stock and EMG81-85. Let's try that out. I sure you will like how's the alder body sounds. It sounds a little bit different than mahagony

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 05:05 AM