I'm Good At Playing, I suck at writing
shellshock1911
Mar 11 2008, 02:32 AM
GMC:er
Yea so, as my confidence in my guitar PLAYING ability increases, I still suck at improvising or writing music. I have been trying to do good in that area but I just can't and to me frankly is really boring, hard on my mind at least, and maybe just not for me. I certainly don't plan on continuing guitar past enjoyment level and may not even ever join a band. I love listening to music mainly and love to just learn and play songs. I know how I am going to get responses saying "Just let it flow," "Just use your creativity and emotions." I don't think this works, no matter how emotional I am, it always comes out pretty bad I and my perfectionist attitude drives my crazy because I want it to be good but it just isn't good enough for my own set standards. As I get into other stuff that I really enjoy such as learning Spanish, my will to play guitar just goes down and stuff like improvisation just seems like some giant annoying math problem and it is so much more enjoyable just to listen to and learn my favorite songs. What do I do?

EDIT: Meh, actually the title was bad. I enjoy writing riffs and can write melodies pretty well with no backing chords or anything and I enjoy that but as soon as you throw a backing track or chord progression behind, I just can't do anything.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Mar 11 2008, 02:36 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 11 2008, 02:34 AM
Just play and have fun with it... it will all come to you in time

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Mar 11 2008, 02:37 AM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 11 2008, 02:34 AM) *
Just play and have fun with it... it will all come to you in time

That is the thing though, when I am trying to improvise, I am not having fun, it is just boring and SOOOOO usual.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 11 2008, 02:40 AM
then dont try to improvise... learn and play the songs you like to play, then one day it will come to you... if its not fun and you dont enjoy it, then why do it

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 11 2008, 02:44 AM
after you play other peoples songs for soo long you'll see what they are doing and you'll want to improvise and make up and play some of your own music... one thing i have learned about guitar is everything takes time and everyones learning process is different, something might take someone a month to get it and someone else 6 months.. I think the important thing is to have fun and good things will come

--------------------

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Mar 11 2008, 02:44 AM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Mar 11 2008, 02:40 AM) *
then dont try to improvise... learn and play the songs you like to play, then one day it will come to you... if its not fun and you dont enjoy it, then why do it

Good point, it would probably be good to stop trying to force myself to do other stuff. I was going down a good path with my guitar playing and really opening up to many new styles and having a blast with it until I got sucked into Dream Theater and now everything else is just so boring except learning their songs. Hopefully this will just be like Metallica last year where I was obsessed for like 4 months then starting learning other stuff.

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Mar 11 2008, 02:45 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Manny
Mar 11 2008, 02:45 AM
You gotta pentatonic scale it up, first of all. Just grab some licks and mess around with pasting them together in all keyes.
Then start messing around with sweep picking and things of the nature, and when you have a basic grasp of what notes sound good on what chord, start screwing with the modes.
Good luck smile.gif

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Mar 11 2008, 02:49 AM
QUOTE (Manny @ Mar 11 2008, 02:45 AM) *
You gotta pentatonic scale it up, first of all. Just grab some licks and mess around with pasting them together in all keyes.
Then start messing around with sweep picking and things of the nature, and when you have a basic grasp of what notes sound good on what chord, start screwing with the modes.
Good luck smile.gif

Yea, actually I have been trying to improvise for several months now with pentatonic and major scales, however the sounds that come out are just not for me, they just sound too usual and normal, I don't know. When I start sounding like someone else it drives me crazy and I just want to quit playing for the time being.

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Mar 11 2008, 02:49 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Manny
Mar 11 2008, 02:51 AM
Yeah, there are several cliche licks involving anything pentatonic.
If your looking for a more interesting sound, try solos in Phrygian or Dorian. Even Harmonic minor has a unique "Evil" sound.

+Quote Post
fatstrat
Mar 11 2008, 03:22 AM
I think speaking in terms of creativity...you'll never achieve your own style if you are concerning yourself with other people's style. I'm speaking from my own experience, but I've never tried to emulate any guitar player. I make up my own chords because I think that the best chords are the ones that don't really have names. Creativity is like catching something beautiful in a split second and holding on to it forever. It's a great thing! I'm sure I sound a little crazy, but music is a passion you know?

--------------------
My Gear:

Guitars: Guild D-55, Taylor 110-E, 1992 Epiphone Sheraton II (JB neck and '59 bridge), PRS SE singlecut (SD Alnico II neck and Gibby Bustbucker Pro bridge)

Amps: Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25

Effects: Boss DD-7, BD-2, and Dunlop CryBaby

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 11 2008, 03:30 AM
The main thing is to have fun... Everything else will come in time, as long as you keep playing... You will develop your own style and sound, and it will probably be a mixture of all the guitarists you like... dont force anything, just play and have fun

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 11 2008, 04:12 AM
Singing Instructor
for improvisation,as I see it blues is the best way to go...and like practising scales,arppeggios,and all that stuff that impruve your technical capabilities and that can usualy be boring practising over and over again,you should have same aproche with improvisation....let it be boring but dont quit...just make your self do a step up every time you practise improvisation....and off course you have to liste all kind of music and other guitarists...bisouse they did the same way.....

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Kyle Logue
Mar 11 2008, 04:15 AM
Drum instructor
Sometimes your improvisations will sound simple when you play them alone. Try creating 2 different riffs centered around the same chords/scales and then combine what you liked about each one and make a "super riff".

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 11 2008, 08:16 PM
Instructor
I think the best solution is definitely to enjoy your music work and not worry too much about the things that you don't like to do. You work on your technique, work on some author songs if you want, or do a cover of some other song but try unplugged version or something with open chords. You definitely don't have to do something you don't like.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:03 PM