2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Guitar Rig 3 And Other Amp Modeling Software, Is it worth it? Which one is the best?
kaznie_NL
post Feb 6 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #21

Experienced Tone Seeker

Group: Passive
Member No.: 3.471

Guitar Rig is quite expensive. If you don't want a demo version, but you also don't want to pay a lot, Pod Farm with a Pod Studio GX (about 70 euros) might be a nice option.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
post Feb 6 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.341

I agree with Kaz. Gearbox/PodFarm are a cheaper and are very good plugins as well. You can get some great sounds with them as well, specially crunch and clean.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
post Feb 7 2009, 11:24 AM
Post #23

Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Group Icon

Member No.: 4.464

As always it is a matter of personal taste in the end I guess. If you have the chance you should try to download some demo versions of different softwares and play around with them a bit, like this you can decide yourself which sounds you like the most.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
-Zion-
post Feb 10 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #24

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.141

Well, i was successful in my testing of Amplitube 2..

I put my guitar in my multi-effect pedal and over in my sound card.. and it worked.. however there was a slight delay.. it's not much, but it's there..

i now all of you are wondering wth i am doing with Amplitube 2 if i already have a multi-effect pedal?? hahah..
Well, i wanted to see if a software effect program was a lot easier to use and better sounding.. (haven't decided yet)

It worked straight out of the "box" (straight into the line-in), but some say that it would be better to use ASIO, so i have found some Generic Asio Drivers, but haven't tried them yet (maybe it can help on the delay issue???)

+Quote Post
Nermin
post Feb 10 2009, 10:24 PM
Post #25

GMC:er

Member No.: 4.893

I have guitar rig 3. Its great modeling unit. I have mostly used the stock pre sets that come with it and they sound great to me. THere is so many options you can tweak that you can virtually recreate any sound. Definitly try the demo, to get an idiea. smile.gif

--------------------
Some ideas i have recorded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtXfVNlklX0...feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd7_ce2j_Ys

My Gear
American Fender Strat HSS
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50
Larrivee D03R Acoustic Guitar

Effects
Cry Baby Wah Wah pedal
Boss TU2 Tuner

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Feb 11 2009, 01:13 AM
Post #26

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

Guitar rig 3 is great piece of software..But I would recommend checking out Toneport or POD studio devices (ux1 , ux2 etc)...They come with Gearbox software (and/or POD farm) which is essentially the guitar amps/cabs/effects simulator and pretty same as guitar rig 3...OF course the sound is different but Gearbox can make some really good sounds and compete with GR3 very well...Price of toneport/pod studio should be much lower...and you can use its interface for other instruments as well - vocals/bass/keyboards...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
mba64
post Feb 11 2009, 09:27 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 6.199

I whould take down demos of guitar Rig 3 and Revalver mark III and Overloud,so you can try them out and se witch sound you like, everybody has it`s own sound that they like and exeriment with it.

--------------------
LTD WA-600 (EMG JH)
Cort Bass
M-Audio AV40

+Quote Post
rdrock
post Feb 20 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 5.011

I'm using Guitar Rig 3 through my headset. Sounds nice, but would like to purchase either powered monitors or a keyboard amp. GR3 does not sound good through my guitar amp VOX AD30VT or my stereo amp. All ideas welcome.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Feb 20 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #29

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

For the monitors rd it may help to let us know a few more details: price range; intended use; where are you likely to site them; room size, wattage required; etc. That way we can narrow it down smile.gif

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
rdrock
post Feb 20 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #30

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 20 2009, 03:25 PM) *
For the monitors rd it may help to let us know a few more details: price range; intended use; where are you likely to site them; room size, wattage required; etc. That way we can narrow it down smile.gif

Cheers,
Tony

Tony, Room size 15x15, was hoping to spend around $400 US for either 2 powered speakers or a keyboard monitor. Was wondering which way to go. Probably less than 100 watts. I'm also hoping to purchase either a Yamaha MO6 or a Korg keyboard. Therefore the interest in the keyboard amp. The Keavy kB3 or two speakers with 5 or 8 inch woofers were my considerations. I am also running all my music software through a new laptop. If I could get GR3 to sound as good as it does through my headset, I would be happy. Thanks for helping

