Alternate Picking Problem
superize
Apr 20 2008, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Hey everybody

I have been working pretty hard on my alternate picking for a while but i feel when i go up in speed that my left hand is to slow so my playing dosent sound smoth....

Ay tips on how i can increase my left hand speed

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Apr 20 2008, 10:04 AM
Instructor
I think every exercise that involves different fingerings is good.
Scales, fragments and so on.
You can try all the different combinations for your left fingers while you're playing over the neck.
If your goal is to synch your hands use your pick to play every note.
Something like: 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, etc..
Then you can work with three fingers: 1-2-3, 1-2-4, 1-3-4, etc... end finally using all the four fingers of your left hand.

You can create yourself a lot of exercises using this "philosophy".

Remember to remain relaxed as much as you can and increase the tempo only while you're playing clean.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 20 2008, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Apr 20 2008, 11:04 AM) *
I think every exercise that involves different fingerings is good.
Scales, fragments and so on.
You can try all the different combinations for your left fingers while you're playing over the neck.
If your goal is to synch your hands use your pick to play every note.
Something like: 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, etc..
Then you can work with three fingers: 1-2-3, 1-2-4, 1-3-4, etc... end finally using all the four fingers of your left hand.

You can create yourself a lot of exercises using this "philosophy".

Remember to remain relaxed as much as you can and increase the tempo only while you're playing clean.

Thanks for the tips Jerry

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 20 2008, 10:25 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Follow Jerry's advice and you will for sure improve, things like this might take a bit of time, but if you keep on working on this you will see a result for sure. The important thing is to start at a slow tempo, a tempo in which you don't have problems yet, and only increase the speed slowly. Always make sure that you are able to properly play your exercise at a certain speed before you speed up.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
BM
Apr 21 2008, 02:01 PM
GMC:er
Hey I agree with the method suggested before but I had a suggestion of my own. Use it if you wish. It does depend if you like this style of music but I got a LOT better at alternate picking when I started playing some of the faster and more complex Megadeth riffs. Just a few songs that could help when speed-picking.

1-Holy Wars...The Punishment Due
2-Set the World Afire
3-The Mechanix
4-Tornado of Souls

When I first started trying alternate picking on these songs, to be honest, I sucked. I had the same problem, my left hand was too slow. But the more I continued to try and play the riffs, the faster my left hand got.

It might work for you, of course, it helps if you like Megadeth or that style of music lol

--------------------
"Baptized in a firefight. Hot blood running cold as ice. 44 minutes of target practice. All hell's breaking loose.
Outgunned. Watching the force come to a firefight with a pocket knife.
Getting schooled until they shot Achilles' heel and brought down the beast."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:00 AM