2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Jaw Dropping Technical, I need some recomendations for metal shred
Jeff0803
Apr 4 2008, 09:43 PM
GMC:er
Hey everyone, I just joined a few days ago so this is actually my first post. Im really loving the site so far and have already learned a couple awesome riffs. I like progressive metal with really talented guitar players so Im trying to find some more bands that are so technical they turn brains into s@!# haha. Ive been listening to bands like: Protest the Hero, The Human Abstract, Opeth, Between the Buried and Me (especially the album Colors), Darkest Hour, Lamb of God, Mastodon, Dillenger Escape Plan etc. I basically just want to find some music thats so astonishingly difficult to play that it inspires me to learn to be that good. Any ideas ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jeff0803: Apr 4 2008, 09:44 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 4 2008, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Check out Children Of Bodom

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Apr 4 2008, 09:54 PM
You just named most of my favorite bands! laugh.gif cool.gif
Check out Fates Warning, Dream Theater, Racer X, Meshuggah, Cacophony, Death or even Nile.

This post has been edited by RIP Dime: Apr 4 2008, 10:05 PM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Jeff0803
Apr 4 2008, 10:13 PM
QUOTE (superize @ Apr 4 2008, 09:54 PM) *
Check out Children Of Bodom

Yeah man, Alexi can tear it up and thier one of my favorite bands, I have almost all of thier cds. The solos are great and the band is overall really heavy, but its more neoclassical thrash than really progressive and technical. They dont have anything outside of basic 3/4 or 4/4 time signatures and they pretty much just playing a slightly more dark and heavy version of metalcore with better guitar shred and keyboards. I like some of Fates Warning but their not really heavy enough, Dream Theater is great but I already own everything theyve put out. I do like Death. I have a real hard time getting into Nile for some reason. I have Black Seeds of Vengeance and its got its moments but the majority of it is almost inaduible, its so low and downtuned the majority of it sounds like mush. I have an Opeth tattoo so its not just because their death metal haha. But thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Apr 4 2008, 10:26 PM
Alright im a big fan of Technical deathmetal so ill throw a few names out

Gojira
Strapping Young Lad
Brain Drill
Sleep Terror
The Faceless
Spawn of Possession
Messugah
Vital Remains
Suffocation
Nile
Disfiguring the Godess
Putrid Pile
Job for a Cowboy
Quo Vadis
Amon Amarth
Beneath the Massacre
Zyklon..

ive got a few more but check out some of those smile.gif

make sure to check out those bands BUT since you want guitar stuff i also recommend a few more smile.gif

Into Eternity ( this pair of guitarists blew my mind live )
Arch Enemy
3 Inches of Blood
Firewind
Nevermore
Annihilator
Light This City
Five Finger Death Punch
All That Remains
Killswitch Engaged
In Flames
John Petrucci's Solo stuff smile.gif
Kyuss
Himsa
Threat Signal
Before the Fall
Hatesphere

smile.gif

This post has been edited by Smikey2006: Apr 4 2008, 10:32 PM

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
bladzerok
Apr 4 2008, 10:35 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
you should try symphony X.
their style reminds me of D-T

--------------------
My gears are:
guitars:
-simon and patrick accoustic guitar
-ovation accoustic guitar
-Ibanez S320 electric guitar
-Ibanez RG7321 electric guitar
amp:
-Peavey valveking 112
effects:
-Boss SD-1
-Dunlop crybaby from hell
-Boss GE-7 7-Band Equaliser
-Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Apr 4 2008, 10:39 PM
Dream Theater is about as technical as music gets. If you REALLY want technical, there is 123 time signature changes in "The Dance of Eternity." If you really like time signature changes, I could name some Dream Theater songs that have sections where the time signature changes on every bar.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 4 2008, 11:56 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Hi Jeff,
this isn't meant as a criticism of metal shred btw - but just for great jaw dropping technique a few maybe that you might like outside of that genre:

Allan Holdsworth,
Bret Garsed
Alex Machacek
Alessandro Benvenuti
Shawn Lane
John McLaughlin