+Quote Post
GuitarJones
post Feb 20 2009, 04:23 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 6.664

QUOTE (rdrock @ Feb 20 2009, 10:08 AM) *
Tony, Room size 15x15, was hoping to spend around $400 US for either 2 powered speakers or a keyboard monitor. Was wondering which way to go. Probably less than 100 watts. I'm also hoping to purchase either a Yamaha MO6 or a Korg keyboard. Therefore the interest in the keyboard amp. The Keavy kB3 or two speakers with 5 or 8 inch woofers were my considerations. I am also running all my music software through a new laptop. If I could get GR3 to sound as good as it does through my headset, I would be happy. Thanks for helping

I was planning on buying some monitors for my practice room about the same size and was ready to fork out around $400. Then I realized that my little Marshall MG amp had a cd line in so I connected the computer out to this and it sounded really good. I think I paid around $80 for this amp new.

+Quote Post
rdrock
post Feb 20 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #32

QUOTE (GuitarJones @ Feb 20 2009, 04:23 PM) *
I was planning on buying some monitors for my practice room about the same size and was ready to fork out around $400. Then I realized that my little Marshall MG amp had a cd line in so I connected the computer out to this and it sounded really good. I think I paid around $80 for this amp new.

Hey, I have one of those little amps in my attic...I check it out. Thanks a lot!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Feb 20 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #33

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

The Marshall may be fine for the GT3 rd but I don't think it could handle the frequency range of the Motif.

If you intend to gig then I think you'd be best to go with a keyboard amp. I can't suggest any as I don't use them. If it's for home use and recording/mixing/monitoring then I'd look at active near field monitors given your room size. Around the 400USD/200UK Sterling bracket take a look at any of the following Tannoy Reveal, KRK RP G2, Genelec 6010, ESI Near 05, also ones from Yamaha, Mackie, Samson, M-audio...

I used to take my Boss GT8 through to my active Tannoys and it sound great, specially for stereo panned effects smile.gif .

BTW - a bit off topic and early days but as your room is square 15x15 you may want to take a look at Andrew's blog about building a home studio. Square rooms can cause some headaches for siting monitors due to reflections etc.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
rdrock
post Feb 20 2009, 05:00 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 20 2009, 04:52 PM) *
The Marshall may be fine for the GT3 rd but I don't think it could handle the frequency range of the Motif.

If you intend to gig then I think you'd be best to go with a keyboard amp. I can't suggest any as I don't use them. If it's for home use and recording/mixing/monitoring then I'd look at active near field monitors given your room size. Around the 400USD/200UK Sterling bracket take a look at any of the following Tannoy Reveal, KRK RP G2, Genelec 6010, ESI Near 05, also ones from Yamaha, Mackie, Samson, M-audio...

I used to take my Boss GT8 through to my active Tannoys and it sound great, specially for stereo panned effects smile.gif .

BTW - a bit off topic and early days but as your room is square 15x15 you may want to take a look at Andrew's blog about building a home studio. Square rooms can cause some headaches for siting monitors due to reflections etc.

OK, just measured the room...13X15. Thanks for all your help everyone. I think I'm on the right track now. Sure doesn't take long to get good answers here. Much appreciated!

+Quote Post
GuitarJones
post Feb 20 2009, 05:10 PM
Post #35

QUOTE (rdrock @ Feb 20 2009, 10:32 AM) *
Hey, I have one of those little amps in my attic...I check it out. Thanks a lot!

Cool cool.gif Let me know how it works for you

+Quote Post
rdrock
post Feb 20 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (GuitarJones @ Feb 20 2009, 05:10 PM) *
Cool cool.gif Let me know how it works for you

Well, I did what you said. It worked just fine, (through the CD input) and sounded much better than my VOX modeling amp. Thanks for the advice.

+Quote Post
GuitarJones
post Feb 20 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (rdrock @ Feb 20 2009, 12:17 PM) *
Well, I did what you said. It worked just fine, (through the CD input) and sounded much better than my VOX modeling amp. Thanks for the advice.

You're welcome. Glad it worked and will hopefully be good enough. I've found mine to be a good computer speaker for everything I do on the computer

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 05:46 PM