Ch By Ch Or All Together....
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 10 2008, 04:45 PM
Singing Instructor
Hi, how would you like to be recorded...Ch by Ch,like,first drums,guitars....etc,or that the whole band mic's up and that you record like that...some bands record all at ones...like Pearl Jam...only Eddy re record the vocals after..
So what do you think....smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 10 2008, 07:41 PM
Instructor
Channel by channel is the way to go if you're on a limited budget. If not, and have a spacey studio with some nice sound barriers all at once is nice too. Band must prepare for this one tho, but the result is more natural sounding recording.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 10 2008, 08:12 PM
Singing Instructor
I agree with you Ivan 100%...live recording is the best way to capture band energy...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 10 2008, 09:59 PM
Instructor
i think for a good quality and more profesionality going tracking channel by channel .but if you asking about live
sound so at once more lively.

+Quote Post
JVM
Apr 10 2008, 10:04 PM
Learning Roadie
It depends on what kind of album you're making. If you're billy corgan, you can't possibly capture all the sound you hear in your head in one take unless you have a symphony of guitarists tongue.gif

I personally prefer doing it jam style, but some things are better done channel by channel. Generally I'd say the more complex the music, the more band members, the cleanliness needed for a song to work, or all of the above then the more you want to do channel by channel.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 10 2008, 10:25 PM
Singing Instructor
I imagine that some kind of combination could work good...
record live(band paly great together)..and the just re record some of the guitars and vocals...
I think that that way you could capture energy and good sound with re recordings...
of course I agree with you,it depends on the music style.....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 11 2008, 01:29 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Sometimes you don't have the option if there is only one of you wink.gif Or in my case, 2 people separated by 3000 miles, but the internet still helps us collaborate.

Playing as a band is great for getting the vibe though, even if you go back and overdub some or all of it you still keep the energy - playing in a band means you get more than the sum of parts if it is going well and thats great if you can capture it in the studio.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Iluha
Apr 11 2008, 01:32 PM
GMC:er
I think it also depends on the type of music you'r making, if you record something progressive than recording everything speretly will probably be the easiest way to go, but if you record something rather simple, more vocal driven, like mainstream stuff tongue.gif than recording the entire band together will be quicker.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 11 2008, 01:34 PM
GMC:er
We do a mix. We do it channel by channel unless we have some extended jam sections which are involved in some of our songs which we record in a studio all at the same time. It works really well for us. You can't record a jam layer by layer as it wouldn't be a jam then smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 14 2008, 12:25 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
In order to capture full energy , live recording of all members is a must..And they need to be able to see each other, to feel connected..

By one instrument at a time is cool too..You can do stuff that you would not do in live situation - experiment with different lines against studio recording.. wink.gif And build up your song like a big puzzle smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Apr 14 2008, 12:25 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 28 2008, 12:58 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Apr 14 2008, 01:25 AM) *
By one instrument at a time is cool too..You can do stuff that you would not do in live situation - experiment with different lines against studio recording.. wink.gif And build up your song like a big puzzle smile.gif

This is very correct Bole,we put things in a song when we recorded that we did not plan to, because we had a bit time to experiment in a studio.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:35 PM