Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Small Picking Motion
steve25
post Apr 18 2008, 07:26 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 1.626

This is for anyone who can speed pick. I was just going through one of Kris' lessons on speedpicking and he points out 4 things, one is strict alternate picing, 2 is pick angle, 3 is picking accents and the fourth is small picking motion. 3 of them i'm totally happy with but the fourth i'm not sure about. First of all i don't even know what would be considered as a small picking motion so for all i know i'm doing it already but how can i make sure i'm doing this? I see the benefit in it but i'm not sure ow i can make sure i have a small picking motion and if i don't have one how can i practice to make sure i do get a small picking motion?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kahall
post Apr 21 2008, 04:04 AM
Post #2

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 1.393

I think he is just trying to say don't use your whole arm like your Pete Townsend or something....No windmills. Maybe?

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
post Apr 21 2008, 04:14 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2.523

QUOTE (kahall @ Apr 20 2008, 11:04 PM) *
I think he is just trying to say don't use your whole arm like your Pete Townsend or something....No windmills. Maybe?

Haha good one.

But what he is saying is not to use too big of strokes while picking up and down. It's hard to explain without a video or something. But I think that if you have a metronome and can keep tempo of what your playing your picking motion should be small enough.

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
post Apr 21 2008, 07:33 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 862

Try tremolo picking on one string, start slow and get faster and faster, you should see your picking motion get smaller and smaller, in other words your hand should be moving less and less. When you are picking your fastest you should barely be able to see your hand moving. I think that's what you want. And when you move between strings just to move your hand the minimum amount possible. Metronome practice is awesome for economy of motion, because you just can't go faster if you don't have good hand motions. For me, accuracy and control is more important than speed, if you have those you'll have good tone while picking fast. So make sure you have total control before upping the BPM on the metronome!

Hope this helps, and good luck practicing!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th March 2017 - 01:14 PM