> How Do I Get Your Bluesy Sound?
Nighthawk1
post Apr 5 2008, 12:23 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 3.437

Hi there Ivan,
first of all thanks a lot for your awesome blues lessson. I had never really been keen on blues until I disovered and practised your blues soloing lesson. From now on I love listening to stevie ray vaughan, b.b. king and so on. I'd like to ask you too questions. Can you tell me which band/guitarist that is playing in the background of your intro of blues soloing beginners? Sounds so great.

Second, I have a Marshall MG 100 DFX Combo Amp and I am really unsure how to set it in order to get the bluesy sound like you got it. Do I have to use the clean channel? and what about gain, bass, middle, treble, contour ? My guitar is a Fender Squier Strat.
Thanks a lot !!!Cya, and onesmore thanks for your inspirations....

This post has been edited by Nighthawk: Apr 5 2008, 12:25 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Apr 5 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

Thanks man. It really means a lot for me to hear this! smile.gif

Regarding the blues song in the spoken video it is Freddy King from the Album Getting Ready. I've had strong influence by him. You can check him out on youtube and wikipedia, great bluesman.

Well, for the sound in this lesson I used neck single pickup and Fender Blackface Emulation from my Toneport, but in order to get similar sound on the Marshall I would suggest that you play it on clean with a lot of headroom. Meaning that you need to play it loud, but not too loud to go into overdrive. I know it is little tricky to do this on the Marshall since his sound breaks up very early and becomes dirty, but try to get as clean as possible for this one. You should have enough power for this, 100W is plenty. Also for the EQ I can really help that much simply because I don't really know how you whole gear sounds in the space you are in, and these are all factors that are very important. In general I would suggest to lift up the amp (if you are keeping it on the floor) on some 1 meter form the floor, or tilt it towards you in order to better hear the sound from the speaker and EQ from there. Set all the EQ on 5, and go from there. Let me know what you've done or if I can help you on more specific matters, I'll be glad to. Cheers smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
post Apr 5 2008, 02:25 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3.437

QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Apr 5 2008, 02:39 PM) *
Thanks man. It really means a lot for me to hear this! smile.gif

Regarding the blues song in the spoken video it is Freddy King from the Album Getting Ready. I've had strong influence by him. You can check him out on youtube and wikipedia, great bluesman.

Well, for the sound in this lesson I used neck single pickup and Fender Blackface Emulation from my Toneport, but in order to get similar sound on the Marshall I would suggest that you play it on clean with a lot of headroom. Meaning that you need to play it loud, but not too loud to go into overdrive. I know it is little tricky to do this on the Marshall since his sound breaks up very early and becomes dirty, but try to get as clean as possible for this one. You should have enough power for this, 100W is plenty. Also for the EQ I can really help that much simply because I don't really know how you whole gear sounds in the space you are in, and these are all factors that are very important. In general I would suggest to lift up the amp (if you are keeping it on the floor) on some 1 meter form the floor, or tilt it towards you in order to better hear the sound from the speaker and EQ from there. Set all the EQ on 5, and go from there. Let me know what you've done or if I can help you on more specific matters, I'll be glad to. Cheers smile.gif

Hey, thank you a lot for your quick answer ! It helps a lot, I am going to check that out what you said soon. If there will be some more question i will take you up on your offer. But thanks in advance !!! rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Nighthawk: Apr 5 2008, 02:26 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Apr 6 2008, 11:41 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

No problem man, it's my plesaure to help smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Jesse
post Jul 19 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5.426

Stevie tone. Thick strings . 0.12 0.13 0.11 those, He has 5 springs for the bridge! Ibanez tubescreamer Gain low very high level. Mostly pretty clean, a fender amp will do. A bit of reverb . Tuning down to E flat. Hit em hard!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 09:53 PM