3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
What Has Happend To Metal
g-forcelover
Apr 16 2008, 09:39 PM
GMC:er
Opeth rocks! anyone here going to see them in Mrytle Beach? (tickets are $20)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Apr 16 2008, 09:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
Can someone explain to me what they mean by music goes in cycles? huh.gif
And when has it cycled before?

Thanks smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Apr 16 2008, 10:23 PM
I have been listening to Dream Theater and hardly anything else for the past 3 months and am still not bored of them.

Check out Muse, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody of Fire, and some others listed here. Make sure to check out Orphaned Land, extremely awesome band.

--------------------

+Quote Post
erik
Apr 16 2008, 10:32 PM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Apr 16 2008, 09:21 PM) *
also check out

Gojira

In Flames

At the Gates

erm will extend the list later.. out of time..

wow, that is pretty much a list of my favorite bands tongue.gif (if you add lamb of god, rage against the machine and children of bodom) smile.gif

This post has been edited by erik: Apr 16 2008, 10:33 PM

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 17 2008, 04:46 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (g-forcelover @ Apr 16 2008, 04:39 PM) *

Yes? When is it? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Apr 17 2008, 05:01 AM
What has happened to metal? It's freaking awesome. If you think it's bad now you haven't seen nothing, when I was growing up in the late 90's early 2000's all there was was Nu Metal, like Korn, Limp Biskit, Mudvayne, etc... there wasn't much good going on then. Now Mastodon has gotten popular, Machine Head, Opeth, Trivium, The Sword, High on Fire, many good bands have relesed great metal albums recently, just do some digging and you'll find something you like, I promise. smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
somecrazyguy09
Apr 17 2008, 05:38 AM
since we're on the topic of metal...

i really like listening to metal but i cant stand bands that scream or growl, i know its popular but i just cant stand it. are there any metal bands out there that are good but dont have constant screaming vocals or vocals that are really low and demonic. like metallica for instance, they're a great metal band but james hetfield never screams or growls he just has a good metal singing voice and i can actualy understand what he says.

+Quote Post
erik
Apr 17 2008, 09:33 AM
I felt excactly like you a couple of years ago. You've probably heard of Iron Maiden. Slayer also doesn't quite growl, they are maybe the heaviest band I know of that doesn't growl. Also check out Pantera, and maybe som glam metal like Motley Crüe (or early Pantera tongue.gif). Also there's a Norwegian band called Stonegard that you might like. And since you already like Metallica: check out Megadeth

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 17 2008, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (somecrazyguy09 @ Apr 17 2008, 06:38 AM) *
since we're on the topic of metal...

i really like listening to metal but i cant stand bands that scream or growl, i know its popular but i just cant stand it. are there any metal bands out there that are good but dont have constant screaming vocals or vocals that are really low and demonic. like metallica for instance, they're a great metal band but james hetfield never screams or growls he just has a good metal singing voice and i can actualy understand what he says.

I dont like thoose kind of bands that you cant understand a word but lets take bands like children of bodom,in flames, arch enemy, archeon and other little more technical death metal bands..... I totally love tem

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Roko
Apr 19 2008, 12:11 AM
I feel your pain... I got really into Metallica, Ozzy, Iron Maiden a little while ago. However, when I look in Guitar Player magazine, there are so many metal bands that I just can't stand. They are either too intense for me, or they are trying too hard...

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 19 2008, 08:27 PM
Learning Roadie
Just to announce to you all, I had a jam session with my drummer friend the other day and I have decided that I am a shiny golden metal god. Look out for me biggrin.gif

But anyway, anyone else going to the myrtle beach opeth show (thanks for the tip gforce)?

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
uberIbanez
Apr 19 2008, 09:01 PM
QUOTE (g-forcelover @ Apr 16 2008, 04:39 PM) *

they are the best band of all time imo, i am going to see them the day before that in atlanta with dream theater
opeth in about 1994 with anders nordin and johan defarlalla, thats mikael with the hat

This post has been edited by uberIbanez: Apr 19 2008, 09:07 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
chetta2323
Apr 24 2008, 03:07 AM
try testament

QUOTE (SEANCD2005 @ Apr 6 2008, 04:08 AM) *
I love old school metal, like metallica, megadeth, and black sabbath, i dont listen to much new stuff for i cant stand it. most of the time i just listen to my , cds, And then when i do turn on the radeo and listen to what is new i cant stand what i am hearing. I have just recently started listening to more progessive metal like dream theater. i feel like i am stuck in what to listen too. NEED HELP!

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Apr 24 2008, 03:19 AM
to extend my list

Children of Bodom

In Flames

Lamb of God

Messhugah

Amon Amarth

3 Inches of Blood

MoonSorrow

Rammstien

Kill switch Engaged

Dream Evil

Mastadon

Annihilator

Arch Enemy

Strapping Young Lad

Devin Townsend Band

Between the Buried and me

Beneath the Massacre

Tool

theres lots of good metal out there smile.gif its all about finding it.. and differentiating it from crappy mainstream stuff smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Apr 24 2008, 03:29 AM
Go on metal forums and you will find amazing metal bands.

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Apr 24 2008, 05:55 AM
LAMB OF GOD... OWNS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPf8BR7YYkw

heres some dude doing the opening riff on guitar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtjpdRJeQEc

This post has been edited by Outlaw2112: Apr 24 2008, 06:02 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
VinceG
Apr 24 2008, 08:23 AM
what happened to it?

It became underground again, just the way it was meant to be.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
jammer91
Apr 24 2008, 11:14 AM
You guys should check out these documentaries:

Metal a headbangers journey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkBACFAGokA

Global metal (my friend told me my face was captured for a second in a metal festival called Dubai Desert Rock smile.gif ):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiOqGIWlFx8

This post has been edited by jammer91: Apr 24 2008, 11:16 AM

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
wylde_guitar
Apr 25 2008, 03:37 PM
Some bands i listen, that maybe are a little hardcore but incredibly good are

Trivium (Anthem, The Crusade)

Bullet For my Valentine (Scream, Aim, Fire)

All That Remains (The Air That I Breathe)

As I Lay Dying (The Darkest Nights)

the song at the end im including so you dont start off listening to their worst song

+Quote Post
Iron King
Apr 27 2008, 06:05 AM
I know exactly what you mean
In my opinion 80's thrash is metal perfected

One thing I can't stand is what I call the "Present Bands". Bands with names like In Flames, In This Moment, As I Lay Dying. I just don't think they sound good, I especially hate their vocals. I can't stand seeing these bands live because to me it just ends up sounding like garbled mess with someone screaming words at the top of their lungs.

If you ask me, metal has to be fast and aggressive but it must have a strong beat to head bang to. Once you get the drop tunning with the complicated lead parts and the double bass non stop... it's just too much, you know? There's no longer a strong and identifiable beat.

Thankfully I think metalcore is just a fad. Nobody will remember them in 50 years, but one thing's for sure. Metal bands, even after our lifetime, will list Metallica and Slayer and other early metal bands as influences.

That being said, I do enjoy bands like High on Fire and Lamb of God.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:09 AM