Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Need Help Deciding Which Guitar To Buy! Sos!, Any recommendations?
Richard Salas
post Mar 9 2008, 10:25 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.757

Hi Guys... Richard Here.

I came up tih the idea of buying a new guitar some time ago, but I still haven´t decided which one to buy.
By the way, yesterday we had a gig, and the time when we were supposed to play was rescheduled, so we tune our guitars real quick, and we had no time to warm-up or check our gear thoroughly. The thing is that while we were playing our first song, I jumped during one of the main riffs, and my strap came loose! the upper button was no longer there, so I couldn´t put the strap back on, fortunately, the crew gave me an ibanez SA from another contestant, I had been playing with an epiphone les paul (special 2) which is quite economic. But I was amazed by the Ibanez, it just felt so nice and solid, I loved playing with it, the solos sounded amazing, and I felt like I was in complete control. However, I don´t play metal, I play soft rock, with a litlle blues influence, so I didn´t like how the ibanez sounded when I changed from chord to chord, the strings made that chssssjjjj!!! noise when I slided my hand to play another position.

So I had several thoughts on my mind: I liked the ibanez on lead guitar, but not on rythm, I am also very fond of the gibson les paul standard (without the pick guard), but I don´t like the fact that it doesn´t have a tremolo (I recently heard that there is a les paul with a floyd rose tremolo, which sound really interesting) .
I like the fender showmaster, bu I havent´had the chance to play it, I also loved the prs guitars, but I really don´t know which one I should by.
I was thinking on spending 900 dollars at the most, and it wouldn´t matter if the guitars was a used one, as long as it is in good conditions.
I want a guitar that is really manageable playing lead guitar, and gentle in rythm guitar. Could somebody give me any recommendations? By the way, I recently saw the danelectro guitars, I liked them a lot not only because they are not that expensive, but because of their bluesy sound, but once again, I haven´t played one, so I would really like to know if they are a good option for a guitar.

Thanks.... Richard.

This post has been edited by Richard Salas: Mar 9 2008, 10:29 PM

--------------------
Keep living, Keep playing!

/Users/ricardosalasrivacoba/Desktop/0101202764_xl.jpg
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
post Mar 9 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3.401

Parker Nitefly M is awesome and I'd definitely look at one or try one out.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
post Mar 9 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #3

Instructor

Group: Passive
Member No.: 3.084

i think if you can find a guitar with 1 humbaker and 2 single coil . so you can use the single for your bluse and
other styles and the humbaker for solos thats a good way .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Goliath
post Mar 9 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2.254

You ever tried a Stratocaster? That sounds like it's about your speed. Maybe an SG if you really like the way your LP plays but want something that's a little more manageable for leads.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Mar 9 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

I don't know, maybe some Epiphone LP with Floyd Rose and good pikcups if you find it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gus
post Mar 9 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Student Instructor
Member No.: 3.920

For that price range, I would try these 3:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - I have one and it is just amazing (but you won't have the tremolo)
Ibanez RGT42DXBP - I have Neck-Thru Ibanez, and actually there are 2 positions that go for single coil sounds that are pretty fine for blues, rhythm or chords.
For your style (and this price range) you should seriously consider a fat standard stratocaster ( humbucker, single, single , good configuration for you as Hisham said).

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
post Mar 9 2008, 11:28 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2.523

QUOTE (Gus @ Mar 9 2008, 05:17 PM) *
For that price range, I would try these 3:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - I have one and it is just amazing (but you won't have the tremolo)
Ibanez RGT42DXBP - I have Neck-Thru Ibanez, and actually there are 2 positions that go for single coil sounds that are pretty fine for blues, rhythm or chords.
For your style (and this price range) you should seriously consider a fat standard stratocaster ( humbucker, single, single , good configuration for you as Hisham said).

Yeah I'd say go with that also.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Mar 9 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

+1 for the Fat Standard, it's a great instrument, if you like single coils.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
post Mar 9 2008, 11:40 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2.523

QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Mar 9 2008, 05:37 PM) *
+1 for the Fat Standard, it's a great instrument, if you like single coils.

Well it has an HSS setup so there is a humbucker.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2017 - 11:10 AM