All go beyond 4/4, 3/4 so if you haven't come across them may be worth checking out smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 5 2008, 12:29 AM
Hell yes Tony Miro. And also I'll add for technical death metal mixed with jazz then Atheist, Cynic, Coroner, Necrophagist, behold the arctopus, watchtower, blotted science etc.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Jeff0803
Apr 5 2008, 01:55 AM
Sorry shellshock no offense, but I lauged pretty hard when you said Dream Theater is as technical as it gets. Dont get me wrong their good and I like them, but their not even close to as technial as alot of other bands. Ive heard all the bands in the second half of your list Smikey but I need to look into some of the bands on the top half, that and the guys on tonymiros' list. So far Organized Confusions been the closest to what Im looking for. I have Cynics first record and its really cool, everything except the robot voices haha. Ron Jarzombak is the guitarist for Watchtower, Blotted Science, and Spastic Ink and hes probably one of the best guitarists ever. I may be wrong but I think the drummer in Blotted Science was the drummer in Behold the Arctopus, either that or Chris Adler from Lamb of God. There was an article online that said that Chris was gonna do it but I think he may have been to busy. Ive heard Necrophagist mentioned a few times but ive never checked them out, Ill have to look into them. I was searching around myspace and found this site http://www.myspace.com/corpseifier. Check out his youtube videos, just type in corpsefier. Check out the video for Multifocal Corridors. Now that is what Im talking about, haha! Lets see John Petrucci do that! Can anyone think of anyone as good or better than this guy?

This post has been edited by Jeff0803: Apr 5 2008, 02:06 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 5 2008, 04:00 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
All the bands mentioned are great, if you want some real crazy guitar work, Check out Necrophagist, and if you like bodom, youll love a band called Imperanon, Also try Nevermore, Jag Panzer, and Sinergy smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jeff0803
Apr 5 2008, 05:39 AM
Hey Tony, I really dig the players in your list man. Ive just spent the past 2 or 3 hours researching them all on youtube, I normally dont listen to that style but I really liked what I heard. These guys play "outside the box". Normally most guitar players just kind of doodle around in the major and minor scales but it sounds like thier all using different notes of the scale, probably alot more flat fifths and sharp sevenths or something. It gives it a real cool experimental almost dissonant vibe and alot more tension. I think what really makes it sound so great is the phrasing, it has alot more feeling than just straight up lightning fast 16th note triplets up and down the neck. That would sound awesome to take the agression and attitude of metal but play those different scales with as much feeling as they do. I need to find some lessons that have to do with this style on the site, any recomendations?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 5 2008, 08:37 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Glad you enjoyed them Jeff smile.gif .

As a suggestion for lessons - maybe the fusion orientated ones along with lessons that focus on modal playing. In addition there are lessons on 3nps runs that can help a lot with moving 'beyond' standard pentatonics (and you could also supplement by practicing 4 note). In addition Muris has some lessons on passing tones/neighboring notes which are a great help again for playing outside. Technique wise I'd also recommend practicing alt and economy picking and legato (maybe LOTS of legato wink.gif ). Also, don't know if/how into theory you are but Andrew's theory lessons are a great resource especially if you're looking to play out of the box, want to look into modal playing and extended chord forms.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 5 2008, 09:37 AM
Try Cephalic Carnage - Endless Cycle of Violence
Gory Blister - Asteroids
Odious Mortem
Decrepit Birth
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Return to Forever

Some great technical metal and jazz out there. I'm a huge fan of technical music and I also don't think Dream Theater are very technical. Great technique but not extremely technical.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Apr 5 2008, 09:42 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Somebody please restrain me, i read a negative dream theater comment sad.gif

But sure they're songs are as simple and talentless as Britney wink.gif

unsure.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 5 2008, 09:46 AM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Apr 5 2008, 08:42 AM) *
Somebody please restrain me, i read a negative dream theater comment sad.gif

But sure they're songs are as simple and talentless as Britney wink.gif

unsure.gif

It is not negative man. You can be TOO technical also and not use it well. Dream Theater are nothing on Allan Holdsworth technically or John McLaughlin. But Dream Theater have great songs. They are just easier to play than most technical music I listen to. Not saying the music is bad or that it's as easy as Britney to play. Just isn't that hard. Even we cover Dream Theater and I'm not even that great.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Apr 5 2008, 10:43 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Please tell me you cover this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITIfITKGhVw...feature=related

and then tell me his alternate picking technique is not one of the best.

<Sorry if i take DT arguments i little personal laugh.gif tongue.gif >

Not that hard?!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 5 2008, 11:00 AM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Apr 5 2008, 10:43 AM) *
Please tell me you cover this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITIfITKGhVw...feature=related

and then tell me his alternate picking technique is not one of the best.

<Sorry if i take DT arguments i little personal laugh.gif tongue.gif >

Not that hard?!

I said they had great technique. It just isn't that technical is it. Yeah that solo is quite difficult but compared to the bands and songs I;ve listed it is easy. Alternate Picking quickly in constant rhythms isn't hard.

Like compare it to Speed Metal Symphony by Cacophony. No comparison in technical terms.

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Apr 5 2008, 11:01 AM

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Apr 5 2008, 01:37 PM
QUOTE (Jeff0803 @ Apr 4 2008, 08:55 PM) *
Sorry shellshock no offense, but I lauged pretty hard when you said Dream Theater is as technical as it gets. Dont get me wrong their good and I like them, but their not even close to as technial as alot of other bands. Ive heard all the bands in the second half of your list Smikey but I need to look into some of the bands on the top half, that and the guys on tonymiros' list. So far Organized Confusions been the closest to what Im looking for. I have Cynics first record and its really cool, everything except the robot voices haha. Ron Jarzombak is the guitarist for Watchtower, Blotted Science, and Spastic Ink and hes probably one of the best guitarists ever. I may be wrong but I think the drummer in Blotted Science was the drummer in Behold the Arctopus, either that or Chris Adler from Lamb of God. There was an article online that said that Chris was gonna do it but I think he may have been to busy. Ive heard Necrophagist mentioned a few times but ive never checked them out, Ill have to look into them. I was searching around myspace and found this site http://www.myspace.com/corpseifier. Check out his youtube videos, just type in corpsefier. Check out the video for Multifocal Corridors. Now that is what Im talking about, haha! Lets see John Petrucci do that! Can anyone think of anyone as good or better than this guy?

my god! i'm more of an indie rock fan but i want all their songs! thx for showing us this band!

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
Jeff0803
Apr 5 2008, 05:11 PM
QUOTE (Marshmall0wz @ Apr 5 2008, 01:37 PM) *
my god! i'm more of an indie rock fan but i want all their songs! thx for showing us this band!

No problem man, unfortunately I dont think the guys in a band. He has some instrumental tracks on his myspace though jamming to a drum track that you can download.

As far as the Dream Theater thing goes, they are extremely talented but they take a more direct approach to being technical in their music then some other bands, even when at their most technical (the songs on train of thought come to mind). John Petrucci can play really fast, but hes still playing in a cohesive way that doesnt really stretch the boundaries of the song, so it all flows together. The bands that Im talking about throw all the rules of songwriting out the window and really stretch themselves to do things that no one really expects. When I listen to Dream Theater I really like what I hear and it often impresses me, but I very rarely ever go "holy s@$!, what just happened" and they hardly ever surprise me. The bands that can be catchy but extremely technical and have songs that are understandable only after a dozen listens are usually worth the effort. If you listen to bands like Protest the Hero and Spastic Ink, you honestly have no idea whats coming next but everything still sounds like it fits. Ive been listening to progressive metal every day sense I was like 13 (im only 20 now so i know i havnt been listening as long as alot of you) and ive done a whole lot of research but it all starts to sound the same after a while and you can almost guess where the songs are gonna go after a while. Thats why its refreshing to hear something different. Its all opinion though. Just because Dream Theater isnt one of the most technical bands doesnt mean their not one of the best bands. Ive seen Dream Theater twice and Im them this May with Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, and 3. Its gonna rock.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:25 AM